LG charger on a razr

huskur

Reaction score
Ill bet my right nut you do some testing you'll find any of them will work for any name with no issues ...

You are correct. Just as you use a trickle charger for a RC car that takes 14 hours to charge at low amperage or you can quick charge in 20 minutes with a standard charger. Works the same phone chargers

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Exactly.
Tolerances are built in to allow this.

A standard is a standard, and all standards have specifications of targets as well as tolerances in a range around those targets. As I said, the USB standard is applied in the case of laptops and desktops, as well as the USB data communications of these phones. This is why you can depend on the compatibility of your phone with those devices, even in the case of the USB charging standard.

What you can't depend upon is that all manufacturers will remain compliant, especially those who only manufacture third party charging blocks. They don't use the USB logo so they don't have to. There is absolutely no incentive for them to do anything more than convert the voltage from AC to DC and step it down to the voltage needed. They don't win any points with consumers if they pay attention to quality or accuracy, or of they provide good filtering or protection circuitry especially if consumers are led to believe all USB power supplies are created equal.

In fact there is far more incentive to cut corners, use cheap components, and build as cheaply as possible since we as consumers will demand the lowest price if we believe a charger is a charger is a charger. These things can be had for $3 (correction; $1!!) off some sites from overseas manufacturers. Here, I can't even buy the components let alone the board, jacks and case for that price.

You believe what you want you believe but for MY RAZR, I will remain "Powered By Motorola"!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
sally if I gave away all my secrets then nobody would need me!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text. Please excuse any minor grammatical punctuation or capitalization errors thank you.
Ergo the name "FoxKat".

iconicflux

Reaction score
Look up the Magnussen Moss Act.

There's a number of ways that vendors can't refuse warranty claims. Most vendors know this and just count on people not understanding what their rights are under the law.

Do you have a source to backup this statement? If so, I'd be interested in reading it because I don't believe it. If a manufacturer is going to provide a warranty for their product, they have the right to make the terms.

Aside from the OP's original question, why not just use the charger that came with the phone and avoid any (potential) headaches? It's not like you're paying extra for one when you buy the phone.

busab

Reaction score
I use a T-Mobile charger on my Razr while I'm at work. It makes my screen go bizerk when I touch it so I just never mess with it while it's charging. I guess I should stop using it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SallyC

Reaction score
I use a T-Mobile charger on my Razr while I'm at work. It makes my screen go bizerk when I touch it so I just never mess with it while it's charging. I guess I should stop using it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I think you have just elucidated the Cliff Notes summary of this rather long thread. clap.gif

Fwiw, if you want a spare Motorola charger for work, here's one for $5.73 (free shipping).

Trash Can

Reaction score
Look up the Magnussen Moss Act.

There's a number of ways that vendors can't refuse warranty claims. Most vendors know this and just count on people not understanding what their rights are under the law.

Please read the entire thread. I still contend that there's more to this than meets the eye. Large corporations and industries aren't stupid. They lobby Congress for exemptions all the time and quite often they are successful in what they seek. I've seen it firsthand where I work more than once. I'm not a lawyer, nor did I play one on TV, but things are never as simple as they seem. It's the fine print that gets little or no attention that you really need to pay attention to.

I think you have just elucidated the Cliff Notes summary of this rather long thread. View attachment 49159

"elucidated"? :blink: SallyC, watch your language! This is supposed to be a family-friendly forum! ;)

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
LOL! What was I thinking??? Excuuuuuse me!!!

We'll let it slide..... THIS time.

The chargers should work. I have an LG charger I've had since my Dare, and it worked on my OG Droid, but not my GNex. It's like it doesn't reach in far enough to hit the right contacts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
As an electrical engineer, this thread is surprising and a little funny. So much stress over such a minor issue!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

IN AWE

Reaction score
For example, I compared the USB outlet adapter that came with my Razr with the "wall wart" one that came with my Motorola Elite Sliver BT headset, which has the microUSB cable hard wired to the charger.

InputRazrMES
Volt100-240100-240
Hz50/6050/60
A0.20.15
Output
Volt5.15.0
mA750500

In this case I see absolutely no problem using the Wall Wart charger with your phone. This is in the same exact specs (I believe) that you would get plugging the factory supplied cord to your computer rather than plugging into the wall. I feel any decent name brand Micro USB cable that operates at 5 volts and in the 500 to 900 mA output range is acceptable and will not void warranty. On the Other hand if you decide to go with a China made with no specs, well...... your asking for it. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong.:)

IN AWE

Reaction score
Interesting read at How USB charging works, or how to avoid blowing up your smartphone | ExtremeTech

This is just a part of it:

Can I blow up my USB device?

There is a huge variance, then, between normal USB 2.0 ports rated at 500mA and dedicated charging ports which range all the way up to 2100mA. This leads to a rather important question: If you take a smartphone which came with a 900mA wall charger, and plug it into a 2100mA iPad charger, will it blow up?

In short, no: You can plug any USB device into any USB cable and into any USB port, and nothing will blow up — and in fact, using a more powerful charger should speed up battery charging.

