Let's (possibly) Welcome Blackberry to the Dark Side

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's been so long away from my Blackberry that I'd probably choose an Apple product over a Blackberry...
And a physical keyboard? What next, texting on a flip phone?

We get people on here posting once in a blue moon wanting a physical kb. There are still people who refuse to give up their d3 because they want a physical kb. So if done right it could appease those pictures. Unfortunately the pictures leaked shows an on screen kb.

hfhfgh-314x160.jpg

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
correction:

blackberry-venice-another-view2_bbc01_qsfi.jpg

the kb slides out.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Be interesting to see how they would counterbalance it to keep it from being top heavy and falling out of people's hands.

So far I love the look and depending how the other details pan out I am considering that device. Unfortunately it is a Verizon exclusive. I wonder if Verizon going to throw the Droid name on it. Call it the Blackberry Droid, or Droid flip by Blackberry?

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Looks like a bad design, and yes awkward. The original first Moto Droid sliding KB was the best design, if you need the KB. My daughter had that Android phone, while I still had my Blk Bry, the KB worked well, but was big.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm so ingrained with on screen sliders I don't think I could go back to a physical keyboard. I loathe using a desktop or laptop because typing and pecking seems so last decade.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm so ingrained with on screen sliders I don't think I could go back to a physical keyboard. I loathe using a desktop or laptop because typing and pecking seems so last decade.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Lol, my laptop screen has finger prints all over it due to my constant use of the touchscreen phone and tablets.
I had the option to get the touchscreen on the laptop, but thought, I'll never use that.... Oh well ;)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Lol, my laptop screen has finger prints all over it due to my constant use of the touchscreen phone and tablets.
I had the option to get the touchscreen on the laptop, but thought, I'll never use that.... Oh well ;)
I've got the opposite situation going. I sprung for touch screen on my laptop because I'd been using the Windows 8 preview and knew it was built for Touch. I hate to use it because I don't want prints all over my screen. I've slowly been bringing myself around to the idea of using the touch screen, but the prints still bother me. It's not such a big deal on the phone or tablet because it's easy to wipe those on my shirt, but the laptop takes a bit more effort to clean the screen.

That said, I'm a touch typer, so I don't have an issue with physical keyboards on computers, but I'm also a fan of "swype/flow/gesture" typing on my phone, so I don't really feel the need for a physical keyboard on it.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Agree but have yet to find an on screen kb as accurate as a physical kb. It is what I miss about the droid. I can thumb out messages and not have to worry about auto correct. On screen I have to rely on the software which corrects what I don't want corrected when on and I fat finger the wrong key and have to make more corrections when off. Something I did 5 times while trying to type this out.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't get it on the laptop, and I would not get it on a new laptop in the future, if of course it's not only touch at that point.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, if I had it to do over again, I would've gone for more of one of those convertible devices or something, or not gotten touch. It IS handy once in a while, but not really enough to justify the extra money I paid for that over a non-touch screen. Although, I've had it long enough now that it doesn't matter anymore.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if I had it to do over again, I would've gone for more of one of those convertible devices or something, or not gotten touch. It IS handy once in a while, but not really enough to justify the extra money I paid for that over a non-touch screen. Although, I've had it long enough now that it doesn't matter anymore.
I'm still not convinced that the hinge on the convertible laptop will last the life of the unit. Sure you can buy insurance, but that's another story.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. Honestly, for all I do on a PC at home, I probably could've gone with a Surface Tablet, but I like the sturdier/chunkier build of a laptop. Not to mention, now I've got the Remix Ultra tablet that runs android.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't see them fitting more 2k mah battery in that device due to slider form and knowing how well android sucks the life out of batteries, that phone will be dead after 3 hours of screen time which is about from 6am-noon for me.
Born to be a failure!