Is anyone the tiniest bit jealous of the iPhone 4s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look I know sometimes I seem like I am just hopelessly defending Apple against Android but I promise that is just not the case. What I don't like is the irrational thought process in which people arrive at one of the following conclusions: 1) All Apple users are brainless sheep 2)The iPhone just sucks 3)As an Android user I am much smarter than an Apple user. 4)It's from Apple so I just hate it without ever bothering to look at the facts.........I could name a few others but I will end there. I would say the exact same thing to Apple users who mindlessly hate on Android. I am not saying all this to say someone should like Apple, it's completely your prerogative to like whatever you want but do so using straight facts.

I am all for technology, whether it be from Apple, Android, Microsoft whatever. I don't blindly buy things and I own Mac computers so when someone suggests that Mac users are basically dumb idiots, I do take it a little personally.......should I not?

gthotie5

Reaction score
Your source that shows that apple users purchase iPhones not because they want them, but as status symbols? Or is this just some blind assumption with no proof?

Btw, you also have no proof that those android users surveyed had 4g phones thereby giving them a chance of being right

I personally know a lot of people who buy iphones just because its "Cool" to have one. Everyone knows this, proof is everywhere.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I personally know a lot of people who buy iphones just because its "Cool" to have one. Everyone knows this, proof is everywhere.

so you don't think people will buy the Nexus just because it's the next cool Android device?

danceswithbongs

Reaction score
Actually everything I wrote was completely civil and I would have said that exact same thing to someone's face.
I choose my words and choose them wisely and don't appreciate selective editing. Especially when you were no where when religious beliefs were insulted. I am not religious but respect others and their right to believe something and not come to a site that isn't about ontological arguments and have to read insults of that sort.

Also Liderc here is what you actually stated regarding marketing and no mention of doing research or things along those lines existed. :

I swear, marketing has never worked on me and I truly do not understand how it works on anyone.

walkin the walk while tappin the talk
danceswithbongs

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Oh ok. I personally know a lot of people who bought android phones because they couldn't get an iphone and they hate them. Anecdotal evidence proves nothing. Nor does saying "everyone knows this" with no proof.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look I know sometimes I seem like I am just hopelessly defending Apple against Android but I promise that is just not the case. What I don't like is the irrational thought process in which people arrive at one of the following conclusions: 1) All Apple users are brainless sheep 2)The iPhone just sucks 3)As an Android user I am much smarter than an Apple user. 4)It's from Apple so I just hate it without ever bothering to look at the facts.........I could name a few others but I will end there. I would say the exact same thing to Apple users who mindlessly hate on Android. I am not saying all this to say someone should like Apple, it's completely your prerogative to like whatever you want but do so using straight facts.

I am all for technology, whether it be from Apple, Android, Microsoft whatever. I don't blindly buy things and I own Mac computers so when someone suggests that Mac users are basically dumb idiots, I do take it a little personally.......should I not?

Well I can relieve tension between us as I don't think IPhone's suck, they're quite good and their screen's still rival any other screen ever released, all Apple users are definitely not brainless sheep (I have two engineer colleagues who use them) and all Android users are definitely not smarter than all Apple users. Those assumptions are all baseless untruths and I imagine nearly anyone would agree.

I run 5 miles everyday with my Itouch, because it's amazing at what I use it for, organizing and playing music.

Choices are what make the advancements in technology great, we all get to choose what we use and how we use them.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I can relieve tension between us as I don't think IPhone's suck, they're quite good and their screen's still rival any other screen ever released, all Apple users are definitely not brainless sheep (I have two engineer colleagues who use them) and all Android users are definitely not smarter than all Apple users. Those assumptions are all baseless untruths and I imagine nearly anyone would agree.

I run 5 miles everyday with my Itouch, because it's amazing at what I use it for, organizing and playing music.

