It's Official + Owe It to Yourself

BOA

Reaction score
I can't speak on any other ROM as I left the ROM world for a while and was just using stock but decided this week to try one of these ROM's just to have a little more fun with my phone.

First let me say WOW Darkslide 4.2 is just flat out awesome. It beats any ROM I've ever used from my D1 to this. This thing worked from the start and has been working with zero problems thus far and I installed it last night 1/11. Like I said i haven't tried anything else but man this thing is so fast I can't even keep up with it. everything loads up quickly, smooth and I love the effects. My email and web loads up quickly. I'm still new to it and trying out other things. I haven't tried Navigation yet so I don't know how that works. 3G Hotspot is not working for me but I think I'm missing something there. Probably need to install the hack but I thought it was preloaded.

Anyway I LOVE Darkslide so far but I'm going to try Fission too as the idea of it having it's own ROM Manager to load add-ons and themes is interesting to me. I just hope it works as great as Darkslide but I'm happy with what I have now.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

midgetgrimm

Reaction score
@chkmate.....where can I alter those file names, do i nee a file manager. Or is there a free app that can do the same thing?

Also on a sidenote, to upgrade to Darkslide v4.2, do i need to do a complete rom install of v4.2, i thought it was an update, help on that would be greeat.

Arcstriker

Reaction score
One thing I did notice going from stock Droid X back in to the ROM world and running Fission... It seems my battery life wasn't holding up... I then noticed the 50% bug in the Battery Manager... Same say its all in your head, its just a glitch and doesn't make a difference... Let me tell you it does, and the only temp fix I found was to airplane mode it for a minute, and then turn airplane mode off.

I remember this was big in Android 2.0, the most common was LG Ally and HTC Droid Eris, however a LOT of Android 2.0 models had it. I thought it was fixed in Android 2.2, or maybe it was 2.2.3 OTA update. Anyway. Wasn't sure if anyone else had noticed it.

thistle

Reaction score
I will continue to stay true to my Darkslide, flawless :)

It is a great ROM just literally no kidding about half as fast as Fission.
So I was on darkslide 4.2 and decided to test out fission based on your recommendation. I don't see any real performance improvement. Highest quadrant I've been able to achieve is 1890 which is about the same as DS4.2 Screen re-draws might be a ever so slightly faster and scrolling through various lists seems to hiccup a little less often. Pretty minimal "improvements" for losing the darkslide theme. The default on fission is really bad. Where can you look at previews of the other themes available? Does fission have a main forum anywhere?

pyroelite

Reaction score
Quick question, does fission have media audio effects under sound in settings? & blur dialer, cam & gallery, & dlna?

from my DX

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
@chkmate.....where can I alter those file names, do i nee a file manager. Or is there a free app that can do the same thing?

Also on a sidenote, to upgrade to Darkslide v4.2, do i need to do a complete rom install of v4.2, i thought it was an update, help on that would be greeat.

Root Explorer is a paid app so you can modify/explore system files. I'm not sure if there is a free app to use for that. If I say no, then someone will come along and say yes. But not that I know of.

Yes. you need the Darkslide version 4.1 ROM install first. The 4.2 update is just an update for that ROM :)

S

scrub175

this speed that everyone is after... Where does it really help on day to day use with high linpack and quandrant scores? I would guess gaming perhaps.

I was going to try fission and was researching their rom thread. Lets just say the environment on the Darkslide thread was/is quite a bit different and much more to my liking. Plus I think Darkslide is themed perfectly.

It's a shame about the support cause I was looking forward to trying fission. Maybe it's different now but I haven't looked lately.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
this speed that everyone is after... Where does it really help on day to day use with high linpack and quandrant scores? I would guess gaming perhaps.

I was going to try fission and was researching their rom thread. Lets just say the environment on the Darkslide thread was/is quite a bit different and much more to my liking. Plus I think Darkslide is themed perfectly.

It's a shame about the support cause I was looking forward to trying fission. Maybe it's different now but I haven't looked lately.

I can understand gaming. But how good can it possibly be on a phone? I must be missing something. I love Angry Birds and a couple others. But if I'm spending that much time gaming I will turn on the old xBox 360. Or go buy a PSP :)

//Tap'd on CM8's DX w/DF app\\

Beka27

Reaction score
I put fission on yesterday. It was my first time flashing a rom and I'm really liking it so far (but... again, it's my first, so I'm sure I'll still experiment here and there.)

So other roms don't have a rom manager? I thought that was a really nice feature.

