Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
No Idea what it is, why I got it, or if I signed up for it, but thought I'd share..

The Tether team have been working hard on the Tether Android version, and we're finally happy enough to release it.

How good is it? I'm glad you asked! In our latest tests, on average we've consistently clocked 40% faster than our competition.

A lot of major bugs and issues have been worked out. So, now we can focus on features like Bluetooth, Mac Version and hopefully even WiFi. These features will come out fast and furious now that the major component is stable.

To download the Android Beta follow these simple instructions:

1. Download and install the Tether PC software. We strongly recommend if you were using TetherBerry or a previous version of Tether to uninstall before installing this version.
http://tether.com/a/setup.exe
(If asked to reboot, wait until the installer is fully finished)

2. On your Android phone go to Settings->Applications->Development and check USB debugging.

3. Download the software onto your Android by visiting the following URL in your browser:
http://tether.com/a/tether.apk

Then run the file. It may ask you for permission to run software from outside of the Android Marketplace, make sure to give it permission.

4. Run Tether on the PC and select Android, then USB for the connection method. Then connect your Android to the computer with a USB cable and run Tether on your Android. The two should establish a connection and you should see data being sent and received on your PC.

The number one question we've been asked is will existing customers need to purchase a new Android license. Our team has decided, after much debate, that existing Tether customers will be able to get the Android version with a huge discount. The pricing will also be different than our current BlackBerry solution, for a number of business reasons. Keep in mind that your Android version will be transferable to any other Android, should you upgrade, change or lose your phone in the future for no cost. Exactly how our BlackBerry version currently operates.

But for now the Android Beta is available at no cost until we officially launch it!

Enjoy Tether for Android!

Thanks,
Tether Team

--

Last edited:

tgs3838

Reaction score
Well iv been going back and fourth on weather to root my cell so i could do wifi or usb tether. I wanna do it but really i get nervous reading all the steps. But i just seen this a few minutes ago and followed the steps and in 2-3 min i had it up and running. Which isn't to bad for me since im not really up on all this stuff. But Im using it right now on my laptop. And it seems to work great. Cant really tell a diff between this and wifi. Good work

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
I'll try it out and tell you guys how it goes hopefully its not some scam virus that bricks my phone and kills my computer..... Guess we'll find out...

*Edit* didn't read the post above lol but I'll still try it out!

Brick

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well iv been going back and fourth on weather to root my cell so i could do wifi or usb tether. I wanna do it but really i get nervous reading all the steps. But i just seen this a few minutes ago and followed the steps and in 2-3 min i had it up and running. Which isn't to bad for me since im not really up on all this stuff. But Im using it right now on my laptop. And it seems to work great. Cant really tell a diff between this and wifi. Good work

Does it cost anything?

tgs3838

Reaction score
I'll try it out and tell you guys how it goes hopefully its not some scam virus that bricks my phone and kills my computer..... Guess we'll find out...

*Edit* didn't read the post above lol but I'll still try it out!

Brick
haha well i hope its not that either. So far it seems to work ok. I seen this on the home page of Droidlife. So i figure its safe. But doing this wont really use up all of my data plan and get me in trouble will it? It says .884 mb data sent. And 47 mb data received. Iv been on it maybe 10-15 minutes. Dont wanna use it to much if it will run over or something. Im clueless to this crap

tgs3838

Reaction score

Does it cost anything?
Well i got the app for free. Think they said its a beta and they said to get it while it was a beta and while it was free to try it out

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I've never used PDA net, but this sounds like a substitution to that..

Last edited:

rlandon

Reaction score
According to their site, the BB version is $50. OUCH! So yes, as the OP email states, it would have to be at a SUBSTANTIAL lower price for us droids!

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
I'm using it as we speak..... But I don't really see the point??..... Android 2.2 has USB Tether built in by default I don't see why I need an app for it. It is working though and my computer and phone are both OK so I guess its a good app! dancedroid

AZDroid09

Reaction score
I got the beta email too, tried it, it is no faster for me than the built in tether in froyo which is free.....

and pdanet is also free, but I don't know if it is any faster or slower....

I just don't see them making much money on this but good luck to them...

tgs3838

Reaction score
I'm trying it because I haven't installed new update yet. But does new update have wifi tether as well? Or is that add on type thing

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I'm trying it because I haven't installed new update yet. But does new update have wifi tether as well? Or is that add on type thing

Its supposed to be included but no idea if VZW will charge more for it or what the deal will be..