it's starting to get funny

MonKENy

Reaction score
Because they dont care. They put out subpar phones all the time that they dont back. They have no reason NOT to sell it. When you are the US largest retailer of cell phone and service even your lesser maintained and cared about phones still sell. The nexus itself is a big enough name that they will carry it at least one more generation. If they do the same thing with the N2 I think that bridge will be burnt. People will buy the N2 from verizon in hopes that they will step up the game from here. If they dont then it will drive the rest of buyers off and you wont see an N3. If they do however maintain it even a little you will see it sell better.

Either way Verizon will carry the next run of nexus, probably not a 3rd unless they really pull through,

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because they dont care. They put out subpar phones all the time that they dont back. They have no reason NOT to sell it. When you are the US largest retailer of cell phone and service even your lesser maintained and cared about phones still sell. The nexus itself is a big enough name that they will carry it at least one more generation. If they do the same thing with the N2 I think that bridge will be burnt. People will buy the N2 from verizon in hopes that they will step up the game from here. If they dont then it will drive the rest of buyers off and you wont see an N3. If they do however maintain it even a little you will see it sell better.

Either way Verizon will carry the next run of nexus, probably not a 3rd unless they really pull through,

Even if Verizon does want to carry it, which I doubt, you have to realize that the only way they carry it is if Google lets them. Google's Nexus line is known for consistent updates and a pure Google experience. Google caved a little and let Verizon put a small amount of bloat on this version. I'm not sure they're willing to work with Verizon again after this pathetic display. Many people bought the Nexus line expecting relatively prompt updates and VZ has surely not delivered. I think this has soured Google on Verizon. Let's not forget that this was also the first Nexus VZ has carried. The line was successful before VZ and would continue to be successful without them. I'd be shocked if the next Nexus was available on Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MonKENy

Reaction score
that goes even further to my cause. Verizon is the biggest service provider in the US it is larger than att and bigger than all the other combined. Google needs to be on Verizon. They wont pull a phone from the line up. They can pressure them but you wont see them pull. Because even subpar nexus are still nexus. $ is $ and yes google has a better business model than most but it is still that, a BUSINESS model. You dont make $ pulling phones.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
MonKENy said:
that goes even further to my cause. Verizon is the biggest service provider in the US it is larger than att and bigger than all the other combined. Google needs to be on Verizon. They wont pull a phone from the line up. They can pressure them but you wont see them pull. Because even subpar nexus are still nexus. $ is $ and yes google has a better business model than most but it is still that, a BUSINESS model. You dont make $ pulling phones.

Well with Verizon's recent change of data plans and rates a lot of users are jumping ship to other providers. Also you have to remember the Nexus line is sold worldwide as well. If they decide to drop Verizon, they would take a hit but I don't think it would be as big a hit as we all think it might be. The general public, at least from what I noticed, had almost no interest in the Nexus and that's due to Verizon not properly marketing it (heck the only marketing the Nexus got was regarding G+) and with Verizon pushing their Droid lineup.

Overall I'd have to say the Nexus on Verizon was a failure, I mean look at how far behind they are on updates. This is definitely going to be evaluated in the release of the next Nexus and whether Verizon will be a provider or not. And from what I've seen, I don't think Google is choosing Verizon for the next Nexus. However, if somehow it does make it, I will once again rely on the never failing dev community

Galaxy Nexus using DF app

cupfulloflol

Reaction score

I imagine Google makes very little money off of the hardware of the Galaxy Nexus. If that is true, that doesn't make it much different than any other Android device in Google's eyes as far as money is concerned. The RAZR, SGS3, and HTC devices can access the play store. Folks can still buy apps, movies, and music on it. Folks can still get advertisements. This is where Google makes their money. The Nexus 7 is further proof of this, they sell the device for just a bit over what it costs to make. Same idea with Amazon's Kindle Fires, they sell for about what they are worth, and then make their money on what you do with your device afterwards (which is why the bootloader is locked on the new Fires, as folks were loading up stock Android and not using Amazon's apps). Many other companies use this idea with their products, sell the device to cover manufacturing and distribution costs, then ride out the services the buyers will use the device for (video game consoles are another example).

Verizon, on the other hand, makes less money from the Galaxy Nexus (theoretically at least), as it doesn't come preloaded with tons of Verizon apps. Or apps which the manufacturer or Verizon want to include, Need for Speed, Golf, Blockbuster, and whatever else that potentially could be monetized. Verizon wants you to use VZNavigator, rather than use Google Maps. Verizon has blocked Google Wallet from the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, perhaps due to competition with Isis (their NFC payment system).

I would not be shocked if both Verizon and Google didn't want much to do with one another after this device. Molasses like updates, blocking Google Wallet, releasing the device a month late, Verizon putting bloat on the device, and probably some other things I can't think of currently that Google wouldn't like. I would be surprised if the next Nexus is available on Verizon.

Sorry for the semi-off topic rant.

I still am rooting for IMM76Q as this long awaited OTA, as the entertainment value to me would be great to me. Just reading that it is true would be funny, but the forums would probably have some entertaining threads as well. I am a :icon_ devil:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still am rooting for IMM76Q as this long awaited OTA, as the entertainment value to me would be great to me. Just reading that it is true would be funny, but the forums would probably have some entertaining threads as well. I am a :icon_ devil:

I'm glad you feel the same way I do, cup. That would be absolutely hilarious!