LauncherPro+ and redraw

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Well, I decided to give this another try (because I was starting to get *some* redraw on UD 1.0.0). I was able to get it to work this time without messing up my phone. So far, so good. Haven't had a redraw yet (crossing my fingers), and I was able to uncheck "keep in memory." I even ran some apps like browser and stumbleupon which usually cause the major redraw. I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes. Thanks a million for the help!

Btw, can I get rid of terminal emulator now? I probably won't use it again since I seemed to have fixed this issue...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

kgplucker

Reaction score
So far, so good. Much faster now. Any ideas why I was getting "denied" using Terminal Emulator? Do I need to be rooted?

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
So far, so good. Much faster now. Any ideas why I was getting "denied" using Terminal Emulator? Do I need to be rooted?

Well I never heard of terminal emulator until I rooted. If you are asking for superuser access like I believe you are, then yes you need to be rooted.

Rooting alone does nothing to fix the redraw issue.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Uh-oh. Back to the redraw. That didn't take long...

Should I try this again?

And just to get it straight, I enter "su" then hit return key, then the second line of code underneath it? Do I reboot into recovery right after I enter while terminal emulator is still open or do I return to my homescreen? I just want to make sure I'm doing this right...

Edit: I even had a redraw right after I wrote this. And just out of curiosity, what are you LP memory settings at? Keep in memory? Motorola droid hack? What are your memory presets at?

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
Look, I love LP but I had to dump it. None of the memory settings work. See my post earlier. Install ADW and...here's the important part....check System Persistant in ADW settings.. you will have to spend time redoing all of your screens. Maybe reboot and clear cache once if able but shouldn't even have to do that.

By checking System Persisant your screen won't Rotate while iin the home sscreen mode but this is sooooooo much less annoying than the redraw issue. On rare occasion I will get a redraw. I. Reboot and its gone for a few weeks.

Let me know if this works.

luigi90210

Reaction score
Before you give your droid up, try installing ADW Launcher and check System Persistant in ADW settings. You will need to reset up your home screens, fyi. Its worth it. I was suffering from massive redraw.

there is a similar option in launcher pro as well
its called keep in memory
i have this checked and after i applied this fix launcher pro is running perfect for me
i would use adw but i paid for the plus version of launcher pro(trust me its worth every penny)

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
I have used that option on launcher pro and it did nothing for me.

I also paid for the plus version right before I moved to adw after finding the fix. Launcher pro is smoother so I hope to go back one day

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
So are any of you folks using the ADJ=1 command in Terminal AND a persistent option in your launcher (LP or ADW)? I thought the persistent options basically did the same thing. Anyone?

b-jammin21

Reaction score
The first time I did the terminal emulator trick I cleared cache, rebooted, and UNchecked "keep in memory" under LP settings. Then my redraw lag came back. So, I checked "keep in memory" again, and did the terminal emulator trick again. I cleared my cache 3 times and rebooted. Once my phone booted up again, I did not mess with LP settings afterwards. This has worked great for me, and I've had maybe 3 redraws in about the last week. It's awesome!

FYI: my LP settings are "keep in memory," "Motorola Droid hack," and "low" memory usage preset. Set these settings to your LP, then try terminal emulator trick, clear cache 3 times, and then reboot. DO NOT touch your LP settings after this. Give it a try, it worked for me! Now I just have to figure out how to extend my battery life... Then my life will be complete!

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
The first time I did the terminal emulator trick I cleared cache, rebooted, and UNchecked "keep in memory" under LP settings. Then my redraw lag came back. So, I checked "keep in memory" again, and did the terminal emulator trick again. I cleared my cache 3 times and rebooted. Once my phone booted up again, I did not mess with LP settings afterwards. This has worked great for me, and I've had maybe 3 redraws in about the last week. It's awesome!

FYI: my LP settings are "keep in memory," "Motorola Droid hack," and "low" memory usage preset. Set these settings to your LP, then try terminal emulator trick, clear cache 3 times, and then reboot. DO NOT touch your LP settings after this. Give it a try, it worked for me! Now I just have to figure out how to extend my battery life... Then my life will be complete!

Thanks for the step by step. I was told somewhere else to uncheck the "Motorola Droid Hack" if you were running Froyo or Froyo based ROMs. The hack was meant for 2.1. Can anyone confirm a difference or know even what the hack really does?

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I don't really know for sure exactly what it does, but I do know that it is for 2.1, even though I'm on a 2.2.1 frg83 build. Maybe I don't even need it. But it isn't hurting my phone to keep it checked so I guess I will leave it that way...

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
just tried this and now my phone's not starting up past the M logo...wtf did i do

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
It sounds like there might have been a mistype somewhere. Load a recovery image. Not sure what else to tell you.

apotheosis415

Reaction score
Hey man, I was having awful redraw and lag issues. I dont remember who told me to do this but try this:

In Terminal Emulator type: su
Then type: echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop
Now reboot into recovery and clear your cache only and then boot up

This fixed ALL of my lag and redraws. Literally Launcher Pro is SUPER fast and has not redrew once man! Killer!

Can you explain exactly what thos does? Do you type it in exactly as you have it here in TE? Or doed the >> bean "enter"? Do I press enter after I have typed this script in, or just type it in and then press the top button on my phone to reboot into recovery?

Type it exactly as it is there, hit enter, then reboot the phone or just type reboot and hit enter again.

I hit su enter and I get "no permission"
any idea?