is rooting the og d2 the same as d2g??

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
well im wondering if rooting the original droid2 the same as rooting the droid 2 global. i ask because i currently aquired a droid 2 for the price of lunch (thai food $7.36). the guy who gave it to me rooted it but accepted the Gb ota when it rolled out. so it jacked the root all up the device is like it is half rooted in some apps it asks for root permission but if i go into the root check app it says im not rooted but i have SU app installed nor will it update the binaries for su.
so its jacked!

what im wanting to do is fix the root problem and sell this for a lil profit to another gentleman at work. so im thinking i just need to reroot the dang thing so thats why im wondering if all these fancy one click roots out that say they work with all moto droid phones but i dont see then say specificaly the droid 2 they say droid 2g.

so are they the same when it comes to rooting.

sorry for the book and thanks for any answers

bob

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Both the D2 and D2G can be rooted with the same method. Since it is running the latest OTA (which is gingerbread) you will need to use the "Droid 3 One-Click Method" also know as the "Motorola Root Tool."

Have never tried it on a device that was rooted and then lost it due to the OTA but it should work.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I agree going back to stock first would make the process much cleaner, more work but IMO worth it.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
OP
M

mtnbkrbob

Reaction score
WOW! thanks ladies and gents. i havent done nothing with it yet was still deciding about how to go about fixing it and i was also thinking of taing it back stock. and i was searching fo rthat also so i thank you.

bob

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
No problem Bob. Let us know how you make out or if you have any more questions :biggrin:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Definitely keep us posted on your progress! Good luck!