Make your case for Google+

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by Fr33dom, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Fr33dom

Fr33dom New Member

Google+ is out in Beta. I know several folks here use it and I want to know how and why.

I've read that the Google+ app is a battery hog. Is it? Do you prefer it over the facebook app? Why?

I'm not being a curmudgeon here. I'm a Facebook user and use it to keep up with my kids and the rest of the family. I also know I can connect the two accounts, I just don't see a reason to bother.
  2. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

I have google+, and while nice.. I don't see it ever replacing facebook like some people first predicted, kind of how Facebook beat out Myspace. It's not as user friendly, the app is definitely a battery hog as it seems to run full constant for some reason. May be a bug, I'm not sure. It's definitely nice and cool, but facebook is definitely more user friendly. And now that it has video chat, I don't see any reason why anyone would switch completely. Not to mention, not many people use it. I'm 18 and have told plenty of my friends about it and they're just like, "I'm not switching, nothing can beat facebook" and whatever else. I personally know no one that has an account. Just people I talk with on here and other forums.

If anything, I see it becoming a site for people like us to keep touch with.. friends we don't really know personally. Kind of like how a lot of people use Twitter.

Unless Google busts out some huge marketing campeign showing how much better it is and really selling it, I don't see it growing as popular as Facebook or Twitter.
  3. JesterMX6

JesterMX6 New Member

i use both facebook and google plus. i dont really prefer one over the other but i run both apps on my phone and get good battery life.
  4. Endoroid

Endoroid New Member

I think Google shot themselves in the foot with the invite only, I used it, I like the concepts in it, but had hardly anyone on it so gave up. Having to deal with invites was a turnoff to people.

Sent from my rooted xt860
  5. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

In my experience, the google plus app is definitely not a battery hog. Heck, it hardly uses any battery at all. As for actually using google plus in general, I like it a lot. Maybe even better than facebook. The thing that's ruining it for me, and a lot of other people, is that not many in person friends of ours use it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  6. mcgrunt42

mcgrunt42 New Member

Its still in beta. It will spread more when its released to public. I live the gui mu h more than facebook and facebook is getting cluttered and lost its coolness . Too much drama.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  7. jpblock82

jpblock82 New Member

I love the look and the layout much better than facebook. The mobile app is great compared to all the fb mobile apps IMO, and my battery seems fine btw. I hope more and more start using it. Just today I've seen dozens of complaints about fb new desktop changes..

It really is an arms race to see who comes out on top, like blu-ray vs. Hd-dvd... only time will tell.

8. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

Needs to go public asap

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  9. Snow02

Snow02 New Member

It already did.
  10. jpblock82

jpblock82 New Member

Today it did just that

11. mysticalmalissa

mysticalmalissa Active Member

I love google+ and since its now out of beta, I believe more people will start using it. I do not find it as a battery hog at all. Ive alerady got a lot of my fb friends on there.
  12. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I definitely prefer the sharing method of Google + over Facebook. It's simple and easy and allows you to share content with only who you want (even making that content "unsharable" by others if you choose). It just moved in to BETA yesterday allowing anyone to join without needing an invite so I expect it's growth to jump very quickly.

It's nice that I can follow anyone (I don't need to be accepted as a friend) though I will only be able to see their "public" posts unless they add me to one of their circles which would then allow me to see all their "public" posts and posts to whatever circle they added me. If they don't post public...I don't see anything.

Plus you can actually edit your post without having to delete it and re-enter it.
  13. JesterMX6

JesterMX6 New Member

i retract my previous statement. I logged into facebook last night after posting and they AGAIN changed the layout of everything. Google+ wins hands down for nothing else but the simplistic and logical nature of it. like how facebook was when it first emerged.

i just wish it would take off and everyone would jump ship.
  14. Yonnor

Yonnor I r Teh Greetest

Google+ goes public the day Facebook does another one of its terrible updates...lol Coincidence?
  15. google.me.bruh

google.me.bruh New Member

Basically facebook sucks lol.

16. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Never used FB. So I can say that G+ is better...or I can't...? ;)
  17. JayR_

JayR_ Theme Developer Theme Developer

Love g+ longtime facebook user mainly because thats what everyone else i know uses, however i never care much for it. Finally glad to see something like g+, ive been slowly converting my facebook friends list to g+

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  18. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

the whole beauty of facebook when it first started was the fact that it focused on the people and had a very clean look. That's why it beat out myspace. Myspace got so big and commercial that it just led to increased clutter to the point where people just didnt want to deal with it anymore. Facebook is going that same route with all of the clutter it keeps throwing out. The advantage of google+ is that it provides a clean interface and actually focuses on the people and their interactions. Facebook will eventually go the myspace route. In fact its already started. It may not be google+ that replaces it, but something else will come along.

Plus I don't see what the big deal is with google+ being invite only at first. I had facebook when it first came out and you needed an invite to use it. Seemed to work out well for them in the end.

Edit: Like jay said, the reason people arent using g+ more is because of the hold outs that refuse to move away from facebook because they don't know people on g+. Its like when you're trying to go to a party and you ask your friends if the want to come and people say "well whos coming, I'll go if so and so is going". When everyone takes that attitude and no one commits to going to the party, no one goes.
  19. Fr33dom

Fr33dom New Member

You can always say.
  20. Fr33dom

Fr33dom New Member

So what I think I read is that almost everyone is not having problems with Google+ battery use and almost all think it is superior to--or at least as good as facebook. Especially after the facebook lift.

I guess I'll give it a spin, thank you all for chiming in.