The longer answer is that the age of your device plays an important role, dictating both how fast it can be charged, and whether it can be charged using a wall charger at all. In 2007, the USB Implementers Forum released the Battery Charging Specification, which standardized faster ways of charging USB devices, either by pumping more amps through your PC’s USB ports, or by using a wall charger. Shortly thereafter, USB devices that implemented this spec started to arrive.

If you have a modern USB device — really, almost any smartphone, tablet, e-book reader, or camera — you should be able to plug into a high-amperage USB port and enjoy faster charging. If you have an older device, however, it probably won’t work with USB ports that employ the Battery Charging Specification; it might only work with old school, original (500mA) USB 1.0 and 2.0 PC ports. In some (older) cases, USB devices can only be charged by computers with specific drivers installed.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

The USB Charging standard was discussed on another thread, and one very important fact was mentioned. It said that almost word for word..."phones using this standard should start arriving in the US in early 2012."

This means unless your phone was designed and manufactured to meet this new standard AND (OH SO VERY IMPORTANT), the CHARGING BLOCK WAS ALSO MANUFACTURED TO THIS NEW STANDARD, then AND ONLY THEN, can you depend on this standard. In other words, just because a new standard has been agreed upon doesn't mean that now every phone and charger out there meets this standard.

In fact, Motorola RAZR and RAZR MAXX are NOT compliant to that new standard.

There are MANY threads about phones acting strangely when plugged into a non-Motorola charger block, and yet there many very intent posters who are saying that all you need to be sure of is that the voltages are within range.

I say, all you need to do is ask yourself why that charger makes the screen go berzerk when the stock charger doesn't. There has to be something different which causes the phone to be unable to properly communicate with the digitizer.

Since the only thing that moves from the charger to the phone is power, and since there's only three measurements, volts, amps, and waveform (or quality of power), the problem has to be from one or more of the three. Voltage fluctuations are not likely since the wall voltages are fairly stable and that translates into stable step-down voltages. There are also capacitors in place to further stabilize volatges. Current fluctuations aren't likely since again wall current is also fairly stable, so the current limiting circuitry will do its job and there should be little if any fluctuation. So what's left? How about regulation, i.e. dirty power...remnants of the AC waveform at high frequencies, harmonics for those who understand that concept, and RF interference, components which can actually impart "noise" into the voltage signal much like static on an AM radio.

These wall adapters have a very tough job in total. Initially they have to take harsh and dangerous voltages of around 110VAC US (220VAC Europe) and reduce them to a tame 5.1VDC @ +/- 5%. Reducing voltage is the easy part. It can be done the old fashioned way, with a transformer by having the proper ratio of windings on the opposing sides of the iron core and using the magnetic field set up by the windings on the high voltage side to excite the windings on the low voltage side and impart a reduced voltage flow thorough those windings. With a different number of windings on one side versus the other, you get a different voltage on one side than the other. The greater the difference in windings, the greater the difference in voltage. It's really elementary. There are new high-tech ways to accomplish the step-down in voltage by using timers or "switching transformers" but the result is the same.

That in itself is unfortunately only a very small part of the process. Now you have to convert the alternating current coming from the walk into direct current. This is no small feat. You have to take what looks like a roller coaster ride from the beginning of the climb at the bottom, to the top and then down to the bottom of the fall and back up, and turn it into a perfectly flat line. How this is done is what sets an approved charger apart from the rest. All you have to do is look at what that power looks like on an Oscilloscope and then you would understand what I mean. If it's properly filtered (regulated), the voltage would appear as a perfectly flat line sitting right on the 5.1V position on the screen. Even a fairly well regulated supply may "look" flat, but if you increase the Oscilloscope's frequency sensitivity range, you may begin to see tiny little spikes and drops. It's this ever-so-small "static" or "noise" that can be at the root of this problem.

Since the digitizer is measuring a change in capacitance at the screen surface (the difference between the ambient charge between the anode and cathode of the underlying capacitor junctions), and since these changes, how ever slight they may be are enough to indicate where your finger is, if there is a change in the voltage due to dirty power, the digitizer interprets that "noise" as finger-presses all over the screen, and you wind up with "ghost typing". On the other hand, if the power is clean and free of artifacts or remnants of the AC ripple, or noise from the regulator circuitry, or RF interference that manages to leak into the circuit, then the digitizer only "sees" the change in capacitance at those junctions when your finger is really there.

This is why the stock charger doesn't cause interference with the digitizer yet others do. Case in point, check out this thread (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...properly-when-plugged-into-computers-usb.html). This is a USB port on a computer, which is supposed to be 100% USB compatible and so should be 100% compatible with the RAZR, and yet it is producing dirty power and affecting the digitizer on his phone.

Also, regarding current and using a charging block that puts out more than the recommended current (i.e. 750mAh or 1A for rapid charging), such as the 2,100mAh mentioned, the phone SHOULD be able to limit that current to the battery. However if the charging circuit which limits that current should fail, and you're plugged into a charger that puts out 2 Amps, you could have the battery suddenly receiving that full current and the battery may begin to heat up rapidly. This could result in damage to the battery or more. Why take chances? If nothing else, charging with a high-current supply will only shorten the life of the battery. Yeah, it'll charge faster, but the battery will start taking less and less of a charge faster too.

Better safe than sorry with a phone that retails for in the 3/4 of a Grand...use the STOCK charger and avoid using any other charging source if at all possible.