Moto Droid Supposedly Getting Froyo on 7/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMU_Droid

Reaction score
Wow, the Verizon rep you spoke to was quite a dimwit. But yeah, Froyo isn't out yet for the Droid. If the update comes out while you're out to sea, then you'll get it as soon as you come back. It's not like you'll miss it or anything. And all of the Froyo references you are seeing are for rooted phones which have access to Froyo roms.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can see it being confusing coming here because every thread is about Froyo for rooted users. It used to be that you couldn't post about rooting but that rule went completely out the window.

seahawk1984

Reaction score
LOL, yea, I wasn't to impressed with that person I was talking to. Usualy Verizon is pretty good. I was just looking at some of the other threads on how to update a Moto Droid to 2.2, but I think I'm just going to wait until it's officialy released. Realy love how I have the phone set up now, don't want to make things worse by fiddling with it. dancedroid

YA123

Reaction score
FroYo on motorola droid 1 release date?

I know this question was definitely answered before...but I'm getting frustrated again...now I remeber why motorola was on the brink of failing

tkimball00

Reaction score
I know this question was definitely answered before...but I'm getting frustrated again...now I remeber why motorola was on the brink of failing

probably never just like last time root and never wait again

samsonite801

Reaction score
Boy am I so glad I learned from these forums how to easily hack into, and obtain root access to my Droid and do all this cool breakthrough stuff months before the actual 2.2 release date arrived.

Our family just had a reunion over at my place, and I showed my brother today a flash news clip off the local TV station website from the evening news which had a cool article on etiquette in which they interviewed my niece (his daughter) on camera for around a 30 second segment (hey, I thought it was cool that she was on TV).

So before he had a chance to even see the clip, I was trying to explain to him verbally how it had went, and it just made him want to see the clip even more right then. He was busy cooking at that moment (for our reunion dinner), so it was really cool that I could just whip out my Droid right there on the spot, in the kitchen (without having to go hunt down a real computer with a real web browser just to be able watch this clip) and so therefore I was easily able to just browse to the normal web page in my default browser (which happens to be xScape browser) to watch the flash clip right there.

And earlier that day, my mother who is visiting also, said she had missed her daily fix of the Glenn Beck Show, so of course, I just pulled the Droid out that time too and let her watch it right off the Insider Extreme from the xScape Browser as well, and it worked perfectly too, didn't skip a beat of Adobe Flash content for a straight 4 hours of playback. I've been using the wholey crud out of Adobe Flash Player ever since I upgraded to this capability.

I even had to start carrying around 2 extra spare batteries in my pocket lately to support my extra internet time I use now since I got 2.2 installed. I've had this JRummy Froyo 2.2 'Kangerade' installed for almost a month now, and some variant of Froyo 2.2 installed for closer to 2 months now. I've got Kangerade dialed-in so fast/ smooth now, and the screen image is so gorgeous with the new LauncherPro home launcher UI installed and after being so spoiled with this wonderful setup, I am afraid to ever install the stock OTA non-rooted Froyo when it ever does release, because it is not near as cool looking nor does it have even close to the features like wireless WiFi hotspot tether or any of the crucial features which I've become so accustomed for quite some time now, not to mention just being able to have the basic root access for doing custom scripts and installing anything you want whenever you want anyway.

Sorry, if I come off as sounding as though I might be suggesting that you should hack your phone, as that would be a decision only you could make, but rather, I just wanted to share my story here to maybe offer another perspective to you about what is available to you today, and even right now if you decided.

Plus I was really excited to tell somebody my new story about my showing my brother that flash video of his own daughter on TV with it, because he is always making cracks against my Droid and always talks like his iPhone 4 is the King of all phones, yet his will NEVER be able to play Adobe Flash content since Apple's CEO Steve Jobs has a personal beef against Adobe Labs, and thus will never sign agreements with Adobe to ever support Flash on iPhone, or any other Apple product ever. This is sad, because Flash is such an essential part of the overall internet viewing experience, and Mac/iPhones are such a popular product with many grandmas across the globe.

