Moto Phone Portal - Droid to PC Media Sync(and More) via WiFi

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I came across this older article a while back and haven't seen it discussed here except a small mention in one unrelated thread a while back. This article came out pre-Droid release so maybe that is why it was missed and doesn't seem to be common knowledge here.

Anywho, if you haven't seen or tried this offical Motorola Phone app is it very impressive. It is used very simply over WiFi to your PC/Laptop.

You can save/restore/edit SMS messages, Phone Call logs, Contacts, Browsing History, etc, etc.

You can also send SMS messages via the PC browser.

There is no setup involved and it is browser based so no software is needed on the PC. Literally stupid-proof as long as you have a proper WiFi connection. The only real setting available is an option for Secure Login.

Quote from Article:

"MPP lets you add/edit/delete/browse your contacts, photos, bookmarks, browser history, and media in an easy-to-use interface. Playing media directly from the device in the browser worked very well, and the picture viewer/slideshow feature is pretty damn cool. So with MPP you’ll be able to play/show-off your media anywhere from any browser."

Here is the article link, you should consider reading it and it works just as advertised. (app download link in article is dead as of yesterday, zip is attached below) The article implies it was supposed to be included with the Droid when released, but obviously wasn't.

Fresh Leak: Moto Phone Portal for Android coming w/ Sholes/Tao/Droid? :

Zip file attached below, download and extract personalportal.apk and install with Astro etc.

UPDATE 01/21 - Found newer version from Milestone dump that also supports USB and WiFi!! Seems to need some additional software or drivers for USB support but the option is at least in the app.

There are now 2 versions:

Version 0.29.02 - Early Version with no support for USB, but seems to work faster over WiFi

Version 1 - Later version with USB support, but seems to work slower over WiFi

Try both and see which one words the best for you.

Last edited:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
WAAAAA??

Going to d/l that and give it a run, sounds almost to good to be true. If it works GREAT FIND man. Thanks.

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
WAAAAA??

Going to d/l that and give it a run, sounds almost to good to be true. If it works GREAT FIND man. Thanks.

No doubt it works, been using it for weeks. Haven't tried everything on it but so far it does everything I ask of it. Not sure why Moto hasn't promoted it other than the subsidies it probably gets from the Developer of MML when people upgrade to the paid version.

I also like that this doesn't add a gizzilion MBs to my PCs like MML, zero footprint and it is very fast compared to MML..and NO USB CABLE!!

The only real "negative" I have seen so far is even when you exit the app if does like to stay alive in running services. So when you are done with it for awhile I recommend going to Menu>settings>Applications>Running Services and stop it.

Last edited:
OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
I have never tried it before until now, but you can even delete individual Phone calls from the Phone Call log..very handy for those guys/girls trying to hide certain calls recieved or placed :) You can also do the same thing with individual Web Browsing History records.

Last edited:

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Nice Find :icon_ banana:
I like this much better than other apps I have tried to use with the DROID.
I am putting this in the KEEP folder on my computer !!!

darkjester73

Reaction score
works great so far for me.. except i wish it would also show videos you have on there as well or sync that as well. Double twist works great for that but would be nice to do that by wifi when you cant find your cable. Also wish there was a way to back up the whole phone instead of just contacts. Great find. Wish i had this about a week ago when i had bought my phone and transfered all my contacts from my old carrier's phone, and had to type them all by hand. The contacts interface works great here and would have been better to type it on full keyboard. Less having to "add contact" button pushing if you catch my drift.

OP
928Droid

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Thanks guys, glad you like it, I was happy when I found it also.

It is a shame Moto seemed to have abandoned it, this could be an even more stellar app with some more "attention" paid to it by Motorola.

Last edited:

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
If only it would let us type in googlechat. It does let us type SMS messages.

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
Ahhh, has anyone figured out how to run this over USB? I'm at work and wanting to play with it, but don't have access to WiFi here. When you start the program, it says you must connect over USB or turn on WiFi. So I'm assuming it can be run somehow from USB.

I've tried with the phone mounted and unmounted, but no luck.

I want to play!!!!!!

SirBuckley

Reaction score
So does this app only work on the Moto Droid, or is it applicable to the HTC Eris?