Issue of disrespect or people being over sensitive?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There's a fine line between art and just using certain words or actions for shock value. I do shows with a local theater group and was just in a show where I uttered the first curse word of the show on stage and it was "GD" and then there were multiple F words in the show as well, but it wasn't done for shock. It lent itself to the situations in the show and, imo, was artistic rather than vulgar. Our patrons tend to be of an older generation that you would think might be more offended by some of that language. For the most part, folks that we talked to that saw the show enjoyed it because it had some real substance to it and felt that the language wasn't overdone just for the sake of being overdone. We pride ourselves on doing shows as close to how they're written as we can, so we were a bit nervous about this show, but the overall reception of it was very positive. (Except for a lady from one of our members' church who made a complaint because "people in this town don't talk like that." lol)

These pictures depicting people fighting, to me, are in a different realm than the language choices of some movies. Taken at face value, yes, the picture in the OP is a man strangling a woman. But as we've said, that's completely out of context of the movie. It's been a little while since I've seen it, but I don't remember that male character ever hurting or killing anyone just because. It was always because he was "helping" one of the people who became his followers or because he was being attacked himself.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
A cultures sensitivities evolve over time due to many factors.
Blazing saddles did not really raise an eyebrow when it first premiered.
This movie's humor is based on how ridiculous stereotypes are.
PC badges....we don't need no stinking PC badges :)

As I rant on.... Most Mexican jokes (as in jokes told by Mexicans in Mexico) start with "a Mexican an American and a German walk into....". The jokes play on the stereotype of the poor, uneducated, yet astute Mexican getting ahead in the end. No one is offended...big laughs all around.
That's due to the fact that Mexicans accept that the stereotype is wrong..."so let's have some fun with it"
I know this because, even though I look whiter than Bill Clinton, I'm Mexican... raised in Mexico City.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about that when I typed the above post. Personally I agree that is is too overboard and almost disrespectful. But again, the way I respond to that is to either not watch it or rate it on imdb. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to make the keyboard warriors who sit behind the keyboard and bully or be bigots seem like they are what is right with America. No. But just because I dont like something should not mean it should be outlawed.
The wallet used to be mightier than the pen, which was mightier than the sword. Now folks just whine on social media, blogs or forums and continue to swallow the same garbage. All these years I've read countless posts about greed and inconsideration by carriers but they sign back up again. Politicians, same deal. Gripe and moan then reelect.
Oh what a bugaboo it is to have all these first world problems.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It's acting..it's a depiction of a story .real or fake...intended to.entertain ....

To the sensy types...get over it .did ya see how Peta choked the crap outta her in the almost last moking Jay?

How about keanu Reeves latest movie where 2 chicks seduce him then try to kill him...

Just because you're "offended" doesn't make you right nor does it so the version you approve of, should be what's seen..look away..better yet..go watch reading rainbow re runs on PBS and let the rest of the world do it's thing..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's acting..it's a depiction of a story .real or fake...intended to.entertain ....

To the sensy types...get over it .did ya see how Peta choked the crap outta her in the almost last moking Jay?

How about keanu Reeves latest movie where 2 chicks seduce him then try to kill him...

Just because you're "offended" doesn't make you right nor does it so the version you approve of, should be what's seen..look away..better yet..go watch reading rainbow re runs on PBS and let the rest of the world do it's thing..
Is it me or did the reading rainbow song just cued up in your head.

Thanks B for that.

Gotta get it out of my head.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it me or did the reading rainbow song just cued up in your head.

Thanks B for that.

Gotta get it out of my head.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
No but the episode of Sesame Street where Cookie Monster chose an apple over a cookie did . I didn't let my ,then, toddler daughter watch that show any more after that.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 5
Twitter
@healthymommy13
Ugh. Suck it up buttercups of America. People now a days have a HUGE lack of respect in general for everyone around them. However in the "everyone wins" society it has made people be offended by everyone and everything and they feel they need to be catered to and cushioned in life. Drives me crazy!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Yet they demand respect from everyone around them.. And want to be tolerated for what they deem as correct yet are intolerant of what they deem they don't need to be tolerant of...
Society is wacked... TYO.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It's not so much about respect..because they don't have any...it's about being "right" and getting their way IMHO. There is no tolerance for difference anymore...yet they complain endlessly about bullying...they wouldn't have made my childhood..I was the pore musicians son who lived in Richy richville who didn't have Nike's and designer jeans..I couldn't even defend myself against bullies because "I might hurt them".. isn't that the point? Anyhow without going into it..I had a very bad parent and I had to cope..these kids now days could be coddled and have their little butts rubbed and still couldn't deal with crap from our era..
Really this all started back about 18 years ago in my mind..when people started .making the push from saying merry Christmas to happy holidays...and so on and so forth..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If we could all just see ourselves through truly unbiased eyes we'd see just how absurdly childish and arrogant we are acting with all this PC crap. We're raising our sons and daughters (and those who were sons or daughters but are now either the opposite or in transition), to be a bunch of thin skinned, entitlement trained, hypersensitive pansies.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not so much about respect..because they don't have any...it's about being "right" and getting their way IMHO. There is no tolerance for difference anymore...yet they complain endlessly about bullying...they wouldn't have made my childhood..I was the pore musicians son who lived in Richy richville who didn't have Nike's and designer jeans..I couldn't even defend myself against bullies because "I might hurt them".. isn't that the point? Anyhow without going into it..I had a very bad parent and I had to cope..these kids now days could be coddled and have their little butts rubbed and still couldn't deal with crap from our era..
Really this all started back about 18 years ago in my mind..when people started .making the push from saying merry Christmas to happy holidays...and so on and so forth..
It actually started before that. Young adults in the depression that saw the horrors of WWII swore they'd not let their children go through that, raising a generation in the super prosperous 50s that had children that became the hippy generation that ran the nation and business until their children now are the power brokers. With the same mindset that they'll never let their children "suffer" as they did it has gotten to what the definition is suffering has become so crazy. The definition of prosperity has also been bastardized into the American dream being just a lie. Add in generations of children who saw their parents live on the government only to repeat the cycle.
The melting pot called America is so far from what it was just after the turn of the 20th century with an entire nation not realizing the hyphen only makes us weaker and not stronger as a nation.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><