is task killer BAD or just not needed.

jhart15063

Reaction score
i know that my phone will automatically kill apps for memory but i seemed like ATK saved my battery when i used it. if i use apps like ATK it wont hurt my phone right?

:droideris:

Darkseider

Reaction score
No it won't hurt your phone but through all the testing I have done with task killers they have done more harm than good. Unless you have some app on the device that is poorly written and not playing nice you won't notice any difference at all.

713King

Reaction score
Wow how many times has it been asked, did you even bother with searching the forum to see if it's been talked about? Maybe someone should make a video on how to search a forum.

OP
J

jhart15063

Reaction score
yea i did search it and i got a bunch of **** saying it was bad, pointless and good...and that your phone will do it automatically but i just wanted to know if its bad for my phone

713King

Reaction score
Its not bad unless you end task on apps that are to make your droid run good. Like for example if you have it to autokill everything and kills phone it will hang up on you when in a call and not only that when starting programs over it will make ur phone lag and could cause to make ur battery go low faster. I'd suggest not to use them, your phone will still run good without it.

brentonius

Reaction score
Wow, on a more civil note, ATK will indeed save your battery. I use it almost every time I unlock my phone and my battery life has doubled.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Wow, on a more civil note, ATK will indeed save your battery. I use it almost every time I unlock my phone and my battery life has doubled.

Here's a quick test. When your Eris gets its' 2.1 update, remove task killer, reboot the phone and then use it as you normally would. See what if any difference there is. I am willing to bet that you see little to no difference at all. Especially if the tasks you are killing everytime you unlock your phone are killed over and over everytime you unlock your phone. This means you are killing apps/processes that are simply restarting again. Let the OS do its' thing without any intervention at all. Also if you happen to have a 3rd party app that is behaving badly and you constantly kill it then you are treating a symptom and not the cause. Just give it a shot for 3 days and report back if you would.

littlerick

Reaction score
i've tested this over the weekend and i have to agree, there is pretty much no difference. so no you dont need it but it wont hurt your phone either

OP
J

jhart15063

Reaction score
darksider...i had uninstalled it already but i used to have it and my battery lasted like 2 days, now it lasts around 1, i just got 2.1 and i read up on what apps to kill and what apps to ignore, so im gonna test it for a bit like you said and ill let u guys know

Darkseider

Reaction score
darksider...i had uninstalled it already but i used to have it and my battery lasted like 2 days, now it lasts around 1, i just got 2.1 and i read up on what apps to kill and what apps to ignore, so im gonna test it for a bit like you said and ill let u guys know

Excellent! Oh one more thing to make note of if you would. The apps that you ARE killing. Would like to know which they are and if they are known to be problem children.

:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:dancedroiddancedroid:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i had task killers installed up until a month ago. i have unistalled them without any bad effects of shorter battery life.. phone is just as fast as ever.. so IMO they are not needed.. but they will not hurt the Phone

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
What will hurt the phone? Overclocking to excess, dropping it, dropping something on it, lasers, sharks...