Message app won't rotate into landscape.

mm718

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Mate 2
Hi,

I am old guy, vision issues, and I've never used a smart phone in my life so please be patient. The message app on my new Huawei Mate 2 phone will not rotate into landscape. I need it to rotate so that I can see the (larger) keyboard. This orientation is much easier for me to type in both because of the size of the keys and hand position.

Using Android. 4.3...

Any help here would very much be appreciated. Thank you,

Mike

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hello Mike. Do other apps rotate when the phone is rotated? If you check Settings > Display > is there an option for Rotate Display (or maybe rotate screen)?

I'm not familiar with your phone, but there are lots of knowledgeable friendly people here & some one may be more familiar with that phone model.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
M

mm718

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Mate 2
Thanks for your reply, Sajo. Other apps do rotate but not all. Auto-rotate is selected but still the messaging app won't rotate. I tried a restart but it doesn't seem like a glitch that can be reset, certain apps just aren't rotating.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Are there any options for Rotate in the Messaging app Settings (usually either a 3 dot symbol or a 3 line symbol to open specific app settings)?

OP
M

mm718

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Mate 2
No luck there either... Thx.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well, at least you ruled out all the obvious options to look at. I would recommend going into your Play Store app and download a texting app. Many folks like Chomp or Textra. There are a lot of good, free text apps. Once you download it, find it in your app drawer and open it. Then see if that new text app rotates into landscape view. If it does, then the stock text app that came with the phone just does not have that functionality. If the new app does not rotate also, then there may be more to investigate.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Well, at least you ruled out all the obvious options to look at. I would recommend going into your Play Store app and download a texting app. Many folks like Chomp or Textra. There are a lot of good, free text apps. Once you download it, find it in your app drawer and open it. Then see if that new text app rotates into landscape view. If it does, then the stock text app that came with the phone just does not have that functionality. If the new app does not rotate also, then there may be more to investigate.
Agree 100%. Find an app you like that works the way you want it.

Google messenger allows screen rotation.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
If you choose a new app for texting you will need to choose it as default.

Sent from my New Note 7

OP
M

mm718

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Mate 2

You anticipated my next question. Thanks for the recommendations. I've downloaded chomp and will give it a try. It's nice that it allows font customization. Very helpful. Thanks again.

Edit: It does indeed rotate.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You anticipated my next question. Thank for the recommendations. I've downloaded chomp and will give it a try. It's nice that it allows font customization. Very helpful. Thanks again.
You are welcome. There are a lot of friendly & knowledgeable people here ready to help. If the new app still does not rotate into landscape, let us know and I'm sure someone will have an idea.

Edit: Saw your last remark. Good to hear. Enjoy your keyboard in landscape mode now.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to Droid Forums, mm718! Kudos to Sajo, member that starts with m, yes, Mustang, & efin for getting you ready for landscape texting. Like Sajo mentioned (and as you noticed), we have a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here to help out so don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
You've gotten some great advice from some of the best on here! FWIW, I use Handcent, it's a love/hate relationship, but when it's good, it's really awesome. It depends on their updates. Sometimes they're buggy. Anyway, it rotates fine. Very customisable & offers a plethora of options. Best of luck to ya!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Welcome to Droid Forums, mm718! Kudos to Sajo, Miller & efin for getting you ready for landscape texting. Like Sajo mentioned (and as you noticed), we have a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here to help out so don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
You mean mustang?