Make My Droid A WiFi Hotspot with Tethering?

mmcompute

Reaction score
If I wanted to:
  1. Use my Droid as a Wi-Fi hotspot
  2. Use my Droid to tether my laptop without using PdaNet
how would I do this? I know there must be a topic here but I don't know the terms to search for..."rooting"???

Thanks for any help.:motdroidvert:

shiccy

Reaction score
Droid 1 has been deemed 'incapable' physically of Wifi tether. I know from personal experience that it *IS* possible if you're rooted. Other than that, you've got no chance of accomplishing that. Please note that I rooted and immediately had issues with increased freezes, force closes, etc. and this was on multiple builds. In all honesty after playing with root for about 1/2 a month and having a droid that was frozen so badly I had to battery pull while on vacation and NOT at an opportune time, I immediately unrooted.

I played with the tethering for about 1.5 hrs while rooted w/ my laptop (3G wifi tether). Honestly I've never EVER experienced a connection that was SO slow that wasn't attributed to connectivity issues (I didn't have any w/ my computer/phone) In essence it sounds like an awesome feature, but is honestly the most annoying freaking thing to me to have to wait for 2 minutes for a site to load.

If you connect your droid device to your laptop directly via the included cable, you can do that with stock Droid. Please note that even though the function is on your device and they're allowing you to do this, that does NOT mean that you are able to have unlimited internet for tethering purposes, and please also be aware that this may NOT be covered by your cell plan (aka you might have to pay out of pocket for all those little kb/mb's that you use up).

Finally, this is the first phone I've LOVED. That being said, I HATE its battery life. If you think yours is at all the slightest bit crappy, just WAIT until you start tethering!

Ps- Rooting sections is greater than half of the boards... If you can't find it after actually looking through the threads, let me know and I can provide a direct link.

truckbutt

Reaction score
I use PDAnet and connect my netbook to my unrooted Droid via Bluetooth. I find that the speed is as fast or faster then using the browser on my phone. As long as you don't use it to download large files like software or movies, you should be fine with your wireless provider. Just keep track of your data usage on your provider's web site. If you are using your phone on wifi, you can use it unlimited as wifi isn't counted in your data limits.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My experience has been just the opposite of shiccy's. I rooted almost a year ago and have had a wonderful experience. Anytime you have reboots/freezes it is almost always due to a bad install of the rom, kernel or theme (or all three!!).

After rooting all you have to do is to install one of these apps (Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code) for wireless tethering or one of these (Downloads - android-wired-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code) for a wired tether app. These will allow you to connect your laptop to the Droid for surfing.

I also do not find it to be very slow. It is basically just as fast as your 3G connection on the phone. It is faster than a dial-up connection and slower than a cable modem. But if you are out and about and don't have access any other way, it is great. I would not recommend using for huge amounts of data, but checking a few items via web, it's hard to beat.

Good luck. Just be sure to very thoroughly read about rooting before you do it. Have fun and keep us posted.

jpeters6

Reaction score
I have a d1 and rooted with bugless beast .05 and i just use the included tethering apps. I dont use the wired one...but the wireless one has been working great. I have had a connection problem but that was due to my bridge i had set on the laptop. After i fixed that issue..I have had 5 people on at once with no issues and no interuptions.

weinmc

Reaction score
Ok...I am new to all of this. What is" rooting"? Is there any way to use my droid 2 has a hktspot without paying for it?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Search around. What is root is one of the most commonly asked questions. If you can't take the initiative to do your own research then you really shouldn't consider it IMO.