Tether(berry) for Android Beta... Sign up today!

Raziel36

Reaction score
Code:
http://tether.com/android-beta
Sign up and you will receive and e-mail with instructions for downloading and setting up the Beta version. They claim to be sending invites in waves, but for the impatient folks out there, there is another option...
Download and install that to your PC. Once installed, just open up the install directory(C:\Program Files\Tether\) and you will see an APK file(tether.apk). Copy that file to your phone and use Astro, or any other file browser, to install the application. Then, start the Tether application on your PC and click on "Android USB Tether", it will instruct you to start the Tether application on your phone. Once you start the app on your phone, it will automatically connect and you can start browsing. I had a few issues with it, before I uninstalled EasyTether and restarted my phone(Moto Droid), but now it works like a charm and gives me double the speed that I was getting with EasyTether and PDANet. I've also noticed that the Tether app will get wonky if you get an e-mail while using it. It was either that, or rotating the phone that caused it... haven't actually tested much, just wanted to let you guys know. Enjoy!

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Code:
http://tether.com/android-beta
Sign up and you will receive and e-mail with instructions for downloading and setting up the Beta version. They claim to be sending invites in waves, but for the impatient folks out there, there is another option...
Download and install that to your PC. Once installed, just open up the install directory(C:\Program Files\Tether\) and you will see an APK file(tether.apk). Copy that file to your phone and use Astro, or any other file browser, to install the application. Then, start the Tether application on your PC and click on "Android USB Tether", it will instruct you to start the Tether application on your phone. Once you start the app on your phone, it will automatically connect and you can start browsing. I had a few issues with it, before I uninstalled EasyTether and restarted my phone(Moto Droid), but now it works like a charm and gives me double the speed that I was getting with EasyTether and PDANet. I've also noticed that the Tether app will get wonky if you get an e-mail while using it. It was either that, or rotating the phone that caused it... haven't actually tested much, just wanted to let you guys know. Enjoy!

attachment.php

Is this for stock phones?
The blackberry version is $50. Sort of steep if you ask me.

And in light of this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...32-links-threads-obtaining-swype-illegal.html we will see what happens to this one due to the link for impatient folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

Raziel36

Reaction score
Mine is rooted, so I cannot say. I would assume that a known company wouldn't force you to root your phone. The app never asks for root access, so it should work on stock, as well.

Swype makers got actively involved in telling sites to pull links, so I don't see this being an issue, unless they start telling site owners to remove links.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Raziel I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I left the sign up link up but a direct link should be provided by the developer(s)

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Downloaded the beta but cannot seem to get it to work - I get a connect message, but not enough packet exchange to get a connection and the PC dialog box doesn't display the text for two of the 3 selection boxes. . . the "Quit" shows up, but that is it. I do have PDANet installed and wondering if that is causing the problem. . .

OP
R

Raziel36

Reaction score
Downloaded the beta but cannot seem to get it to work - I get a connect message, but not enough packet exchange to get a connection and the PC dialog box doesn't display the text for two of the 3 selection boxes. . . the "Quit" shows up, but that is it. I do have PDANet installed and wondering if that is causing the problem. . .
I still have PDANet installed on PC/Phone and still have EasyTether installed on PC. I did disable the PDANet and EasyTether connections in the Network Connection Manager of my PC, so only the connection to this program was still active. Closed the apps on PC that used the phone previously, that usually sit in the notification tray. Try resetting the phone and PC, and making sure this is the only app open that utilizes the phone as a modem. I'm also running XP Service Pack 3, if that helps. No problems with the PC GUI not showing everything for me.

Edit: The box you should click on is the next to last one, if that happens to be one of the boxes not showing up. If you're on Vista/7, try running in XP compatibility mode.

Last edited:

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did get Tether connected for a few seconds, here and there, but not for an extended period. My original problem was that when I plugged my Droid into the USB cable and connected to my PC I mounted the device, which seemed to cause the havoc. This morning, when I did connect for like 2 minutes, I didn't mount the device and it connected.

When I error out I receive a "failed to open the tcp input stream: Java.net socket exception. Socket is closed", so I don't know what the issue is and will have to play with it a bit more, but I guess that is the benefit of a beta. . . right?

OP
R

Raziel36

Reaction score

When I error out I receive a "failed to open the tcp input stream: Java.net socket exception. Socket is closed", so I don't know what the issue is and will have to play with it a bit more, but I guess that is the benefit of a beta. . . right?
I get that error all the time, but it doesn't appear to cause any problems with browsing or playing on FullTilt poker. I do notice that I get the error, more often than not, when I've only got 1-2 bars of service. Probably not related, but it's possible. A quick search of Google for that error will give you a couple of threads at the tether.com forums where they are trying to figure out what it is. Also, in one of the threads, that are viewable by anyone, without signing up, they allowed a user to post the link to the setup.exe file, without removing it(as of early this morning)... and there's even a mod that is discussing the problem, in that thread. So I think my post could've been left alone :p Still you're call, though, cereal... and I will respect it.