lame

holmes6

Reaction score
My love affair with my D2 and android is over I'm becoming frustrated
Fission is done. Leaked GB rom looked promising, but it's crashing on me many times per day. Liberty is a train wreck, way too ambitious tweaks/themes, totally unstable, disorganized community.

Maybe it's because I have too many services/apps/widgets and crap that I restore with each rom and I'm barking up the wrong tree. I donno :icon_evil:

Reaction score
My love affair with my D2 and android is over I'm becoming frustrated
Fission is done. Leaked GB rom looked promising, but it's crashing on me many times per day. Liberty is a train wreck, way too ambitious tweaks/themes, totally unstable, disorganized community.

Maybe it's because I have too many services/apps/widgets and crap that I restore with each rom and I'm barking up the wrong tree. I donno :icon_evil:

Your love affair with the Droid 2 may be done, but what do you have against Android at large?

Also, I can understand your frustration that Fission development seems to have stopped, but is Fission 2.6.1 giving you any problems? Although I'm currently on the Liberty train, Fission has always been more stable for me, and I haven't had a single issue with the last few versions.

OP
H

holmes6

Reaction score
Mainly because I exaggerate and eeyore out when I get grumpy.
But also because android can't simply be installed like a regular linux or windows OS. Installing third party ROM is about as confidence inspiring as pirating software for windows, yeah it will probably work, but it's likely buggy and you may very well have also installed a trojan. When the best software is created by kids in their spare time, it's an indication that the official release is deficient.

OP
H

holmes6

Reaction score
Should add that I still believe in Android, I'm 100% sold on the general idea, and for the most part I'm happy with the execution on my D2 even. I'm not throwing in the towel, but I'm ready for better stability for sure. It's let me down with lagging and crashing a few times when I really needed it to work (kind of like Windows 98). I know I'm not alone in this.. Being awesome most of the time is not really good enough

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Mainly because I exaggerate and eeyore out when I get grumpy.
But also because android can't simply be installed like a regular linux or windows OS. Installing third party ROM is about as confidence inspiring as pirating software for windows, yeah it will probably work, but it's likely buggy and you may very well have also installed a trojan. When the best software is created by kids in their spare time, it's an indication that the official release is deficient.

ROM's are free. You can always use VZW's 2.3.20 if "every" ROM is buggy. I've been using Fission for quite sometime now, and it's awesome. I haven't come across a single issue with the latest release.

Either way, if you don't like them, move on. Also, for the record, AngDroid is in his 30's. Kejar is in his 30's. JRummy also in his 30's. The youngest developer I've met was Matt (developer of Epic/Cobalt), and he's 26. That said, they aren't "children just throwing something together." They know what they're doing, unfortunately, you have a misconception that everything should be perfect.

Reaction score
Most of the ROM's I've tried are very stable... by themselves. It's when apps are added that things start to go downhill. It's frustrating as hell, but not all apps play nice with all mods, and there's no way any modder could make such a ROM that did. Even an OTA Android can get flakey if enough junk is added to it. It's the curse of an open system that allows for the integration of unfriendly apps. On the flip side though, there are usually several apps that do the same thing so it's just a matter of finding one that plays nice with your current ROM.

OP
H

holmes6

Reaction score
Most of the ROM's I've tried are very stable... by themselves. It's when apps are added that things start to go downhill. It's frustrating as hell, but not all apps play nice with all mods, and there's no way any modder could make such a ROM that did. Even an OTA Android can get flakey if enough junk is added to it. It's the curse of an open system that allows for the integration of unfriendly apps. On the flip side though, there are usually several apps that do the same thing so it's just a matter of finding one that plays nice with your current ROM.
I'm not doubting it, but this isn't testing for the fun of it for me. My phone is in "production" usage 24/7. I want it all running stable, including 3rd party applications. I realize that this is some time away and I'm not really trying to prove anything, just having honest (if occasionally exaggerated) conversation.

