Fission addons - anyone interested?

Iff

Reaction score
I've been using the Fission ROM for my Droid 2 Global ever since it was released - it has always felt like the cleanest, most stable ROM...not to mention it was the only available one for a long time. Luckily, people are working on new ones so we'll hopefully see things pick up here in the D2G community soon.

Until then, I've been poking around and tweaking things in my copy of Fission. A few of the preinstalled apps in the stock ROM were useful to me, like Windows Media Sync mode, so I added them back. The crackling and popping while playing music was driving me crazy, so I enabled StageFright and fixed the missing libraries so YouTube and camcorder playback still work too. I have also managed to activate 720p video recording. The camera on the D2G seems to be the same one as in the Milestone 2, which supports 720p recording, so I stole some files from that and got it working after a night of tinkering. It's silky smooth at 29fps and produces fairly massive video files with a 10mbit bitrate.

So I've been thinking, maybe I should figure out how to package up each of these tweaks as update.zip files and release them. I don't really have time to make a whole ROM nor do I want to force my preferences on people by doing that (I like my Dialer buttons to be hot pink with flaming skulls on the sides, so you must too!). I'm just wondering if any of you are still running Fission and whether there'd be any demand for stuff like this. I just blew an entire day and sleepless night rebooting my phone about 80 times while working on this stuff, so I just want to make sure it's not wasted time if I figure out how to release these tweaks in a way that doesn't set anyone's phone on fire. :)

sid_wisc

Reaction score
I've been using the Fission ROM for my Droid 2 Global ever since it was released - it has always felt like the cleanest, most stable ROM...not to mention it was the only available one for a long time. Luckily, people are working on new ones so we'll hopefully see things pick up here in the D2G community soon.

Until then, I've been poking around and tweaking things in my copy of Fission. A few of the preinstalled apps in the stock ROM were useful to me, like Windows Media Sync mode, so I added them back. The crackling and popping while playing music was driving me crazy, so I enabled StageFright and fixed the missing libraries so YouTube and camcorder playback still work too. I have also managed to activate 720p video recording. The camera on the D2G seems to be the same one as in the Milestone 2, which supports 720p recording, so I stole some files from that and got it working after a night of tinkering. It's silky smooth at 29fps and produces fairly massive video files with a 10mbit bitrate.

So I've been thinking, maybe I should figure out how to package up each of these tweaks as update.zip files and release them. I don't really have time to make a whole ROM nor do I want to force my preferences on people by doing that (I like my Dialer buttons to be hot pink with flaming skulls on the sides, so you must too!). I'm just wondering if any of you are still running Fission and whether there'd be any demand for stuff like this. I just blew an entire day and sleepless night rebooting my phone about 80 times while working on this stuff, so I just want to make sure it's not wasted time if I figure out how to release these tweaks in a way that doesn't set anyone's phone on fire. :)

If it did not set your phone of fire, chances are that it will not do it to mine either... Seems you have worked hard for your stuff so may be you should share... I am ready to be the scapegoat, guinea pig, laboratory mouse whatever you want to call me... I have used Fission in past and kind of liked it to some extent but then I wanted to try Liberty which I am carrying right now... Send me the files and I will go back to Fission for a while... I have to go back to fission anyhow due to a killing theme one of my friend is cooking these days!!!

kickyindahead

Reaction score

If it did not set your phone of fire, chances are that it will not do it to mine either... Seems you have worked hard for your stuff so may be you should share... I am ready to be the scapegoat, guinea pig, laboratory mouse whatever you want to call me... I have used Fission in past and kind of liked it to some extent but then I wanted to try Liberty which I am carrying right now... Send me the files and I will go back to Fission for a while... I have to go back to fission anyhow due to a killing theme one of my friend is cooking these days!!!

hey ... you can count me in too on this if youd like .. im kinda in the same boat as Sid... wouldnt be surprised if it was the same friend as well...

chrisl20

Reaction score
Hey, im running fission right now, send me a link and ill test-erosa everything out...im getting rdy to flash the FENOM alpha rom in a minute, see what its all about, im going to start making a black and red theme here within the next day or two, as soon as I get a solid rom to go with. So...if you can make me like fission more....well, im down with that :D

clouse2013

Reaction score
Im on Fission again too. If you wanna send some stuff out i would be more than glad to test or whatever as other people have. Thanks for all your work by the way.

havocdante

Reaction score

i would love to know how you put your droid 2 global to record 720p if you may be so kind and explain me the process please

OP
I

Iff

Reaction score
Turns out 720p recording is even simpler than I thought. Assuming you're using Motorola's camera app and not the stock one, all you have to do is open /system/build.prop and find this line near the bottom:
Code:
ro.media.capture.maxres=5m
Change it to
Code:
ro.media.capture.maxres=8m
Then reboot your phone. After that, go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications, find the Camera app in the All tab, force stop it if it's running and Clear Data.

After that, 720p should show up as the default recording quality for videos in the Camera/Camcorder app.

Is Liberty stable on the D2G now? Last I heard there were still some sensor issues, have those been resolved?

havocdante

Reaction score
wow that system file has alot of command lines that caught my attention, well umm it worked but when i try to record it exit me out :(

Last edited:

sid_wisc

Reaction score
Turns out 720p recording is even simpler than I thought. Assuming you're using Motorola's camera app and not the stock one, all you have to do is open /system/build.prop and find this line near the bottom:
Code:
Change it to
Code:
Then reboot your phone. After that, go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications, find the Camera app in the All tab, force stop it if it's running and Clear Data.

After that, 720p should show up as the default recording quality for videos in the Camera/Camcorder app.

Is Liberty stable on the D2G now? Last I heard there were still some sensor issues, have those been resolved?

Yes, It has been fairly stable for me for the last three weeks I have been using it... some issues here and there which i think not major... sensors seem to be working fairly well...No problems so far other than some random reboots when i changed to a theme that went away when i went to a different one.... When can i expect to hear from you about getting your tweek of Fission??? Waitin for it!!!!!!!!

helizus

Reaction score
Code:
Change it to
Code:

Thanks Iff, I have HD Ready mode on Stock & Liberty v2.0.1 now dancedroid

lawless21

Reaction score
Guinea pig!

I am running Fission right now and would love to give some new tweaks a try!

havocdante

Reaction score
Code:
Change it to
Code:

Thanks Iff, I have HD Ready mode on Stock & Liberty v2.0.1 now dancedroid

Can you tell me how you got your HD to work becuase mines crashes meaning when i try to record on 720p it closes the application and when i try to take a picture it looks all messed up :(

helizus

Reaction score
Dont use blur camera, try the alternate ones.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

havocdante

Reaction score
Dont use blur camera, try the alternate ones.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Ohhh ok so don't use the camera that comes from stock mmmm, which ones do you recommend to use??? im kinda new at this.......