Fall Back 2015: The tech that fell back this year

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Fall%20Back%20for%20Website.jpg

As we are marching fast toward the holidays I am reminded of the devices that fell back, the devices that got our attention during their unveiling and that was it.

Do you agree with the devices we have on this list?

What devices did we leave off?

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
As someone who's really been embracing Linux lately (Debian file server, SteamOS on a second SSD, Antergos on a laptop USB drive), I'm really curious to see how the Ubuntu phone fares.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The main issue for them is that their impression is that they're for tech heads. They don't offer the out-of-the-box everyday functionality that Android, iOS, or even Windows mobile does, I don't think they've marketed themselves well to business, where some of the flexibility might be of use in creating an interface that improves efficiency and productivity, and the design isn't even talked about cosmetically. They have nothing to make them a talking point outside of the 'gadgetsphere'. Guess we'll see.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
The main issue for them is that their impression is that they're for tech heads. They don't offer the out-of-the-box everyday functionality that Android, iOS, or even Windows mobile does, I don't think they've marketed themselves well to business, where some of the flexibility might be of use in creating an interface that improves efficiency and productivity, and the design isn't even talked about cosmetically. They have nothing to make them a talking point outside of the 'gadgetsphere'. Guess we'll see.

I absolutely agree with your assessment; maybe it's the novelty of it that intrigues me. Either way, I'm curious to see how this works out. Alternatives and options are always a good thing!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
As someone who's really been embracing Linux lately (Debian file server, SteamOS on a second SSD, Antergos on a laptop USB drive), I'm really curious to see how the Ubuntu phone fares.

I really need to make a switch to Linux. I've found myself having to use it more at work even though we are mostly a Windows based school district. I hate having to look up some of the most basic functions.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Good point, but we could argue the same about Android. Remember it took awhile for development to catch on. Ubuntu have to find away to appeal to the market and not feel like another android-like device.
Because people outside the fold will not know the difference.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I really need to make a switch to Linux. I've found myself having to use it more at work even though we are mostly a Windows based school district. I hate having to look up some of the most basic functions.

If you're not familiar with Code Academy, they're a fantastic way to learn some program languages. Here's a link on navigating the Linux terminal.
Learn the Command Line

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know many of the CM partnerships have been on rocky waters thus far, but I think a CM/Ubuntu partnership could work. CM could build a software from scratch off of Ubuntu vs Android (considering his disagreements with the direction of Google as of late).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If you're not familiar with Code Academy, they're a fantastic way to learn some program languages. Here's a link on navigating the Linux terminal.
Learn the Command Line

I'm definitely going to go through this. I know enough to get along with but I want to know more about them instead of just fumbling around sometimes.