LG charger on a razr

SallyC

Reaction score
When speaking of 3rd party chargers and warranty ...this only applies if the charger is non cell phone type charger. Otherwise warranty. Has to cover it. They as a company can not force you to buy their name brand products.

This is an interesting question. Unless you are referring to something in the article I'm not seeing, I'm not so sure the interpretation is a broad as you read it ("this only applies if the charger is non cell phone type charger") . As far as I can see, what the relevant part of the article says is:

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

My read of this? Motorola is not requiring you to buy anything as they supply a cable and charger adapter with the purchase. Whether or not using another cable or charger would void the warranty, it would seem that would depend on if the phone would work properly with the cable and charger you selected. If it doesn't, it may not possess the required specifications and in that case it would seem that it could void the warranty. Which is the warning FoxKat was highlighting when he said "All above responses are for the most part correct, however there can be undesirable effects due to using non-approved third party chargers" and "If the battery or phone should fail and it can be determined that the failure was as a result of using a non-approved charger, Motorola and Verizon reserve the right to refuse coverage .."

This seems accurate since the article states you can include tie-in provisions "if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service." Since the Razr's manual says use of other chargers "may impact your mobile device’s performance. In some circumstances, third party accessories can be dangerous and may void your mobile device’s warranty." it seems reasonable to assume they have demonstrated this to the FTC on some level.
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
It's true Motorola & Verizon can't require you to buy or use their cables or chargers, but it's also fair warning to say that all chargers may not be equal, be aware of signs of trouble and to say you are best off to use the supplied cable and charger. If you don't, and the problem can be shown to come from using one that has and improper or incorrect configuration, you may void your warranty.

Having said all that, I - like most the posters here - have used a variety of microUSB cables without issues. But with the plug in the wall charger, I'm always leery since I don't know the specs. I don't know if there's special circuitry in the chargers or not. Maybe someone smarter than me can answer that....uh, FoxKat???
[/FONT];)

Trash Can

Reaction score
My read of this? Motorola is not requiring you to buy anything as they supply a cable and charger adapter with the purchase. Whether or not using another cable or charger would void the warranty, it would seem that would depend on if the phone would work properly with the cable and charger you selected. If it doesn't, it may not possess the required specifications and in that case it would seem that it could void the warranty. Which is the warning FoxKat was highlighting when he said "All above responses are for the most part correct, however there can be undesirable effects due to using non-approved third party chargers" and "If the battery or phone should fail and it can be determined that the failure was as a result of using a non-approved charger, Motorola and Verizon reserve the right to refuse coverage .."

This seems accurate since the article states you can include tie-in provisions "if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service." Since the Razr's manual says use of other chargers "may impact your mobile device’s performance. In some circumstances, third party accessories can be dangerous and may void your mobile device’s warranty." it seems reasonable to assume they have demonstrated this to the FTC on some level.

It's true Motorola & Verizon can't require you to buy or use their cables or chargers, but it's also fair warning to say that all chargers may not be equal, be aware of signs of trouble and to say you are best off to use the supplied cable and charger. If you don't, and the problem can be shown to come from using one that has and improper or incorrect configuration, you may void your warranty.

SallyC, you said quite a mouthful, and I agree with your interpretation.

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Right...but it must be proved, that said 3rd party charger IS the cause.

Put it this way...car manufacturing co.s WILL tell you vehicle warranty will be void if you have your vehicle serviced by yourself...but, if manufacturers service procedure is followed, and you have records of what, when, and parts...youre warranty cannot be denied.

So for this case, chargers, may not all be the same, dont use you psp charger to charge your phone, but a cellphone charger. Any micro usb cable can be used. They ( the cables) are universal.

Trash Can

Reaction score
Right...but it must be proved, that said 3rd party charger IS the cause.

Imagine this conversation with Tech Support:

You: My phone gets hot and my battery no longer holds a charge.

Tech Support: Is this a recent problem? Do you use the factory-supplied charger?

You: No. I lost my Motorola Razr charger two days ago and had to use one of my old BlackBerry chargers.

Tech Support: The manual states to only use approved chargers. That is not one of them. Your warranty is now void.

You: But the law says you have to prove it caused the problem.

Tech Support: Sorry, there's nothing we can do.

You: But, but, but.....

Your only option at this point is to take them to court. Are you really going to go through all that expense and hassle, possibly going without a phone while you're trying to prove your point? And even if you prevail, most likely all you'll be awarded is another phone.

