Milestone's OTA update to 2.0.1

Skrilax_CZ

Reaction score
well it is not quite sure beeing about the IMEI, but multiple rumors think its IMEI based!

Well I guess it doesn't matter actually ...

Unfotunately the Motorola Software Update (the program used to update SW on Moto phones) is not supporting Android phones as it seems, so there is no way of bringing a firmware there. Anyway if per chance somebody succeeds using Motorola Software Update and it flashes an updated firmware, don't hestitate to upload it (because root).

OP
R

rsilves

Reaction score
well it is not quite sure beeing about the IMEI, but multiple rumors think its IMEI based!

Unfotunately the Motorola Software Update (the program used to update SW on Moto phones) is not supporting Android phones as it seems, so there is no way of bringing a firmware there. Anyway if per chance somebody succeeds using Motorola Software Update and it flashes an updated firmware, don't hestitate to upload it (because root).

I used phones which had different operative systems developed by Motorola, and those were updated with MSU. But Android is an OS developed by Google. Motorola works on it to adapt it to its own hardware, but they don't change it that much in order to add a custom software updater.
If there is any "official" way of updating Android OS using a software (by google?) in the computer, Motorola might be able to add a capability to MSU to make the phone think it is Google's software.
But I understand that to update the phone manually, you have to put the update file on the SD card and then restart the phone in a special way and it updates. Actually, I'm not sure if this is only for rooting the phone.

Rodrigo.

Skrilax_CZ

Reaction score

I used phones which had different operative systems developed by Motorola, and those were updated with MSU. But Android is an OS developed by Google. Motorola works on it to adapt it to its own hardware, but they don't change it that much in order to add a custom software updater.
If there is any "official" way of updating Android OS using a software (by google?) in the computer, Motorola might be able to add a capability to MSU to make the phone think it is Google's software.
But I understand that to update the phone manually, you have to put the update file on the SD card and then restart the phone in a special way and it updates. Actually, I'm not sure if this is only for rooting the phone.

Rodrigo.

I think Motorola deprecated MSU on Android because it is its own way of updating (OTA or update.zip). I am not aware of an official way by flashing with PC, as RSD Lite doesn't count, yet it is used by modders and works for Android as well. As reported from the CLIQ, you can even mess up both recovery and boot, and still you can revive the phone using RSD Lite (since it only needs the "Moto bootloader"), so having such possibility is great advantage. The structure of the flash file is parsed.

I'm not saying that this is the only way to root, but in the way developped on the CLIQ the hole is on Motorola's side, not Google's, so it's likely to be there for Milestone and other Android Motorola's devices. Secondly it will also work on 2.1 preinstalled Milestones, where AFAIK the Droid method is already fixed.

DAGr8

Reaction score
Well as soon as the first milestones will have their OTA update, the package will be traced, exctracted and published to several forums ;)

but there wont be an opportunity to install via computer!

you have to explain that to me rintintiger , why would I not be able to put the rom in my sdcard from my pc or to flash it via rsdlite or any other options known to work on previous motorola/android phones ?

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Well as soon as the first milestones will have their OTA update, the package will be traced, exctracted and published to several forums ;)

but there wont be an opportunity to install via computer!

you have to explain that to me rintintiger , why would I not be able to put the rom in my sdcard from my pc or to flash it via rsdlite or any other options known to work on previous motorola/android phones ?

Sure you can put the rom on sd and install it.

I just ment that there is no "Dekstop Manager" like for blackberry, loading updates and installing them.

Skrilax_CZ

Reaction score
RSD Lite flashes are not update.zip format. They contain whole firmware (stock ones).

Skrilax_CZ

Reaction score
RSD Lite flashes are not update.zip format. They contain whole firmware (stock ones).

Basically , yes and no ...

Well I get what you mean, the content in it is moreless the same (except system, which is the whole image), however structure is different competely :p

Well my whole point is that you are more powerful having those flashes (especially recovering the phone).

Last edited:

pajo

Reaction score
according to motorola facebook, update has started for italy and france

"Motorola Europe To all our Android fans, we’d like to share that the staggered release of the 2.0.1 update has started with France and Italy today, 18 January. Germany and the UK will follow shortly – as soon as we have the confirmed date, we’ll post it here. Please see the discussion for more details: http://bit.ly/8hj33n. If you need additional help, here’s a link to service centres per country: http://motorola.com/support, thanks"

MILESTONE 2.01 and 2.1 | Facebook

Last edited:

theXeffect

Reaction score
setup wizard does not workon 2.0.1 milestone.....

help any idea....i cant sign on my google account cuz the setup wazard is not working i wipe the phone n still nonthing happen.....how do i get bac to 2.0? help!!!

Techneut

Reaction score
help any idea....i cant sign on my google account cuz the setup wazard is not working i wipe the phone n still nonthing happen.....how do i get bac to 2.0? help!!!

This is what I got:

Important! If you have a Googlemail account enabled on your device, you will need to manually restart Google Auto-sync after the update is complete
To restart Auto-sync, please perform the following steps on your device:
1. Tap and hold on the home screen
2. Select 'Widgets'
3. Select 'Power Control'
4. Now the Power Control panel should be on your home screen
5. Disable and then enable Auto-sync from this Power Control panel
6. Your device's Auto-sync should now resume

Hope this helps...