WiFi Hotspot (AP)

QMaverick

Reaction score
I'm just wondering whether anyone has had any luck using the Moto Droid as a WiFi hotspot in AP mode rather than Ad-hoc. In other words, like a traditional hotspot created by a traditional router.

Currently, I'm rooted and using barnacle, which works great, but only as an ad-hoc network.

I know there has been other discussion on this, but I had trouble finding a definitive answer using the search function.

Thanks!! dancedroid

OP
Q

QMaverick

Reaction score
yup, rooted running FRG22D. An app is what I had in mind, yup. I use Tether right now for USB tethering, which works very well, and Tether even claims that it somehow doesn't violate the TOS, but I would like to set up WiFi as an access point rather than Ad-Hoc, because some devices have issues with Ad-Hoc.

OP
Q

QMaverick

Reaction score
When I used the first one, I got the stupid sign-up-for-Verizon-tethering web page.

steveliv

Reaction score
When I used the first one, I got the stupid sign-up-for-Verizon-tethering web page.

hmmm.. mine worked with both programs... when i checked usb tether in the system setups menus i got the verizon sign up page, but not the two programs i linked to

OP
Q

QMaverick

Reaction score

hmmm.. mine worked with both programs... when i checked usb tether in the system setups menus i got the verizon sign up page, but not the two programs i linked to

I will give it another shot--maybe I tried a different apk or some such. Thanks for the advice!

steveliv

Reaction score

I will give it another shot--maybe I tried a different apk or some such. Thanks for the advice!

try using the following version of the wifi tether -> 2.0.5-pre2 (Masterblaster)

OP
Q

QMaverick

Reaction score
Well, I downloaded them again, and there seems to be no problem. Must have just been the version I tried (which was quite some time ago).

Thanks again for the quick help.

steveliv

Reaction score
Well, I downloaded them again, and there seems to be no problem. Must have just been the version I tried (which was quite some time ago).

Thanks again for the quick help.

Your welcome. It's nice to be able to tether when i need to use my laptop and wifi isn't available. Isn't the Moto Droid a great phone?