K-9 Mail can not send email

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have a app killer installed? If so, remove K9.

Mike

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've not been able to find an answer anywhere...

My exchange won't work with K9....I keep getting a "the trust anchors set is empty" error (works on stock email). Seems like maybe the issue is the security certificate, think I need a .p12 for my corporate exchange. I tried to create a self-signed certificate without success.

People who can get K9 to work seem to rave about it, but it seems like a lot of people aren't able to get it to work.

This is frustrating to me. I'd love to get all my emails in one place (installed puremessenger widget for $3 and it give you a full screen widget for all your email, sms, and twitter messages, facebook too). So this would be absolutely perfect if I could just get corp email on K9.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've not been able to find an answer anywhere...

My exchange won't work with K9....I keep getting a "the trust anchors set is empty" error (works on stock email). Seems like maybe the issue is the security certificate, think I need a .p12 for my corporate exchange. I tried to create a self-signed certificate without success.

People who can get K9 to work seem to rave about it, but it seems like a lot of people aren't able to get it to work.

This is frustrating to me. I'd love to get all my emails in one place (installed puremessenger widget for $3 and it give you a full screen widget for all your email, sms, and twitter messages, facebook too). So this would be absolutely perfect if I could just get corp email on K9.

I haven't used it myself but others have noted that Touchdown (rather than K9) works well with Exchange servers.

In my case I've managed to overcome the many difficulties of Exchange by convincing my corporate Exchange administrator to send all my corporate email to my personal ISP (comcast.) From that point I have much better control over how my email is managed. That will only work, however, if you have a tolerant Exchange administrator.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven't used it myself but others have noted that Touchdown (rather than K9) works well with Exchange servers.

In my case I've managed to overcome the many difficulties of Exchange by convincing my corporate Exchange administrator to send all my corporate email to my personal ISP (comcast.) From that point I have much better control over how my email is managed. That will only work, however, if you have a tolerant Exchange administrator.

Yeah, the stock corp email account actually works for me. I was just hoping to get everything integrated into one program, or at least be able to view it all together in the widget I mentioned.

Guess I'll just have to wait. Hard to believe the Droid has only been out 5 months. The widgets and apps for managing email are noticeably lacking at this point. Maybe they're waiting to iron out all the bugs before going after blackberry, but if I'm motorola/google better email support could ultimately convert a lot of blackberry accounts to an otherwise superior phone.

willis1258

Reaction score
Does K9 allow email to be sent to the device without having to pull? I cannot seem to find the setting that allows this function.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The problem is Cox, as correctly pointed out above. Cox does not allow its SMTP servers to be used to send if not connected to their cable network. Their explanation is that it allows them to control junk mail and virus transmission, and it does, in fact. The problem is Cox (I used to have Cox), there is no way to send unless on their cable. Period. End of story.

Strange, works fine for me to send and receive via COX after someone on this forum told me to change my port.

Here's the settings that will allow you send via cox:

Port = 587 & Select the option: {SSL (if available)}

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does K9 allow email to be sent to the device without having to pull? I cannot seem to find the setting that allows this function.

Yes. Go to "menu>more>account settings." My "polling" is set to never and I get my google mail delivered instantaneously to the Droid. Note, however, that that is probably because I'm using K9 for gmail which is already "pushed" to my phone. YMMV if you're using K9 with another email server.

Cairo

Reaction score
Is there a K9 support forum? I have several issues. I'm about to try some other program.

I can't send any emails and I have two accounts. Neither work, though the stock email program used to work.

Often I have emails that I receive on my phone that do not also show up on my PC if I have opened the email on my phone.

I can't open .wav files, though this is not K9 problem

Ugh.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Is there a K9 support forum? I have several issues. I'm about to try some other program.

I can't send any emails and I have two accounts. Neither work, though the stock email program used to work.

Often I have emails that I receive on my phone that do not also show up on my PC if I have opened the email on my phone.

I can't open .wav files, though this is not K9 problem

Ugh.

Sending email issue: What providers? Did you delete the stock email account?

Showing up on phone, gone from PC.. that's an option in the settings.

Post back your providers, your setup for smtp, if you deleted the stock email client. I'll also find the option for you to make sure the email stays on the server so you can see it on the PC and the phone.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
inside k9 .... menu, more, settings, account settings. Look for/at the option to "When I delete a message".. you will have 3 choices.. "Do not delete on server", "delete from server" or "mark as read on server"

And what is the issue with a .wav file?

Cairo

Reaction score
xkape you are very kind. Thank you.

I had the setting already checked "Do not delete"

Cairo

Reaction score
Cannot open a .wav file. This is how I receive voice mails forwarded from my work phone

Cairo

Reaction score
Sending email issue: What providers? Did you delete the stock email account?

Showing up on phone, gone from PC.. that's an option in the settings.

Post back your providers, your setup for smtp, if you deleted the stock email client. I'll also find the option for you to make sure the email stays on the server so you can see it on the PC and the phone.

I have two email accounts I need to have access to. One is through Charter Cable. The other is through Go-Daddy

I deleted the Stock email accounts

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
xkape you are very kind. Thank you.

I had the setting already checked "Do not delete"

Can't hurt to try changing it to "mark as read" and then maybe change it back later. Experimenting is really the best cure sometimes.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Cannot open a .wav file. This is how I receive voice mails forwarded from my work phone

Are you using Google VOice or Verizons Voice Messaging thing?