Motorola Event August 2nd

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested to see if they unveil a new Moto 360 smartwatch. Finally getting rid of the flat tire, maybe? :)

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm also interested to see if they unveil a new Moto 360 smartwatch. Finally getting rid of the flat tire, maybe? :)
It's possible, but I highly doubt it. They seemed pretty adamant a few years back that they were done with the watch business.

Based on the latest rumors, we will see a new Moto Z3...(something, maybe a Force or maybe a plain Z3) partnered with Verizon with a 5G Moto Mod that would allow the 4G phone to connect and work in 5G towers. That's just a rumor, but it's what I believe will be announced today. That, and maybe their new Motorola One phone. But since the One phone probably won't work in the US, that may be a different release from their Brazil offices, sometime later.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I still haven't seen any place advertising a live stream. Maybe there isn't one? Maybe it's just the invited reporters on-site and we have to wait for them to update their respective sites?

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I still haven't seen any place advertising a live stream. Maybe there isn't one? Maybe it's just the invited reporters on-site and we have to wait for them to update their respective sites?
Almost as bad as waiting for a Soak.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
450 channels and nothing to watch

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It looks like some of the rumors were true; a Z3 non-force model (no more Shattershield) exclusive to Verizon at first and possibly released to others later on. No word on any new Moto Mods yet.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't feel like a "5G upgradeable" phone is all that....why doesn't that come standard, as I assume it will with other phones coming out?

And something tells me it will never work as well as those phones for which it is originally and deeply integrated in the software/hardware.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
$480 and available through Verizon on August 16th. The 5G Moto Mod was also real, and will be released "later", making the Z3 the first "5G Phone". Cool.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't feel like a "5G upgradeable" phone is all that....why doesn't that come standard, as I assume it will with other phones coming out?

And something tells me it will never work as well as those phones for which it is originally and deeply integrated in the software/hardware.

I'm sure it will not work quite as good as built-in 5G technology.

But if the 4G to 5G switch is like it was from 3G to 4G none of our current phones will be upgrade-able.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Last edited:
OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's the way I read it also, all former Moto Z's will be compatible.....if (and that's a big IF) 5G comes to your city / area while you still own a Moto Z. The first 4 cities are supposed to slowly get 5G starting in 2019.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's the way I read it also, all former Moto Z's will be compatible.....if (and that's a big IF) 5G comes to your city / area while you still own a Moto Z. The first 4 cities are supposed to slowly get 5G starting in 2019.

TBH, I'm not sure why I would need 5G (have heard it may not penetrate buildings as well as 4G does). And as long as I can get 20mbps+ tethering, I really don't need more.

Plus, it sounds like VZW is going to target home broadband....and probably cable tv.... for it's 5G service more than mobile (which makes sense, see above). But before I go out and buy a new phone, it gives you pause that VZW could offer some pretty good bundled deals for mobile and home broadband (and they already partner with Comcast).

Comcast currently sells bundles with VZW mobile for like $40 a month for unlimited everything (throttled after 22GB or whatever). But then I give-up my unlimited plan, and am locked into Comcast when they start gouging me on the post-promo cable pricing. No thanks.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have read that also, it may not be as good inside buildings as 4G.

None of us probably need 5G right now. But Verizon wants to be the first to roll it out Nationwide. Like all the carriers do. This is their cahnce to say they helped with the first 5G enabled phone.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
There is also an advertising/PR angle to it. They can say that they have the first and only 5g network. In the public's mind 5 is higher than 4 so 5g must be way better than 4g even if it really isn't in some respects