Is the guy at Verizon right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingdo

Reaction score
Tell you what there mr know it all...... .

Mr Know it All is an EE, whilst it appears you got your degree from Battery University. Skull is totally correct on this (oh wait I'm an EE as well, guess that makes me useless for silly things like this), and the OP is best served to listen to Skull's advice.

No Skull is not correct. When you use the device and you charge it at the same time the battery gets hotter then normal. The simple process of heating the battery will cause the battery life to decrease.

TO do this a few times for very short periods of time might be fine. But if you do this on a regular basis you will experience a shortened battery life.

Actually he is. I got my Droid 1 the week they were released and my original battery (replaced in December for an extended battery so I can go 2 days) still works fine and dandy, with over 24 hours of real world use available per charge. I only went to the extended battery because I needed the ability to go a long weekend w/o a charge.

All you have used to "prove" your point is one web link which does not even apply to smartphones.

Skull has proven himself here time and time again with great knowledge or REAL electrical facts. You have not, you've just posted the second link down in a google search on Li-ion batteries.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
The minimal heat increase while charging/using the phone will do so little to the life of the battery, you will have switched phones before it made a noticable difference. While charging, the phone draws some amperage to power itself in addition to the battery drawing some to charge. You can plug your phone in without a battery in and it will work, did this before on my D1.

Heat does degrade battery life, but the little heat that you notice is minimal and the effects are not worth mentioning, if it were making the battery hit 150F+ then i would be worried. I used my D1 all the time doing this and never saw a decrease in battery life over a year.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think this argument has gone on long enough with one side not bringing anything to the table.

Can we please stop it before we get back to the personal attacks? Thank you.

Ag3nt X

Reaction score
Batteries lose capacity as part of aging, cycling and exposure to heat.

Using the battery while charging it expose the battery to cycling and to excessive heat. 2 of the 3 things that cause it to lose capacity.

This is not rocket science but rather very simple matter of fact process that takes place.

If you do not do this on a regular basis you will be fine. But if you do this often you will with out a doubt have reduced battery performance and lifespan.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
given that this discussion has run it's course I am going to close this one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.