BlackBerry Messenger to Launch on Android Later This Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bbm_mast.jpg
android-open-2.jpg

In an interesting and potentially very smart strategic move by RIM, they have just announced their intention to offer a port of their BlackBerry Messenger service on Android. (and eventually iOS as well) Former BlackBerry users that switched to Android but enjoyed RIM's BBM service can rejoice.

We've seen Android come to dominate the smartphone market over the last year and a half, and it's mostly been at the expense of RIM, so the makers of the BlackBerry had to stop the hemorrhaging somehow. They haven't announced pricing as of yet, and have hinted that they may provide the app and service for free, but only as a "lite" version. Timing has also not been nailed down, but they indicated their intention for later this year. Apparently, Android was chosen first due to the fact that its development and integration are much easier with its open platform.

Ultimately, this seems like a fairly smart strategic move on their part. Thinking long-term, if the BlackBerry itself goes the way of the dinosaur, then RIM's service and the company can live on as software in every other smartphone on the planet. What do you guys think of this development? Any former Blackberry users excited about this?

Source: BGR

chris420o

Reaction score
hahahahaha WIN this is such a win...the one thing i missed from my bb on my droid oh how i shall rejoice

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This would've been extremely useful a year ago, but most of the people I know with BB's have either bought Android devices or iPhones... so IMO, RIM is late to the party.

if you can't beat them join them though huh? Way to go RIM... fail.

gatewayad

Reaction score
Blackberry messenger was one of my favorite apps, so easy to use. I am excited that this could come to android. I wonder if they will be able to keep the privacy level the same

stonecaster

Reaction score
This would've been extremely useful a year ago, but most of the people I know with BB's have either bought Android devices or iPhones... so IMO, RIM is late to the party.

if you can't beat them join them though huh? Way to go RIM... fail.

Once again RIM is at the train station when the plane is leaving.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A band-aid for a gaping wound. They'll charge, what $20 one-time fee for this app while they're losing how much on phones and service?

Jeyman

Reaction score
A band-aid for a gaping wound. They'll charge, what $20 one-time fee for this app while they're losing how much on phones and service?

people are going to change over from BB's to androids its a fact. They will keep their members that are really in it for the business phone. and they can make up for some lost ground by selling their BBM app.

Its not a bad idea at all. and I hope its true. So many of my friends use BBM that it be nice to use an app with no limit that more then 4 people I know use.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Wow I'm really surprised so many miss BBM, I used it when I had a BB but can't see any reason why I need it now. Almost everyone I know that did have a BB has since gone droid or iphone. Plus I never found it to be that amazing in the first place. Oh well happy that those missing it will get it though the more choices the better... :)

J

Johnly

Yay BBM go! For me and my loved ones, we pooped on you long ago, hail Darwinism....ain't going back to die....