Maker of "Angry Birds" seems to prefer Apple

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Yep, I think Angry Birds cost about 6 bucks in the app store . . .

Not too far off, $4.99. It's only 99 cents for the iPhone version, and there is a free Lite version available as well. Then there is the Seasons version that has about 40 levels at $1.99 for the iPad and 99 cents for the iPhone.

I think the price of the iPad version is worth it. The extra screen makes aiming easier, and the graphics and action are beautiful. Hopefully when there are more Android tablets on the market they will make a version for them as well.

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Makes sense.. android has so many different phones with different hardware so it must be a pain to make an app then realize its not compatible or it isn't running right on some devices.

Also.. there's more iphones and ipod touches and as a developer im trying to make money so why wouldn't I prefer apple over android lol

While I can see that, now that there is an Android version, why not just add a paid key to remove the ads? It may not generate much money, but it should add some to his bank account.

Gritwater

Reaction score
so he can make some money, just not the maximum amount because it inconveniences his?

If ads are that much of a problem for ya, root, and download adfree. Or turn on airplain mode

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
I remember buying Infinity Blade and Rage HD..I think Infinity Blade was like 6 bucks and Rage was like 4 or 5.. I ain't gonna lie.. 6 bucks is pretty steep for a game but have you seen it? Pure eye sex it is lol..

brianes99

Reaction score
he does pose a valid point

a real big advantage for apple is 1 software, 1 hardware profile (for the most part), where android software is tweaked by each phone manufacturer. You see this problem in app updates where they will update to make it work better on one or two particular phones that are having problems.

As a software developer, which would you prefer? the apple single line development or the code you have to include in the program to match any phone possibility?

as to his second point, yes we prefer free apps, but the developers have bills to pay too.

Mirodd

Reaction score
I happen to agree with the developer. I use Android because I have Verizon, but I too prefer the way Apple operates. Surely iOS isn't as open as Android, but I don't think that open is inherently better. It's a matter of how it's implemented. If you leave something open and unregulated, you also leave it open to unnecessary fragmentation and complexity. I hate the fact that the manufacturers and carriers hijack the Android experience by adding their own skins, crapware, and so forth. I want pure untainted Android. If I want a skin or software I should be able to add or remove it at my discretion without the need to root my phone. Moreover, with all these manufacturers, choice and features can be overwhelming. I prefer simplicity, unpretentiousness, and real choice. Certainly, Apple doesn't provide all these, but they come the closest.

Natey2

Reaction score
I hate the fact that the manufacturers and carriers hijack the Android experience by adding their own skins, crapware, and so forth.

I agree.
But unless you paid $500 or so for your phone, the manufacturer and/or carrier has subsidized the cost of the phone. They do it for a reason. And they hope to recover that cost in any way possible, including getting paid by the vendors of the apps we don't like.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Mirodd

Reaction score
I hate the fact that the manufacturers and carriers hijack the Android experience by adding their own skins, crapware, and so forth.

I agree.
But unless you paid $500 or so for your phone, the manufacturer and/or carrier has subsidized the cost of the phone. They do it for a reason. And they hope to recover that cost in any way possible, including getting paid by the vendors of the apps we don't like.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
Interestingly, I did paid $500 for my phone. I am rarely, if ever, eligible for an upgrade when I buy a new phone, so I usually pay full retail for my phones. As to the subsidy point, I think Apple subsidizes their phones too and yet the iPhone isn't subjected to the same policies. I just think that Google has taken the open-free market thing a bit too far. Take the PC world, for example. We all know there's very little money to be made in hardware (one of the reasons IBM sold their hardware unit), so often when you buy a computer it's are loaded with bloatware. Some manufacturers now allow you to buy a bloatware-free computer for an additional cost (I believe it's $50 or more with Sony). (Maybe the phone manufacturers and/or the carriers should adopt a similar policy.) Still, even if you buy a computer with bloatware, you can just uninstall it. With Android you have to root your phone to achieve the same thing and void your warranty in the process. You don't need to jailbreak an iPhone to get rid of crapware, because it doesn't come with any. I don't see why the Android (or Google) ecosystem is so different. Why can Apple do it and Google can't? Android today has just as much draw or popularity as the iPhone and Google certainly isn't a company without influence or money.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you could make a butt load of revenue, sales AND have bloatware wouldn't you ? It's been Verizons m.o. for so many years to add "revenue enhancers" it seems to just be acceptable by Verizon sheep. Since GIN days they have been doing it. Android is just another way to make revenue. The bloatware sits idle but for those who want to pony up $ for their uses it's embedded already.
When it starts hurting sales is when it will stop. Those who think the ViPhone will be bloatware free I truly believe will be disappointed. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see Verizon changing its business model for anyone.

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

Mirodd

Reaction score
I don't see Verizon changing its business model for anyone.
VZW isn't going to allow the iPhone to slip away from them twice, so I am pretty sure they'll concede to Apple's demands, and, trust me, Jobs isn't going to allow them to put their crap on the iPhone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see Verizon changing its business model for anyone.
VZW isn't going to allow the iPhone to slip away from them twice, so I am pretty sure they'll concede to Apple's demands, and, trust me, Jobs isn't going to allow them to put their crap on the iPhone.

We are getting off topic here. We are discussing why the developer of Angry Birds prefers Apple over Android, not whether or not the iPhone is coming to Verizon.

fox_dye

Reaction score
I think that the more secure android can make the market and its paid content the more popular it will become with developers like rovio. Its just to easy to steal peoples work. You pay for the app copy it and get a refund. Then you have less reputable sites that tell you how to crack the game or other software. I have spent a good deal in the android market because everytime I buy an app if my wife likes it then it gets bought again. I have friends that want me to give them copies and I tell them to just spend the 2 dollars and buy it. When this behavior stops then we will see some premium developers dive into android and give us the content that we want. Developers got bills to pay too and they will follow the money. So like others have said its not about them liking apple more its that people spend more money on their ipods, iphones, and ipads.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....

bake3020

Reaction score
Angry Birds

:hail: Can someone tell me about this game? I have seen it around and all but I do not have it. What are the costs associated with, is it free, does it use up your phone minutes, and does it use up your meg/gig allotment on a droid?
I am completely dumb when it comes to this.
Thanks

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
:hail: Can someone tell me about this game? I have seen it around and all but I do not have it. What are the costs associated with, is it free, does it use up your phone minutes, and does it use up your meg/gig allotment on a droid?
I am completely dumb when it comes to this.
Thanks

It's in the Market. It's free, supported by in game adds. It's just a game and does not effect your minutes, or your data except for what you might use downloading it. If you download it while on a WiFi network it won't even effect that.

Here's Rovio's home page.

Rovio - Home