Baptiste-Queru Leaves AOSP over Nexus 7 Factory Images Issues with Qualcomm; Petition

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-7-factory-images-issues-aosp.png

A loud ruckus surrounding the factory images for the new Nexus 7 has just developed over the past day or so. The source of the issue stems from Qualcomm licensing issues. Apparently Qualcomm has some custom code embedded in their new chips in the next generation Nexus 7, and they are unwilling/unable to work out some type of arrangement with Google so that Google's AOSP initiative can release the factory images. This resulted in quite a bit of drama.

First, the famed AOSP developer Jean Baptiste-Queru has quit the AOSP in disgust over the whole issue. He is frustrated because he was being blamed for the issue, even though it is completely out of his hands to control. Here's a quote from him on the subject,

Well, I see that people have figured out why I’m quitting AOSP.

There’s no point being the maintainer of an Operating System that can’t boot to the home screen on its flagship device for lack of GPU support, especially when I’m getting the blame for something that I don’t have authority to fix myself and that I had anticipated and escalated more than 6 months ahead.

Who wouldn't want to give up when faced with such a "catch 22" situation? Of course, that isn't the end of it. A petition has been put up on Change.org directed at the CEO of Qualcomm. Its sole purpose is to get the issue resolved by allowing the factory images to be published. If it works, hopefully it might also bring Jean Baptiste-Queru back to the AOSP. Here's a quote from the petition, followed by a link in case you want to sign your name to it,

Please allow Google to release the factory images of Android devices using Qualcomm CPU’s and GPU’s to the Android Open Source Project. It is a large inconvenience to developers and programmers worldwide trying to improve the experience of Android, while the factory images are locked down, due to legal issues with a few proprietary GPU binaries.

It's funny how software patents create such a huge headache, even when it's not about someone getting sued.

Source: Change.org

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm mixed on this issue. GPUs are very competitive. I think they should be able to protect their IP but on the flip side, they are working in an open environment. They are supposed to be releasing code because of the GPL license of Android (correct me if I'm wrong). They are in fact breaking the rules of Linux by not doing so. At the same time though, this is the kind of thing that takes down giants and helps the little guys to grow and get better.

VirtualCLD

Reaction score
I'm mixed on this issue. GPUs are very competitive. I think they should be able to protect their IP but on the flip side, they are working in an open environment. They are supposed to be releasing code because of the GPL license of Android (correct me if I'm wrong). They are in fact breaking the rules of Linux by not doing so. At the same time though, this is the kind of thing that takes down giants and helps the little guys to grow and get better.

I admit, I'm a hardware IC chip designer so I don't fully appreciate software IP, but I would think that protecting their chip design should be sufficient. I realize that the firmware and driver code can give insights into how the GPU was designed and put together, but it's very difficult to put the whole circuit design together based on custom code. Intel releases source code for the chipsets and GPUs all of the time for Linux and they don't seem to suffer (then again Intel is not known for their GPUs). I believe AMD (formerly ATI) releases source code for their GPU drivers without issue, but I could be wrong on that... (citation needed?)

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
JBQ is not just some guy to let go of like yesterday's paper, if you follow the AOSP mailing list he single handedly answers every question.

shame

comk4ver

Reaction score
I wonder if he'll come back now? Must suck to work with people who won't give you the tools you need to succeed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4