Moto explains why they locked the bootloader

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by titans, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sic0048

sic0048 New Member

There are less than 100k members on this forum. What % of those root and want to load custom ROMs? Perhaps 10%, maybe 25% at most. While I realize this isn't the only forum of it's kind, you can see that the hacking community is a small % of users.

I haven't seen any recent Droid sales numbers, but it took 72 days for Motorola to sell 1,000,000 units when it first came out. I'm sure sales have slowed since then. So perhaps 1,500,000 units have been sold in total.

Lets say that 88,000 users represents all Droid users on all forums combined. After all there are 88,000 members of this forum, and the represent a lot more phones than just the Droid.

Lets say 25% of all those members root their Droid - equals 22,000 people. That would account for 1.5% of all Droid users. This for a phone that is easily hacked so more users are willing to try to root.

I realize these numbers are not scientific or even that accuate at all. But my point in all of this is to show that rooting isn't a large % of users. I have no doubt that Motorola makes/saves more money by encrypting their systems than the lost sales (perhaps 1-2%) that they would gain by actually not encypting their systems.

The bottom line is that all the hackers could rise up and boycott Motorola and it won't change Motorola's stance. The money equation just doesn't work in our favor.
  2. tt8698

tt8698 New Member

Moto does realize that the droid is the most popular android on the market? and the fact that the community behind it is the strongest and one of the most developed I do not understand why they would do this to all there phones most ppl who don't know how to root do not because they don't understand it I may be making a switch to htc because of this reason next time my contract is up now I'm fustrated haha

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain New Member

Even though I'll have a Droid X, I actually wish someone would make a virus that ends up bricking all Droid Xs. It'd be a PR disaster for Motorola, and they'd fall more in line with future devices. They're starting to be like the "Apple" of Verizon. I don't care how great your vision for phones is, I don't want it force-fed to me, Motorola. *glare*

Definitely the last Motorola device I'll be buying.
  4. sin vicious

sin vicious New Member

Well said... i just dont understand droiders would want to stifle innovation or create an environment where phones would cost us 700.00-800.00 to cover lost revenues.
  5. mflynn

mflynn New Member

With that said and I agree with you, does the average consumer care?

I mean just look at how they flock to iPhone. I bet if I walk into my verizon store right now, and ask the salesman (or woman) about the encrypted boot loader, I'd get a blank stare. Only a small minority care about this, in so much that it will have no affect on moto's bottom line nor will it ever.

Personally, I'm having a hard time justifying dropping my Nexus for the droid x.
  6. sin vicious

sin vicious New Member

Very mature.. geesh to meet your own unreasonable demands you would want innocent droiders to brick their phones?
  7. h_10

h_10 New Member

1. i think your #s for rooted droids is way too low. i would estimate 10% of all droids are rooted, and that's being conservative.
    2. let's assume that your numbers are correct. the droids cost about $500. consumers pay $200 and vzw makes up the rest. either way, motorola will get their $500/unit. 22,000 rooters will not be buying a droid X. that's $11M in gross revenue that they are losing. (22,000x$500=$11,000,000). you don't think motorola cares about $11M in gross revenue?
    3. let's assume my estimates are correct and that 10% are rooted. that equals $75M gross revenue.
    4. this is hypothetical and assumes that all droid1 root users will upgrade to droid x, but you can actually get a sense of the scale that moto is gambling with.
    5. i'm assuming that moto did the financial analysis behind their droid1 success vis-a-vis rooting and factored that into their decision on future models and locking. if not, they are in for a rude awakening.
  8. Happystranger

Happystranger New Member

After reading all this I still feel confident in getting the X. When I got the Droid on launch day, I didn't even know about rooting it and oc'ing it. Sure it has its advantages, but personally, the only reason I rooted in the first place was because the 2.1 update was taking so long. I don't really use my Droid in anyway that would require an overclock. I've tried different roms and honestly they were mostly the same, except for the fact that some had more bugs than others. My point? The ability to root is not making or breaking my decision for the X. I'm almost certain other future phones will be the same.
  9. hendrix

hendrix New Member

Do you honestly think that the droid is the most popular android phone on the market because you can root it? Nope, it is because it was the first android device on verizon.
  10. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Nothing unreasonable about it. With Motorola going down this path you do not own your phone but merely pay for the right to use it as they deem fit. Kinda like buying a car and being told you can ONLY get gas from BP and no one else. Even if the nearest BP is 100 miles away.
  11. Googleaddict

Googleaddict New Member

I'm very disappointed with motorola right now. I never i thought i would say this again, but my Droid might be my last Motorola phone, unless something comes out at the end of the year that blows everything else out of the water.
  12. Mule65

Mule65 Member

I'd bet the farm on the under. :)
  13. sin vicious

sin vicious New Member

Interesting.. but it think you have to look at other factors like:

1. How much support is used because of bricking (employment costs)
    2. How much revenue is lost in potential realestate space (trial sofware)
    3. Loss of IP going into other phones that were not properly liscensed

I can almost guarantee you that it is more then 11 million dollars
  14. sphen22

sphen22 New Member

I personally don't think this is comparable to apple products. Apple has a single phone to choose from. Andriod has several different hardware and software variants. Choose the one that is best for you.
  15. abaez

abaez New Member

16. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Correct as a whole no it isn't comparable to Apple. When comparing ONLY Motorola to Apple it is.
  17. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

18. Mule65

Mule65 Member

You also need roads, a drivers license and to abide by laws.
  19. sin vicious

sin vicious New Member

Im so happy you used cars as an example. Because, there is a speed cap right? Isnt it referred to as a regulator? But you do still own the car, right? Listen buddy, no matter how spin this... your wrong. Plus, wishing ill will on other droid users is just plain immature and just shows how a portion of a community can go on a "entitlement" binge. Not cool! :icon_eek:
  20. *22899

*22899 Premium Member Premium Member

I see no reason to worry someone will crack it! Lock it down so what. There is no wrath worse than a then a smartphone geek with lots of time on his hands.

Its like a game they do their best to stop it, we show them where their mistakes are. :)
Search tags for this page

bootloader license with proprietary software

locked bootloaders lgpl