Charging using LG plug

mynameiserich

Reaction score
I left my charger at a friends place and thought I would look for old cell chargers that would possibly work for my phone. The only one I could find that fit was for my LG dare. It fits perfectly and is definitely the right sized adapter. I have two charger - a standard wall charger, and the wall charger that the USB plugs into. When I plugged in the standard charger it made my phone keep switching menus - obviously not good. But when I take the USB cord for my lg, and plug it into the base charger for the actually Moto Droid, it seems to be charging fine. Do you think this is okay, or do you think this will effect the battery???

Thanks in advance

NVash

Reaction score
I also recently found my plug for my LG Dare and wondered the same thing. Mainly because the one that came with the Droid is what, three inches and the one with the Dare is three feet? I know Im exaggerating but this charger cable is ridiculously short. Id gladly change to the Dares cord if it would work without messing up the phone.

RTracer

Reaction score
I'm sure that would be totally fine. The cord is simply a USB cord, the power supply(what the USB plugs into) is what is where issues can arrise.

On a side note, I use my LG(cholcolate2) car charger for my Droid, no problems.

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
That is what I kind of figured. It is the block it is plugged into, not the cord - hence why I had the problem with the other charger I had (it was of lower power). My other question is, I have a car charger for my car that I can plug any USB into, could I just use this cord and that charger as a car charger???

I could understand something not giving enough power, but does the phone have something built in so if something is trying to charge it with too much power it doesn't allow it?

aW8

Reaction score
Have multiple :blackberry: chargers from my Storm that work perfectly. As it's been stated prior I do agree that the cord supplied is a bit on the short end. Thankfully I do have two :blackberry: chargers.

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
So then, there is no real chance of having problems with this cord as long as I am using it with the supplied charger? What about with a car USB charger that uses any USB??

I'm assuming there is something in most if not all electronics these days that only allows a certain amount of power to it to charge, and won't exceed that?? Giving it less power would be the problem it seems

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

BillTheCat

Reaction score
I'm fortunate that all of the chargers I had for my BB Storm, and I think my LG EnV2, seem to be issue-free with the Droid. This includes a generic car 12v/USB charger that I bought at Office Max.

Seems like the best bet is to plug in a charger & watch to see if the Droid freaks out. If not, then w00ts for joo.

Gagnegirl

Reaction score
My verizon guy told me that my LG would work without a problem. So my versa cord is here at work, my Droid is at home, and I have the LG car charger. I haven't had a problem other than plugging it in to transfer. Will only work with the droid cable.

mrredskin

Reaction score
i dunno what's up with LG cables/chargers. When I had the enV TOUCH, I bought about 6 extra mini usb cables from monoprice and EVERY time I charged using those, I'd get a message on the phone saying it's not a recommended cable.

mikespe

Reaction score
I have been using the charger from my old enV2 with no problems...I also have the Verizon car charger from the enV2 that also works great.

MrTommy

Reaction score
Glad I stumbled on this thread. I too have lots of charging stuff for my LGnv2 and hoped to just port it over to the Droid when I get it. Saving money everywhere I can...:)

sgdossey

Reaction score
I use my old BB Storm home and car charger with no problems.

NVash

Reaction score
Thats good, Im glad I can still use it. The Verizon rep in the store told me itd be fine but I just wanted to make sure. Didnt want to have a Rogue Droid on my hands. Thanks for the advice everyone.