I don't mean to call out anyone and I'm sorry for calling developers kids. Without their work things would unquestionably be much worse. I've donated to Ang, paid for Liberty stuff, etc and don't regret it at all, in fact I'd give more for future dev.

I'm just admitting to myself that it's not as good as I thought it was at one point. FWIW I also have modified DX, D1, and Fascinate (all verizon) and had various similar issues with all these devices as well. The D1 lags and crashes, the Fascinate eats batteries, etc. And they were all ROM'd because of annoyances/problems with the stock ROM as well.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not doubting it, but this isn't testing for the fun of it for me. My phone is in "production" usage 24/7. I want it all running stable, including 3rd party applications. I realize that this is some time away and I'm not really trying to prove anything, just having honest (if occasionally exaggerated) conversation.

I don't mean to call out anyone and I'm sorry for calling developers kids. Without their work things would unquestionably be much worse. I've donated to Ang, paid for Liberty stuff, etc and don't regret it at all, in fact I'd give more for future dev.

I'm just admitting to myself that it's not as good as I thought it was at one point. FWIW I also have modified DX, D1, and Fascinate (all verizon) and had various similar issues with all these devices as well. The D1 lags and crashes, the Fascinate eats batteries, etc. And they were all ROM'd because of annoyances/problems with the stock ROM as well.

Well, I can agree that a lot of the app's for Android are still very unreliable, especially when you compare them to premium iPhone app's. It's frustrating, but Android hasn't been out nearly as long as the iPhone, so we can't really compare them.

On a side note, I can also agree that the battery life on Android is terrible. I think that's the biggest flaw, even more so than the app's. I'm charging my phone 2-3 times a day, even using ROM's and completely disabling data.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

+1

@op, have you tried RubiX focused 2.0.1? It is very very stable and one of if not the best roms out in my opinion. My only problem with it is a lack of themes because none of them are that "perfect" one for me.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fission was totally stable for me....only reason I left it was to use Apex for the Blur email app.

Apex has been very stable for me...over months I've had two incidents of a call coming in and the phone UI locking up and not letting me answer, other than that been fine.

I have a ton of apps installed, and don't baby my phone in any way. I do reboot every few days or so, but that's a habit from using Windows for many years, I just do it for myself. :)

IMHO, if you have a phone that you want to be as stable as possible, you should be using the stock OS...nothing is perfect, but there is no way these custom ROMs can have the level of testing/qc of a formal release from Verizon.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
IMHO, if you have a phone that you want to be as stable as possible, you should be using the stock OS...nothing is perfect, but there is no way these custom ROMs can have the level of testing/qc of a formal release from Verizon.

I disagree with the first part. Ive had more problems out of stock than i have with any rom. Also, true it doesnt get as much testing before being release all roms get ALOT of testing after release with all of the people flashing them. Most people are very quick to report a bug, especially if its something that affects something they do/use very much.

xust

Reaction score
If you want even worse battery life, go with stock 2.3.20. It's got pretty bad performance (with no apps installed), and awful battery life (again--no apps installed). The GB leak is pretty decent with me. I had an issue with my radio disappearing completely (people say my phone tried updating, and died instead?)

Most of the issues are up to the manufacturer. Sure the D2 isn't that open of a phone, but what we have available to us for Froyo releases, is quite a decent selection. I was with a very very badly installed version of Fission for a while. It worked VERY well until I started adding every app I could. Now i'm determined to find a GB ROM that works somewhat as well as the early versions of Fission.

trook

Reaction score
I completely agree with whoever suggested rubix. It's completely stable and out performs all. But im still a huge fan of fission. Fission is my first love. I run every rom avalible and rarely have lag or crashing issues. In fact, Im gonna run fission tomorrow just for a change for a couple weeks, I ran the gb leak as well and was kind of impressed for a few minutes until i sbfd back and reinstalled rubix. I still love my d2 and cant imagine having to deal with stock. Im thankful for the roms we have. All of them.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App