Jorte/Google calendar help on family calendar

fishacura

Reaction score
Hello all. My wife and I both have droid 3s, we both have jorte installed, and we both have gmail accounts. Let's call us Mike and Mary :)

So I'm going to use my google calendar (mike's calendar) as the "family calendar" so in google, I granted mary read/write access to that calendar.

So Mike can now see the "family" calendar on Jorte on his phone. Here's my question....since this is the default family calendar, is there a way to get Mary to see it on her phone as well because she is showing Mary's calendar which is really not used.

Another option would be to see one view with entries from both. Basically, we're trying to figure out how to have one family calendar that would appear on both phones...

Any thoughts?

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Send an invite to mary from mike's calendar.google.com (web site). Or mary can request an invite via her calendar.google.com (web site). So, send and approve the invite and go into jorte and choose to display the extra calendar.

EDIT: This is another way but I don't know if I'd use it... Alternatively, in Mary's phone settings, add Mike's account and sync only calendars. Then in Jorte options select the option to show Mike's calendar. The above method might be better though.

Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
I will try this tonight. Thanks! This syncing stuff can be tricky and there's not many manuals on how to do it. Thanks for taking the time to hook me up!

NoBloatware

Reaction score
No problem, I use Jorte too and I just tried out the first method and it seems to be working great. Note that when approving the invite on the google web site, you can choose what level of control that you want the person to have. If you trust her, let her have complete control over adding/deleting events, etc.

The second method that I mentioned seems like overkill unless you want to share more stuff...gmail, etc.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
OK...getting there but not quite. Here's what happens. I actually used my wife as the main calendar so we'll say we have three points of entry:

1. Jane's google calendar at a PC
2. Dick accesses Jane's calender as an editor via a PC
2. Jane's phone
3. Dicks phone

So here's what happens

1. When Jane updates her calendar at a PC, it updates both phones
2. When Dick places an entry into Jane's calendar via his google acct it updates both phones
3. When Jane updates an entry on her phone it updates google calendar and Dick's phone
4. Here's the problem. Dick enters an entry into his phone. It updates the calendar online but never makes it to Jane's phone. WEIRD!!! Some sort of sync issue but I cannot figure it out yet. There are so many damn sync combinations! At one point I was getting double entries but I think I figured that one out. More to come...:mad:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Hmm...I don't know why it wouldn't sync back to Jane's phone unless Jane's phone's calendar sync is turned off. There could be some kind of data corruption though. You might try clearing calendar data via phone settings > applications

I'm not sure about "so many damn sync combinations". When I tried it out, it was pretty simple. I may have complicated matters by mentioning that you could add another person's account to your phone's account list. In retrospect I shouldn't have mentioned that. The easy way is:

1) have one person login to calendar.google.com web site and invite the other person
2) after getting the invitation email, OK it
3) on the guest phone go to jorte settings > select calendar > choose calendars > check both calendars

If you're adding any more steps then perhaps that is the problem.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Yes I think you are right re: too many settings. I had each of us set up each others phones with the other person's email account and then checked sync email only. Perhaps I didn't need to do any of that??? Actually in hindsight re-reading your first note more closely clearly I used 2 methods instead of one OR the other. A big word like "alternatively" confused me :p

Last edited:
OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
OK Interesting update. Kind of working again. Here's the "rub"

When I go into my phone, and go to settings, accounts, and click on my gmail account, I show a screen with 4 checkboxes showing what I want to sync (mail, calendar, etc...) they are all checked.

When I go into my wifes phone and go to the same screen, there are no checkboxes...the options are there...but where the checkboxes are on my phone are simply icons of wheels which will spin when you manually sync but clicking settings/sync from this screen. If I do that, her calendar syncs. In other words, her phone for some reason is not automatically syncing her gmail account and there is no option here to change anything.

Anyone know why that might happen? The only option I can think of is to delete and re-add the gmail account but because it's the main phone account it says that requires a factory reset and she'll lose all her pix.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Make sure that "background data" is checked in her phone settings.

In general, check your data saver settings. I keep mine on performance mode.

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
First...THANKS for continuing to respond to this thread becasue I am at my wits end. Data settings all look okay (was one of the things I checked to ensure they were the same as mine). Not sure why her settings in the gmail account would look different. As I mentioned, I have checkboxes, she does not....WEIRD! Of course mine is rooted running deodexed and hers is not but that shouldn't change that I wouldn't think. I don't know what options I have other than to do a factory reset but I have to get an app to save her gallery pix or she will kill me:)

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Longpress on a clear area of her home screen. Add the power control widget. Make sure that the two arrows in a circle (sync) is turned ON. You can then delete the power control widget. Let me know how it goes!

OP
F

fishacura

Reaction score
Nobloatware you are a FRIGIN genius. That was it! Now tell me this...how would I know to go there and where else would that setting be besides the power widget? TERRIFIC JOB! YOu really hooked me up. THX!:hail:

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Nobloatware you are a FRIGIN genius. That was it! Now tell me this...how would I know to go there and where else would that setting be besides the power widget? TERRIFIC JOB! YOu really hooked me up. THX!:hail:

Cool! I have no idea where else that setting is! I thought it was the same as "background data". I guess not. And how did it get shut off in the first place?

EDIT: I think that this may be a bug introduced by Motorola. Each account used to have a set of arrows in a circle to toggle sync on and off. I wonder if the fact that this feature is gone is Moto Blur's fault. See the picture here: http://www.laptopmag.com/advice/tips/disable-auto-sync-on-your-android-phone.aspx

Last edited:

Fr33dom

Reaction score
It seems some settings do not have a related menu entry or that the menu entry isn't fully sufficient for every condition.