One last funny thing, today he told me he is so pissed at his iPhone and wants to maybe return it before his 30 days is up because he admits now that for the last 2 weeks he has been in a self-induced denial about the highly publicized antenna problem where your hand makes contact on the bare exposed metal antenna trim piece and shorts out the signal. He showed me the problem and then I messed around with it myself and tried to recreate the issue, and I was stunned at how easy it was to reproduce the issue. He did tell me that the rubber phone condom fixes the issue but that he is not a phone condom kind of guy and that wont work for him.

He also said another problem driving him nuts is the facial proximity sensor is also very buggy on this new iPhone 4 that the screen always turns on when phone is against his face and his cheek is always bumping the End button and hanging up on calls. Then reads about it and figures out that this is another highly documented problem that iPhone 4 users are starting to complain about a lot. He said his old iPhone 3GS did not have this problem and that it is new.

Sorry this turned into such a lengthy post and had all this iPhone fluff in it but I couldn't resist the desire to flap my virtual jaw for so long. It was fun to see the iPhone go down in all its perceived glory as he's spent so much time relentlessly defending the iPhone 4 on a daily basis.

By the way, here is the screen shot of my Droid running the JRummy Froyo 'Kangerade' 2.2 ROM (v5.0.9 built from source) running P3Droid kernel casually overclocked up to 1 gHz CPU speed (550mHz stock speed), and using LauncherPro v0.6.4 home launcher UI (has the scrolling dock with up to 15 customizable dock shortcuts):

Froyo-2.2.jpg

I like to call it the iPhone 4 killer (well the only thing it doesn't have is the dual facing cameras, but whenever I do video chat, I prefer to exclusively use my netbook tethered via WiFi to the Droid (when I'm out and about), since I like how the netbook will stand up on its own (wont tip over) and has a bigger screen to see the person your talking to better. And besides, with iPhone's PROPRIETARY program Facetalk, even if I had the iPhone, I don't know anybody who uses Facetalk, since our family and all my friends I know only use Skype when we do video.

seahawk1984

Reaction score
Wow! I think that is the longest responce I have ever had to one of my post. LOL. BUT after reading it I am tempted to root my phone. I am quite good with computers, so rooting my phone shouldn't be to difficult, and I did see a tutorial on how to root the moto droid to 2.2 here in the forums someplace. So, I may attempt it tomorrow. I'll be sure to post my results.
I just found launcherPro app today, and I LOVE it, best home app in my opinion, and I have bought all of the otherones, such as openhome, just to find out that they slowed down my phone, and crashed a lot. But launcher works like a charm!
Oh one more question about rooting. If I do root to froyo 2.2, will I still get update message when it is officialy released? And if I do, what then? Do the update, or no?

seahawk1984

Reaction score
Got yet a other question, if I root my phone, will I have to download all my apps again? Would I be starting all over from scratch, as if I just got a new phone?

Raceredmx

Reaction score
Well Seahawk I'm new to all of this as well and as others have said I don't want to talk you into rooting your phone if you don't want to but I rooted my phone a few days ago using this guide... How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid
I followed everything step by step and in response to your question about your apps and data I didn't lose anything afterwards using Droidmods root method (not sure if there are other methods :confused:) the only things that I lost were my text and call logs. My apps and contacts were still on my phone.

Ice_Cold

Reaction score
Why is it almost every ones response to the update questions, "Root and you'll never have to worry about it again?" Have those of you that say that ever think maybe we dont want to for various reasons? I'm tired of seeing the answer to half the question root and dont worry. I know how to root but I dont want to because If something should happen to my phone I'm screwed at work. I'm vary rarely at the office any more

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here is an accurate date:

Between now and the time Gingerbread is released.

Please stop making these threads

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why is it almost every ones response to the update questions, "Root and you'll never have to worry about it again?" Have those of you that say that ever think maybe we dont want to for various reasons? I'm tired of seeing the answer to half the question root and dont worry. I know how to root but I dont want to because If something should happen to my phone I'm screwed at work. I'm vary rarely at the office any more

BTW-nothing will happen to your phone

The droid 1 is nearly immposible to brick!

Status
Not open for further replies.