Issues I have seen w/ the Droid 3

mark48

Reaction score
I am new to the forum; but, not new to Droid. Have been using the Droid for 2 years and just bought my wife and I new Droid 3's and here are the experiences of our new Droid 3s.

Day 1 - Google update works good (aps loaded, contacts populated). Albeit, PDANet is still shunned by Verizon. Bluetooth linked to Jawbone; but, the quality is poor. “Note Everything” did not import my notes and does not recognize the notes on the SD card to import the notes. Determined that it is a software glitch as “Note Everything” does recognize .txt notes on the Droid “Internal Memory”.

Day 2 - Wireless and Bluetooth will not work (turn them on and they immediately turn off). Verizon troubleshoots and does a phone reset to no avail. Verizon Phone the replaced.

Day 3 – Bluetooth works; but, still poor quality (Jawbone sometimes won’t hookup on initial call. Have to restart phone to get it to work.

Day 4 – Well, the Advertised 550 minutes of talk time is about 3x what I am getting. Perhaps just wishful thinking from Veizon. I have everything turned off possible (wireless, GPS, …). My two year old Droid with the original battery does just as well.

Day 5 – I am on travel (not in my area) and Airplane mode will not turn off. I held the on button down and turned it off – it stayed on. I turned it off from the “wireless network settings”; but, it still stayed on. Then I tried to make a call and was prompted to allow Airplane mode to turn off and it worked.

The GPS won’t connect. It failed to connect for ~30 minutes. Restarted the phone and it did connect.

Day 6 – Data Roaming is default set to “off”. I notice that the phone automatically turns Data Roaming off after minutes to hours of “data roaming”. Verizon tech support does not know how to prevent this. Spent an hour and a half on the phone with various levels of tech support (final was Level 3 or Tier 3) and wouldn’t you know it - When I was transferred to Level 3, the phone did a “reset”, I lost the call and had to start over. If this were a Microsoft product, I would call all of these “features”.

If anyone learns of fixes for these features, please let me know.

FYI - I also learned to day that the 14 day evaluation period includes the delivery time on both ends if you order your phone on line. Hence, our evaluation time may only be 8 days.

aramos87

Reaction score
I haven't experienced any of these issues at all.. My battery is at 40% still after 10 hours of moderate use (stock battery) and all of the features described work just fine.. maybe you received a bad device.... have you had it replaced?

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

dazoe

Reaction score
Data roaming-
I have seen the data roaming thing, on two devices, when I talked to vzw support I was transfered to a very good rep, got me a new replacement even though the 14 day thing only allows for 1 exchange! She told me I was the first to call in about this issue, I was on the phone for about 1 and a half hours, half of that was on hold while she called various people, including motorola. Considering it is still an issue with my newest device I'd have to say it's a software bug.

Wifi-
Wifi works just fine for me, I turn off wifi when I leave for work in the morning, I drive around to a lot of places in the morning so I leave wifi off most of the morning. In the afternoon I stay at the office so I turn wifi back on, takes only a few seconds to connect to the wifi at work. After work I go directly home so I just leave it on, automatically connects before I get out of my car.

Bluetooth-
I don't have a need for bluetooth so that just stays off all the time.

Battery-
I have noticed there is deffintally a 'break in' time for the battery, at first I was lucky to get half way through the day, but now with my normal rate of usage/calling I normally have 20-35% when I plug it in and go to bed, I don't use any auto taks killer and leave my phone's battery mode set to performance mode.

Airplane/battery-
My job requires me to drive all over the state from time to time, and I have noticed the phone really likes to stay connected to vzw's towers, at the cost of battery life. At one time it was hopping back and forth from extended network and vzw, and fast too, seems like the phone connected to the extended network for about 20 seconds then saw a vzw tower, switched to it then decided the signal quality was too poor so switched back and got stuck in that loop, phone got really hot and drained 15% in about 10mins. I chalk that up to a software bug, same sort of thing happed with all 3 devices I've had. So now when I know i'll be going to an area like that I just turn on airplane mode. I have no issues turning it back off. About 2 or 3 times a day about once every 2 weeks.

Gps-
I've never had any issues with gps, I use maps 'tracking only' just about everyday, navagation about once a week. Always get a lock within 1-10 seconds. Unless I'm inside a building. I only use the 'stand alone gps' option, I have no idea why verizon decided to make the location options more complicated by adding their own location service. Maybe this is what is causing some problems?

When I started typing I didn't intend it to be this long but comming from a D1 I need all typing pratice I can get to get used to this new wide keyboard.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
M

mark48

Reaction score
Hot on the Trail of a solution

After continued "Data Roaming" functionality loss, I believe we are on the trail of a resolution. Today I experienced total loss of call capabilities and the Data Roaming function would not stay turned on. When I selected it to on, it immediately turned off. It just so happened that I was in a secure area with significant wireless security. So, now I believe the issue to be that the Droid 3 will automatically link to a Verizon network (tower) when one is in range and at that time automatically turn off Data Roaming. My reasoning is that the wireless interference put the phone in a state of "confusion" (did not detect a non-Verizon network or a Verizon network). So, the default state when the network is unknown appears to be set the phone for a Verizon network. So, now we just need to figure out how to keep this from happening (assuming it is). To further complicate the issue, the interference was so strong that the phone would not even make a call. I move just a few feet and functionality returned.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
To see what the issue was I turned data roaming on my phone. Its still on a day later. Every time I go back and check it its still checked. So not sure why you're having a problem with it turning itself off. I've got a VZW tower pretty close, so maybe if your on the fringes it has issues. Just know for me data roaming is enabled and staying enabled.

end of line...

bigdad63

Reaction score
It appears that the new moto phones will not run apps from the sd card. If you look the sd card is listed as sd-ext and the internal memory should be listed as plain sd. You would have to move all of the program data to the internal memory to get it to work. The other stuff sounds like you may have another lemon possibly.

dazoe

Reaction score
To see what the issue was I turned data roaming on my phone. Its still on a day later. Every time I go back and check it its still checked. So not sure why you're having a problem with it turning itself off. I've got a VZW tower pretty close, so maybe if your on the fringes it has issues. Just know for me data roaming is enabled and staying enabled.

end of line...

Wait till you go somewhere and hit 'extended network' it seems like it happends most often when I detects a non vzw or extended network tower, ie an unknown tower, which in that case the phone should just not use the tower and the option should never turn itself off because it is needed when moving back into 'extended network'
The reason I make this statement is because when I have seen this happen I was close to either a non coverage area (you know, those nice white spots on the coverage map), or close to an area covered by a small local cdma carrier that has their own towers.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

izzidef

Reaction score
@Mark48

I have the exact same problems to a T. I am a touring musician and it kicks me off data all the time, wont find GPS and even kills my reception when people next to me with Verizon droids have perfect service. Its killing me