Google+: Facebook should be _very_ worried

Discussion in 'Android News' started by JohnDroid, Jul 6, 2011.

1. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

[​IMG]

Facebook made a name for itself by starting as a closed network available only to Harvard students initially and then branched out from there to other college campuses. It gave an air of exclusivity to the network and gained critical mass through that approach. After they had reached a stage where they could no longer be ignored they opened the floodgates and allowed anyone onto the network.

Many Facebook users have already grown tired of the network, and having Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa view every update of your drinking binge or dirty joke certainly hasn't helped the feeling of being overwhelmed with your information being shared with everyone and no easy way to fix it.

Google+ is banking on a totally new way of sharing information and giving you an easy way to decide who get's to see exactly what... without making you jump through hoops to do so. Facebook would have to turn their entire culture upside down to accomplish this and it goes against everything they've said they stand for in the past... the open sharing of ALL information.

Early adopters can make or break a social network, and Google+ seems to have attracted and won over a huge percentage of very valued early adopters. I'm talking about Hacker News users and their near total preference of Google+ over Facebook.

As seen in this poll: Hacker News | Poll: Google+: Like it/prefer it to FaceBook, Google+ has over 1023 votes that like it and prefer it to Facebook, vs 160 votes that prefer Facebook over it.

That's a huge margin of victory for a beta product that is still very tough to get into and does not yet fully support profiles for Google Apps. If I'm a Facebook stock holder at this point, I would be very worried. We all know how fast a large social network can fall from grace. Take a look at Myspace - from $580 million to $35 million over a course of less then 6 years. And in reality, they were pretty much in the coffin after only 2 years.

Now I don't believe that Google+ will kill Facebook but I do believe that it will steal a large amount of market share and prevent Facebook from taking over. It will make Facebook honest with how it treats app developers and users, much like Android has done to keep Apple honest and more open.

This is good for consumers and good for the Internet as a whole.

As an aside note, we have put up an entire site dedicated to Google+, you can visit it at this URL: Google+ / Google Plus Forum

(Source: http://www.googleplustalk.net/forum/google-news/15-facebook-should-_very_-worried.html)
  2. Java

Java New Member

We won't know anything solid until it's open to the public. The anticipation isn't really killing me, but I still can't wait to try it out. I probably wouldn't vacate my Facebook, however.

The video chat feature (especially if it works with Mobile Phones, which it seems like it will) and the separation of groups so easily are really setting it apart from Facebook.

If Facebook wants to counter, they will simply implement a more user friendly List system. But I don't think that'll be able to counter the video chat features of G+ or the application versatility that it will have very quickly, being a part of Google.
  3. jseah

jseah New Member

Technically, Facebook is not a public company, so it's not like their existing shareholders can up and sell their stock since it isn't publicly traded. Depending on how much noise Google+ can make over the next few months, it may have a sizable impact on Facebook's valuation when the rumored/planned public offering finally does come around. In the end, when Facebook does go public, Mark Zuckerberg will still be a billionaire, just that he may only be worth $2-3 billion rather than $10 billion.
  4. chasehammer

chasehammer New Member

its rigged pretty sure. i voted for I like it but done prefer it to facebook and the tally didnt move...
  5. UNC

UNC New Member

Facebook in trouble? PFFFT. They just rolled out integrated Skype video calling on Facebook today!!!! Google+ looks awesome, but it will not have any ill effect on Facebook.
  6. The Robot Cow

The Robot Cow New Member

I doubt facebook has to worry.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  7. bplewis24

bplewis24 New Member

Google+ kicks the crap out of Facebook. As soon as I can get the bulk of my true friends on there I will simply stop logging into Facebook.
  8. Byakushiki

Byakushiki New Member

I'm making that jump the moment I can, I mean, I got a virus off of facebook. It doesn't deserve my trust at this point.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world.
  9. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

i already prefer google+ over facebook,, but i dont think facebook has anything to worry about. they have 500M+ members, there's not going to be any issue of them collapsing.
  10. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

11. DroidXDoes4G

DroidXDoes4G New Member

How can I get into this Google +?
  12. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

you have to be invited as of now, but Google has shut down the inviting because of the demand. dont know when/if they'll open it up again
  13. BigRich93

BigRich93 New Member

Can I get an invite from anyone. EMAIL REMOVED
    Appreciated! :icon_ banana:
  14. X_TAC23

X_TAC23 DF Super Moderator

15. jimboman

jimboman New Member

Facebook is only still around cuz it's really the only show in town for MOST users.

Google+, from what I've seen, will definitely rival it. Far richer function and superior quality user experience. Privacy will definitely be an issue for both.
  16. bplewis24

bplewis24 New Member

Whether or not Facebook should be worried is a question for a few years from now. Think about how long it took for Myspace to start losing members. It doesn't happen overnight. I don't think Facebook would ever die, but when members start using G+ it may take time away that they usually spent on Facebook. For FB, that means lost advertising revenue as well as other types of revenue they generate through user clicks and activity. G+ definitely has the potential to steal time away, the question is how much and how many users?

Brandon
  17. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

not that I think FB will go the way of the do-do bird.... but when it first came out, myself, and many others, thought there was no way it was going to over take MySpace.... and we all know how that turned out.
  18. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

My last status update on FB was asking if anyone wanted an invite to G+, and that I was dropping FB as soon as enough of my friends got on.

Actually... my last G+ update was asking google to come on with the invites so I could drop FB.

:-D

*customized tapatalk signature*
  19. Limbwalker

Limbwalker New Member

I don't know if I'll drop Facebook, that's a wait and see thing. I do know I'm very intrested to see where this G+ goes . . . dancedroid
  20. bp328i

bp328i Theme Developer Theme Developer

I like some of the features of G+ like when I post pictures that I may not want my employees to see they don't because of the circles feature. I can post it to just my friends circle and none of my other friends in different circles will see it.

I also like that I now no longer need to press anything on my phone to upload a picture. I take the photo and within 2 minutes it's uploaded to my account (In a private folder until I do something with it, of course)

It has so many advantages over Facebook because it connects many of the things I use already like, gmail, Picasa, and my Thunderbolt, those three are just quick off the top of my head.