messages loading very slow

billyanks2

Reaction score
I've been having some trouble lately with loading messages. It sometimes takes over 45 seconds for a text message to open up after I've tapped on the notification, and once in a while it'll force close. Does anyone have any idea why that's the case?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try going into settings and clearing the cache for the app ur using to text.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree, built up cache can have a great effect on performance and speed

OP
B

billyanks2

Reaction score
I use the stock messaging app. I went to clear the cache but it was already empty.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
try deleting some of the texts u have..

OP
B

billyanks2

Reaction score
yea, I like having my text history, if that's the only way I can speed it up, I'm satisfied with leaving it as-is.

Chad_G_77

Reaction score
I had this same problem and eventually had to take my phone back and get another X. I was never able to pin down the problem. I removed apps, restored to stock, even had the local Verizon store erase/restore everything. Within a day, it was back to being sluggish and would take a LONG time for texts/contacts to load. The new phone works perfectly and I don't have these problems anymore. If you're still within your 30-day window, you might want to try an exchange for a new phone.

OP
B

billyanks2

Reaction score
nope, I got the phone on launch day. maybe froyo will improve it?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nope, I got the phone on launch day. maybe froyo will improve it?

Froyo will not have anything to do with texting. I think if you want to keep your messages you'l need to learn to live with it.

I should warn you that Droid has and may delete text on it's own. I've seen many people complain about losing their text messages. That's primarily on the Droid, X may be different.

Chad_G_77

Reaction score
Let me go into some more detail about my experience and you can make your own decision on what to do. First of all, go download Astro from the market (if you've not already) and backup all your apps.

My phone was doing as you described and taking a very long time to load messages, switch between contacts, load address book, calendar, etc. It was also force-closing a lot on various apps and even rebooting at random. I stripped my phone back down to the bare apps and it was still loading slow. At the time, I also think the Facebook app had a major glitch with synching your contacts and this caused some problems. The final straw was when I decided to remove the FB app. The uninstall stopped during the middle and never made any more progress. I had to do a battery pull to get my phone to respond. When I put the battery back in, I was looking at the red eye of death and it would never do anything else but stare back at me (for over an hour until I got to the VZW store). They reset it, and did a factory reset so at least I was back in business. Phone was speedy again. I didn't install any apps that evening but did link it to my gmail account (1,500 + contacts). The next day, my phone was already starting to be sluggish again. It crashed multiple times and at that point I called Tech support and they ordered me a new phone. I've had no problems with the new one like I did with my first phone. I talked with others on forums that were having the same problem and we never could diagnose it. I was one of the first to get the phone on launch day so it might have been a bad batch at the beginning?

If you want to wipe your phone and start from scratch you can give that a whirl. Just backup your apps first for easy reinstall later. I also don't have my twitter account synched with my phone. I use an app instead and I think Twitter was slowing down my contacts a little. Keep me posted...

PapaJerseyG

Reaction score
I have been having the same issue. I got my Droid X the first week it came out. How can I clear the cache for the native Text Messaging app? It's not listed among the applications in settings. Would I just delete old messages in that case, or is there running memory that can be cleared, too?

I think my issue actually started when I installed an SMS popup notification app, but there's no way to be sure.

Thanks