Put it this way...car manufacturing co.s WILL tell you vehicle warranty will be void if you have your vehicle serviced by yourself...but, if manufacturers service procedure is followed, and you have records of what, when, and parts...youre warranty cannot be denied.

So for this case, chargers, may not all be the same, dont use you psp charger to charge your phone, but a cellphone charger. Any micro usb cable can be used. They ( the cables) are universal.

I go back to my original question. Why not just use the charger supplied when you purchased the phone and avoid the fuss? The phone is not any cheaper if you try to purchase one without it.

ambrown

Reaction score
I use an LG charger with my Droid Incredible that is from my old LG Dare. The HTC cable that came my phone got the parts that spring out stick and now it won't stay in and won't even charge my phone unless I hold it in. Some cables will cause a message to pop up saying "this cable isn't made for this phone and could damage it, please remove immediately" or something similar. But I don't get that with the LG cable. But as long as it's the Micro USB cable it should be compatible with your phone as almost all Android based smartphones use Micro USB.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Imagine this conversation with Tech Support:

You: My phone gets hot and my battery no longer holds a charge.

Tech Support: Is this a recent problem? Do you use the factory-supplied charger?

You: No. I lost my Motorola Razr charger two days ago and had to use one of my old BlackBerry chargers.

Tech Support: The manual states to only use approved chargers. That is not one of them. Your warranty is now void.

You: But the law says you have to prove it caused the problem.

Tech Support: Sorry, there's nothing we can do.

You: But, but, but.....

Your only option at this point is to take them to court. Are you really going to go through all that expense and hassle, possibly going without a phone while you're trying to prove your point? And even if you prevail, most likely all you'll be awarded is another phone.

I go back to my original question. Why not just use the charger supplied when you purchased the phone and avoid the fuss? The phone is not any cheaper if you try to purchase one without it.

I have mine, and use it...as well as the one that came with my old lg dare...works fine. Someone else lost theirs or something .......

And thats your version of how i would handle this if it happened to me...not mine.

Case in point.. then im done trying to explain this anymore.

My harley had a electrical short, wire chaffed and broke. THEY told me that the cause was a usb charger cable that i ran along the outside, not secured in anyway, to the bike main harness, where the shorted wire was inside the protective loom of the harness...and warranty would not cover the $900 repair to 2 wires....

Me- i dont believe that.
Them- that usb wire is is not factory.
Me- you have to prove that the usb cable is cause of why the wire broke and shorted out my abs system. That wire is in no way interfering with, or have i altered the factory design in anyway, shape or form.

Outcome- warranty covered. Determined to be a defect in harleys design, I proved, without doubt, that what i had done, had not caused the problem. That usb cable...oh yeah, harley dont make them either.

The way the issuse is presented during warranty claims, as is how one presents their self, and their case, will determine the outcome...

customer service is lost now a days..till one brings it up during peak shopping hours infront ( loud but not obnoxiously) of other customers ...

Magnussun- moss act protects us as consumers from things of this nature...

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
I use a wall charger that I bought for my wifes iPhone, and my motorola cable. Charges my phone pretty quick. I have not noticed any overheating issues as of yet. I usually don't use my phone while it charging either. I also use a battery pack charger that I made out of some other chargers that wouldn't charge. Works like a champ. Can almost charge my phone twice from 10%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ultra09hd

Reaction score
I am not a lawyer and also not wanting to read the entire treatise. Can you please quote the relevant information?

Meaning, the part that supports the statement " Refusal of warranty claim due to third party chargers is against law."

Thanks.

magnusson- moss act was a class action law suit about warranty coverage/ refusal...in nut shell. it covers all warranty's from any company or any product...

If a company requires specific brand name items that must be used on their products solely, said items must be made available at no cost to consumer.

Trash Can

Reaction score
magnusson- moss act was a class action law suit about warranty coverage/ refusal...in nut shell. it covers all warranty's from any company or any product...

If a company requires specific brand name items that must be used on their products solely, said items must be made available at no cost to consumer.

AFAIK, all cell phone manufacturers provide a charger when you purchase a phone, so it seems to me that they meet their burden of responsibility at the time of sale.

Now, if you lose your charger and decide to use an old one instead of purchasing another brand-specific one on your own nickel, are you telling me they are still on the hook even though they met the requirement above? It doesn't make any sense.

