Blackberry Discusses Their Enhanced Security Measures for the PRIV Android Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bb-padlock.png

One of the hottest new Android phone topics is undoubtedly the new Blackberry PRIV. While it could be argued Blackberry should have moved this direction a long time ago, that doesn't mean that they can't find success now. The most important service/feature Blackberry brought to the table with their devices was enhanced, enterprise-level security. According to their latest reveal, that's precisely what they intend to focus on going forward with the PRIV Android smartphone.

Alex Manea, BlackBerry's director of security, recently shared an informative blog post in which he details the superior security measures that Blackberry has baked into the new PRIV Android device. The company wants to reassure customers and clients that they can trust in Blackberry's legendary enhanced security, even with their move to build an Android device.

From the ground up, Blackberry has included the firm's enterprise security service BES12 into their take on Android. On top of this, Blackberry has "hardened" the Linux kernel with various top-secret patches designed to protect the phone further. Furthermore, the new PRIV includes its own cryptographic key which is built in at the hardware level to prevent any remote tampering. This key can even verify any of the software running on the device to make sure no apps with malicious intent can run.

Additionally, the new PRIV will, of course, use Blackberry's secure network to push data between users providing that extra layer of security. Finally, Blackberry has created something called DTEK. This is a new app that can advise you if your passwords are too easy to guess, and it also monitors any software that accesses your private data.

These are just several of the new security measures which will blanket the new Android PRIV from Blackberry in a protective shell. Feel free to check out the source link below for more info, and be sure to share if you or your company have need of the impressive new features of the Blackberry PRIV.

Here's our dedicated Blackberry PRIV section for further discussion: Blackberry PRIV | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: Blackberry Blog

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Time will tell if they're too late to the game, but it sounds to me like they're taking the right approach. Use what your name was previously known for, extra secure, enterprise-level quality.

I'm just wondering if/how these security enhancements will affect updates to this device, as @pc747 mentioned in another thread.

With Google committed to pushing out monthly security patches for Nexus devices and, so far, holding to that promise, BB will have to be on their A-game with their own patches and etc to gain any ground in this crowded market. Even companies that have been doing Android for years now are floundering.

Will be interesting to watch. I'd like to get hands on with the Priv for sure, though I have no want/need for the physical keyboard, so I can't say that the enhanced security would be enough for me to want one of these devices. I think it's a good step though and if done right and built upon with future devices, they may be on to something here.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yup im considering it but I have questions, which I posted on another thread and BB's twitter account.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Squarely aimed at business users who still have contracts, so it'll be $200/$250 for most people.