(from Beka's DX)

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
I will continue to stay true to my Darkslide, flawless :)

So I was on darkslide 4.2 and decided to test out fission based on your recommendation. I don't see any real performance improvement. Highest quadrant I've been able to achieve is 1890 which is about the same as DS4.2 Screen re-draws might be a ever so slightly faster and scrolling through various lists seems to hiccup a little less often. Pretty minimal "improvements" for losing the darkslide theme. The default on fission is really bad. Where can you look at previews of the other themes available? Does fission have a main forum anywhere?

i love darkslide, as well...but you have to remember quad scores dont mean anything. Unless you are running some high intensity games, which android really doesnt even have yet, i would just ditch that quadrant app lol I mean no disrespect, just trying to help. I have had some ROMs that were super fast , yet barely hit 1000 in quad scores

EDIT: oops, it was kind of already addressed above

Last edited:

thistle

Reaction score

i love darkslide, as well...but you have to remember quad scores dont mean anything. Unless you are running some high intensity games, which android really doesnt even have yet, i would just ditch that quadrant app lol I mean no disrespect, just trying to help. I have had some ROMs that were super fast , yet barely hit 1000 in quad scores

EDIT: oops, it was kind of already addressed above
Well, quadrant was only part of my comment. However, I've never had a ROM that scored low on quadrant or other benchmarks not feel noticeably slow elsewhere though. However, most are so close it's pretty irrelevant, which was the essence of my comment anyway. But there's no way fission is 2x as fast darkslide, whether in benchmarks or normal tasking.

One thing I have liked about fission so far is that it removes much more of the bloat than darkslide, e.g. I just don't want to see Backup Assistant in settings at all. Unlike some others though I do miss the color-code status bar icons of DS. But the third eye theme is a passable replacement.

ultrastigi

Reaction score
Ummm, fast? How fast do people need their phone to be? Mine is as quick as I can process what is happening. And I can get up to 3 days of battery with Darkslide + my setup. I'm set :)

I don't over/underclock or nothing and my phone is as speedy as can be. I'm sure Fission is great, but I don't believe its the best. There are a LOT of good ROM's out there.

And now there's Liberty, which I'm sure is gonna be excellent. JMO.

What is your setup if you dont mind my asking, you could pm me. I jsut did darkslide and am new. I would like some ideas. thank you

First... I have the BH6X 1930 mAh extended battery. Not a big one, but helps a little.

Second, I'm not on my phone constantly. I make and take a lot of phone calls, but phone calls don't use display.

Third, I DON'T under/overclock my phone. There is no need for it. I don't use taskillers or battery management apps. They are just more apps running.

Fourth, I freeze EVERYTHING I'm not using. The list is about 20 apps long, and that's not including the bloatware that's removed. To name a few, news/weather widget, music, media share, blockbuster, anything amazon, radio and that's just a few. If your not using it, why have it on?

Hope that helps a little.

I see chkmate everywhere on the forums showing his battery. It's the real deal. He is a GOD when it comes to saving battery life.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
What is your setup if you dont mind my asking, you could pm me. I jsut did darkslide and am new. I would like some ideas. thank you

First... I have the BH6X 1930 mAh extended battery. Not a big one, but helps a little.

Second, I'm not on my phone constantly. I make and take a lot of phone calls, but phone calls don't use display.

Third, I DON'T under/overclock my phone. There is no need for it. I don't use taskillers or battery management apps. They are just more apps running.

Fourth, I freeze EVERYTHING I'm not using. The list is about 20 apps long, and that's not including the bloatware that's removed. To name a few, news/weather widget, music, media share, blockbuster, anything amazon, radio and that's just a few. If your not using it, why have it on?

Hope that helps a little.

I see chkmate everywhere on the forums showing his battery. It's the real deal. He is a GOD when it comes to saving battery life.

Thank you for the words, seriously :)

Everything seems to turn into battery life at some point, I get kinda

sick of it cause EVERYONE gets different results. No 2 people have the

exact same setup. So therefore it is impossible to claim this or that in

comparison. I show my pics to show what I've came up with. Doesn't mean

I'm saying all will get this result with DS v4.1/2

ultrastigi

Reaction score
I egypt about 14 hrs out of mine and thays all I need really. Im always surfing the new and forums and texting. Not to many calls. Plus I got a lot of widgets running as well.

I always seeing you posting pics of your battery and stuff and its amazing.

if yoda had a droid he would be running darkslide.