Moto explains why they locked the bootloader

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by titans, Jul 14, 2010.

1. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Title misleading.

There was no explanation given.

Just a PC vague statement which contained nothing.

2. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One this blog is outdated most of the post are from February and March. And two Motorola didn't really explain why they lock it down.

3. DrSarcasmo

DrSarcasmo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently ALL new Moto Droids from now on will be locked. This is a quote from Lori's second post:

"Also, I've seen statements that indicate people believe that the Milestone is the only secured Android handset or that all Motorola Android handsets in the US are not secured. Neither of these is correct. Motorola has announced nine different Android handsets under twelve different names (MOTODEV > Products). I'm trying to confirm this, but I believe the Droid is the only one of these nine handsets to boot unsigned images. Now, I don't expect this news to win over a bunch of new fans, but I did want to make more correct information available."

So, if you want to use custom ROMS, you can:
    A: Hope someone cracks the new Droids
    B: Purchase phones from companies who don't lock their phones
    C: Purchase an original Droid and hold on to it for dear life

So bloody sad...It's even sadder that I will go ahead and get the damn Droid X anyway, as I need a smartphone now.

But I will finish this up with an idea. A way to fight back. To regain a little dignity after Motorola kicked sand in our collective faces. It's only a germ of an idea, and if you hackers and crackers and new riders of the smartphone frontier dig it then pass it on and empower yourselves. If not, it was a fun exercise concocting it.

I"m putting forth a new term for general use in the phone hack community.

MOTO verb (derogatory) To lock down a device so it's code can't be modified
    usage: I was gonna get the HTC Wafflestomper but they MOTOED the bootloader, so I;m gonna pass on getting this phone.

See, it's a simple idea, but if enough people start to use it in the community, well, Motorola might think twice about continuing this practice if their name becomes synonymous with digital facism. I'm aware that Apple currently holds this crown, but if enough folks are unhappy with Motorola, well, this is one way to fight back. To let your voice be heard.

Feel free to modify this concept to your heart's content.

4. mflynn

mflynn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not tired but I'm finding that the need for custom roms is less so. For instance my Nexus, has the ability to have different glowing notifications on the trackball. A nice feature to be sure, but the DX has no trackball.

Tethering appears in Froyo, another reason and so while the custom roms as various customizations they may not be as needed especially as google enhances android.

5. hendrix

hendrix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a big fan of stock android (the little bit that Moto adds to it is fine). The only thing i need is root and wifi tether (I can live with wired for now).

6. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My suggestion is to write a letter or email to Motorola showing your displeasure in their decision. I also strongly suggest, regardless of whether or not it is upgrade time or not, to NOT purchase the Droid X or any future Motorola products. For that matter make it a point to tell everyone you know that looks to you for tech advice to avoid the Droid X and Motorola products. Point them to products that are known to be open and available for root w/ an unencrypted boot loader even if they never intend to do anything with it. All companies, Motorola being no exception, listen when people vote with their wallets. Now is the time to make that statement otherwise we will never see a device as great as the original Droid ever come out from Motorola.

7. hendrix

hendrix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is the fact that most people don't care about root. The majority just want a phone that works and motorola provides that.

8. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It has nothing to do with caring about root. I don't care if they EVER root or load a custom ROM. Point them to another device. Hell tell them to get a freakin iPhone. I don't care but take the business away from Motorola. The only way any company will listen is when their bottom line is hurt and not until then.

9. hendrix

hendrix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My point is that you will never take enough business away from Moto to matter just by telling someone, "You can't root this device."

10. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently you just don't get it. This is another reason why Motorola will continue down this path. Make your voice heard and your opinion known to ANYONE that will listen, including Motorola. Don't buy their shiny toy and encourage others to avoid it as well.

11. garath

garath Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it's a vocal minority. I am willing to bet the average consumer doesn't care one lick if you can flash custom ROMs or not. Moto is building a great phone first and foremost with a ton of great community apps that work even without root access.

I think it's safe to say that starting a campaign of "boycott the phone" won't hurt their bottom line. Even among the phone enthusiasts that will actually hear the message, I sincerely doubt more than a small portion will not buy such a good phone for lack of custom ROMs.

12. Mule65

Mule65 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Reading between the lines of "business factors", third party entities are paying for their apps to permanently reside on these units.

PS: This is old news from last February.

Search tags for this page

bootloader license with proprietary software

locked bootloaders lgpl