I sincerely appreciate the info on warranties -- learn something new everyday. However, I guess we'll still have to agree to disagree on this one, at least as it applies to cell phone chargers.

mcsoul

Reaction score
I think I could sum it up by saying, yes I use my old LG charging stuff with my Droid RAZR. My phone does not get hot or act strange; but your milage may vary. Do it at your own risk.

ultra09hd

Reaction score
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FUniversal_Serial_Bus&ei=wrdeT_C-GY_NtgeT6NCjBw&usg=AFQjCNETb-VlZQmxah6mQCUvqs_7dR0pBw&sig2=ggbxeDlkEJeRV8ldilUk-w

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Cant get link to work.
Look up usb on wiki...
Maybe it will help

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
AFAIK, all cell phone manufacturers provide a charger when you purchase a phone, so it seems to me that they meet their burden of responsibility at the time of sale.

Now, if you lose your charger and decide to use an old one instead of purchasing another brand-specific one on your own nickel, are you telling me they are still on the hook even though they met the requirement above? It doesn't make any sense.

I sincerely appreciate the info on warranties -- learn something new everyday. However, I guess we'll still have to agree to disagree on this one, at least as it applies to cell phone chargers.

I have to side with Trash Can on this as well. To believe that you could use any charger you choose, even if it's inferior and can do permanent damage to the device, and you expect that the law will require the manufacturer off that device to suffer the cost of repair or replacement due to said inferior charger is ludicrous.

If I use synthetic oil in my engine, and the engine should fail due to a friction failure my factory auto warranty will not cover the repair or replacement of the failed engine.

Now whether I have a claim against the synthetic oil manufacturer, and more importantly whether I can prove in court that the failure was due to the oil is another matter.

If I use a charger made for an LG phone on my RAZR, and the battery or charging circuitry on my phone should fail, or worse the phone should fail, I don't think I'll win a suit against LG for their charger having caused my Motorola phone to fail. There is a thing known as "suitability for a particular purpose", and LG would argue (successfully), that when their charger was designed, the particular purpose was to charge the specific LG phone and that there was no implied or real suitability designed in that charger for my Motorola phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I use a wall charger that I bought for my wifes iPhone, and my motorola cable. Charges my phone pretty quick. I have not noticed any overheating issues as of yet. I usually don't use my phone while it charging either. I also use a battery pack charger that I made out of some other chargers that wouldn't charge. Works like a champ. Can almost charge my phone twice from 10%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

There's nothing wrong with what you are doing, as long as you don't expect Motorola to repair or replace the phone if it fails due to the unorthodox charging methods. Just because you don't see the effects using the iPhone charger or home-brew charging device may be having on your battery and phone circuitry doesn't mean it isn't happening. The results could be as minor as a shorter lifespan of the battery, or as extreme as a full-out catastrophic battery failure with explosion and fire and even potential physical injury, loss of property or death (such as if the phone battery started a fire in the home and family members or firemen write to be mortally injured). Some folks just don't seem to realize they're messing around with chemistry, volatile and dangerous chemicals such as Lithium, and you don't have a degree in chemistry, because if they did, they'd not be taking these chances.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have mine, and use it...as well as the one that came with my old lg dare...works fine. Someone else lost theirs or something .......

And thats your version of how i would handle this if it happened to me...not mine.

Case in point.. then im done trying to explain this anymore.

My harley had a electrical short, wire chaffed and broke. THEY told me that the cause was a usb charger cable that i ran along the outside, not secured in anyway, to the bike main harness, where the shorted wire was inside the protective loom of the harness...and warranty would not cover the $900 repair to 2 wires....

Me- i dont believe that.
Them- that usb wire is is not factory.
Me- you have to prove that the usb cable is cause of why the wire broke and shorted out my abs system. That wire is in no way interfering with, or have i altered the factory design in anyway, shape or form.

Outcome- warranty covered. Determined to be a defect in harleys design, I proved, without doubt, that what i had done, had not caused the problem. That usb cable...oh yeah, harley dont make them either.

The way the issuse is presented during warranty claims, as is how one presents their self, and their case, will determine the outcome...

customer service is lost now a days..till one brings it up during peak shopping hours infront ( loud but not obnoxiously) of other customers ...

Magnussun- moss act protects us as consumers from things of this nature...

This example proves nothing related to our subject of discussion other than that you "proved, without doubt" that the problem wasn't caused by the cable. The fact that you had to prove it, and the fact that the service department initially denied coverage also proves it could have gone the other way.