Moto Z4 General Discussions

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here is the place to discuss thoughts, questions and overall general discussions about the new Z4 while we wait for it to start shipping and can get some hands-on reviews.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just an FYI post to get started. For those that may not be aware, there are two variants this year....both named Moto Z4 (no Force model and no Play model). There is an Unlocked version available for pre-order through Moto right now, and a Verizon version coming June 13th.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just FYI.... according to a post on the Moto Forum the Z4 does not have Moto Voice and therefore no Moto - Driving Mode. I am really bummed about that.

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
They should make a force model and make water proof Pogo pins. I put my z2 force in a water proof swim bag when swimming

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
They should make a force model and make water proof Pogo pins. I put my z2 force in a water proof swim bag when swimming

No Force model this year and no Play model. Just a Z4. We have to realize that Shattershield - Force phones are done.

tomthbomb

Reaction score
The Motorola unlocked version is being offered now with the moto 360 camera mod for $450. Is there any reason to wait a few more days for the Verizon (my carrier) version?

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Motorola unlocked version is being offered now with the moto 360 camera mod for $450. Is there any reason to wait a few more days for the Verizon (my carrier) version?
Just a rumor. There are rumors suggesting Verizon will offer it for $100 less without the 360 Camera, straight up price. And another rumor suggests Verizon will offer it for $240 if you have an upgrade available and agree to their 24 month payment plan, so it would be $10 a month for 24 months. But again....these are just rumors at this point. The $450 - $499 price with the 360 Camera isn't bad if you want the camera.

tomthbomb

Reaction score
I went to Amazon and saw it with Alexa and the camera for $490 ready to ship.
Ok, help me out. I have always bought my phones from my wireless carrier. How does it work with an unlocked phone? Do you just walk into the Verizon store with your unlocked phone and say "turn on my service"?

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You just put your existing SIM card in, turn it on and let it activate on the Verizon network. Then follow all other normal Android setup. The only reason you would need to go to Verizon if there was an issue recognizing your existing SIM. Which doesn't happen often. Other than that the only real difference is a non Verizon phone doesn't have the My Verizon app pre-installed and doesn't display "4G" for the data signal, it will display the standard Android data signal triangle symbol.

tomthbomb

Reaction score
How do the app's and data not on the sd card transfer?

I've had Motorolas since my first bag phone in 1996 but have never done the above.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There is an option to copy data when setting up a new phone. It works OK most of the time. All your existing apps will start to auto-download onto the new phone if you go that route. For me personally I always set up each phone as "New" and then download apps a few at a time and setup them. As far as data like picture ea and music....you have to have it backed up somewhere and then copy it to the new phone.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The 675 chip in the Moto Z4 has been getting a lot of negative attention in tech websites, tech reviews and forums. Here is a video from a reviewer that explains why the 675 is actually a good choice and a good chip for this phone.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
How do the app's and data not on the sd card transfer?

I've had Motorolas since my first bag phone in 1996 but have never done the above.
Go to setting, Google, backup and select what you want backed up to cloud. Afterwards when you turn on new phone it will ask if you want to restore data from a backup.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk