prime

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
This issue persisted even when I had sync off (I never have sync on). All though I do have GPS on at all times and just questioned myself, why do I have this on when I don't use anything that needs it? So now that is turned off and Android OS has been at a good 8% for 12 hours of battery so far ;)

Thanks for coming back and posting your resolution, will have to take a look at why gps being enabled but not in use would cause such battery drain.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
hey prime, is there any way to enable logging (logcat) in your newest kernel? i love using it with the alpha ics build, and of course logcat is really useful on an apha build...if there isnt any way to enable it would it be possible to quickly recompile it to add in logging? if it would be too much work thats fine

bstealthy

Reaction score
I too can confirm that with gps enabled android os usage jumps through the roof

phonetool

Reaction score
*shrug *
No odd OS usage here. Less than 3% usually.
No special limitations on GPS or other radio options.
No task manager or supercharger script.

- onDroid
Edit -
ok, the 3% was earlier. I just checked again and it's at 14%. Doesn't seem outrageous.

Last edited:

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
hey prime, do you think you could just whip up a version of your newest kernel with compcache fixed? i love using your kernel now that i have my vsels and slots down but im missing compcache, swap is ok by itself but i like pairing it with compcache or just using compcache by itself (swap+compcache allows for lots of swap if you need it but compcache is faster and helps with overall speed)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting read for all you flashers and batt stat wipers.

Wiping battery stats doesn't improve battery life, says Google engineer | Android Central

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

yes and no, it doesnt technically improve battery life, it improves the accuracy with which the battery level is reported, for example your phone might say it has 5% battery left and turn off when really it has 10-20% left...this is easily shown when you dont calibrate the battery and get huge drops in battery % (like from 20% down to 5%) but afterwards it becomes much more stable

it all depends on how you calibrate the battery, i'd highly suggest zeppelinrox die hard battery script over on xda (check the supercharger thread)

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
With the Die Hard callibrator, do you have to drain your phone down after it wipes the battery stats?

Sent from my CushZero using Tapatalk

nope, just plug your phone in, go to the script, let it charge and then just follow the instructions in the script

The Race To Die

Reaction score
yes and no, it doesnt technically improve battery life, it improves the accuracy with which the battery level is reported, for example your phone might say it has 5% battery left and turn off when really it has 10-20% left...this is easily shown when you dont calibrate the battery and get huge drops in battery % (like from 20% down to 5%) but afterwards it becomes much more stable

it all depends on how you calibrate the battery, i'd highly suggest zeppelinrox die hard battery script over on xda (check the supercharger thread)

I understand, just thought it was interesting and thought I'd share. Ya I used to use zeppelin's work on my og.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BrUhNiGGs

Reaction score
hey prime, do you think you could just whip up a version of your newest kernel with compcache fixed? i love using your kernel now that i have my vsels and slots down but im missing compcache, swap is ok by itself but i like pairing it with compcache or just using compcache by itself (swap+compcache allows for lots of swap if you need it but compcache is faster and helps with overall speed)

Do you use swap without Swapper2? And what is the value of your swappiness. Im thinking about repartitioning my sd card for swap but how much mb should it be. Thanks.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you use swap without Swapper2? And what is the value of your swappiness. Im thinking about repartitioning my sd card for swap but how much mb should it be. Thanks.

yeah its actually fairly easy to run a swap partition without swapper2, its a simple 1 line script. I usually use 30-40 for my swappiness and a good swap size is about 256 MB (it pretty much never gets full) I'd suggest throwing in an ext partition too just in case you want link2sd, ext 3 or ext 4 and probably 512 MB is good for that, either do it via rom manager or minitool partition wizard on a pc if you want more control over everything

heres the script to use a swap partition, just throw it at the end of a file in /etc/init.d after testing it in terminal emulator first

Code:
[COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana]swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
or
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Code:
[COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana]swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3[/FONT][/COLOR]
depending on what order you partition your sdcard (for example the first one would be used if you had it set up FAT32/swap/ext3, and the second one would be if you had it FAT32/ext3/swap)

Last edited: