Launcher Vs. ROM

Billa_DX

Reaction score
hi i'm new.
you guys rule, as i know tons now, i didn't before.

Had a og Droid, never did a thing to it. Just got a DX a month or so ago. decided to start tinkering...

z4root > bootstrapper > TiBu and no issues.

Just installed "GO Launcher" and it has me curious... what's the diff. between a launcher and a ROM ?

is this 'Launcher' i'm running now, just on top of the stock dX, and actually cause me MORE memory usage ?

I'm certain i could flash a ROM, and have a nandroid if i cant... but not sure WHY I SHOULD...

thanks in advance...

jsw6380a

Reaction score
Your lanucher is not a ROM. A ROM is pretty much a re-write of the operating system. There are various launchers out to include ADW and launcher pro. These are soley modifying the launcher, dock and drawer. A ROM will go into much more and allow you to have more custimization.

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
Yeah exactly what was stated before. A launcher just replaces the home launcher, basically the dock, how the homescreens work, app drawer and adds a few features. A ROM is basically a rewrite of the OS, not entirely for the DX since the bootloader is locked. ROMs change how your phone works and sometimes adds and removes certain features/apps depending on the ROM you choose. Themes do the more visual part of the android experience and you cant just use any theme on any ROM either they have to be compatible. If curious give the ROMs section of the forum a search and im pretty sure most of the questions that might arise are already asked and answered. Search is your friend.

Rocko

Reaction score
Is a ROM an actual re-write of the original or a overlay so to speak?

cdroid1

Reaction score
I am new too...do I have to root my fascinate in order to install a ROM? I want 2.2 and since it seems verizon is never going to push this to our phones. Do I need to root to put this on?
Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

7chris crash

Reaction score
I am new too...do I have to root my fascinate in order to install a ROM? I want 2.2 and since it seems verizon is never going to push this to our phones. Do I need to root to put this on?
Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
Yes, you do need to root it to get the latest updates