Choices are what make the advancements in technology great, we all get to choose what we use and how we use them.
I wasn't accusing you of those things, just to clear that up, but stick around long enough in any thread that mentions the iPhone and you will see it plenty. I don't love Apple or Android and I certainly don't hate either. I say let people buy what they want, when they want and do with it whatever they want. Unless someone is spending my money, I really don't care if they buy a $6,000 watch and it's really only worth $12.95. I reserve love and hate, well I try to never hate but I reserve them for the things that truly matter in life.

flamepanther

Reaction score

Should be "not all are." "All are not" could be taken to mean that none of them are, and that's not true either.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would venture to say the iPhone has more "cool" factor in people's minds - the majority of people who don't give these phones a second thought. Throw an iPhone 4 on Craigslist for a premium, and watch the number of contacts you get. Throw a Bionic or HTC Sensation 4G on there for a discount, and watch how few hits you get. Apple's done a genius job of marketing their phone and infiltrating the minds of the general public. Therefore, I think the evidence about the iPhone making people feel "cool" is much more than anecdotal. Android has caught up, but the iPhone still holds that spot.

As forum users (implying that most of us are more "die hard" into our devices), we tend to analyze this stuff more than the general public, and therefore, not only can we not fathom having our minds infiltrated without first educationing ourselves, we simply don't fall into the same category as the general public with this stuff.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would venture to say the iPhone has more "cool" factor in people's minds - the majority of people who don't give these phones a second thought. Throw an iPhone 4 on Craigslist for a premium, and watch the number of contacts you get. Throw a Bionic or HTC Sensation 4G on there for a discount, and watch how few hits you get. Apple's done a genius job of marketing their phone and infiltrating the minds of the general public. Therefore, I think the evidence about the iPhone making people feel "cool" is much more than anecdotal. Android has caught up, but the iPhone still holds that spot.

As forum users (implying that most of us are more "die hard" into our devices), we tend to analyze this stuff more than the general public, and therefore, not only can we not fathom having our minds infiltrated without first educationing ourselves, we simply don't fall into the same category as the general public with this stuff.

But that's what doesn't make sense. Why couldn't you be getting more hits for the iphone because its a quality device that people like. Why is the immediate assumption "oh he must wanna be cool"? It absolutely is anecdotal.

When android sells its bc its better, when iphone sells its cuz ppl wanna be cool? Where is the logic in that?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah I certainly don't disagree that Apple brings with it a certain "cool" factor. That's just brand recognition working for them but I do not think you build up a cool factor by selling subpar products either. I am not saying Apple is the best or that they invented the wheel but you gain brand loyalty through a whole lot more than marketing.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score

This.

Just being apart of a community like this allows me to stay informed, therefore allowing me to make better decisions. This allows me to prevent marketing from completely controlling my purchasing decisions and it allows me to do so based on my personal needs.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I certainly don't disagree that Apple brings with it a certain "cool" factor. That's just brand recognition working for them but I do not think you build up a cool factor by selling subpar products either. I am not saying Apple is the best or that they invented the wheel but you gain brand loyalty through a whole lot more than marketing.

Exactly. You can't sell four million phones in one weekend on cool factor alone. At some point, if you can't admit that people actually think its a good product then there's something wrong

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think my original point, multiple pages ago, was that people were extremely excited about the 4GS and I honestly didn't think it was worth getting excited over.

If those 4 million people were informed like they could be, they would have known Siri has been around for a very long time and they were basically buying the same phone with a new camera and dual core processor.

I think that's why it originally bothered me so much. It's not that it's a bad device, because it most definitely is not, it's the fact that Apple can release a product that is behind in nearly all current hardware specs and completely WoW their consumer base and sell insane amounts of product while barely lifting a finger.

That to me shows that their marketing and brand recognition plays a far bigger role in their sales than the improvements they've made to their device.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think my original point, multiple pages ago, was that people were extremely excited about the 4GS and I honestly didn't think it was worth getting excited over.

If those 4 million people were informed like they could be, they would have known Siri has been around for a very long time and they were basically buying the same phone with a new camera and dual core processor.

I think that's why it originally bothered me so much. It's not that it's a bad device, because it most definitely is not, it's the fact that Apple can release a product that is behind in nearly all current hardware specs and completely WoW their consumer base and sell insane amounts of product while barely lifting a finger.

That to me shows that their marketing and brand recognition plays a far bigger role in their sales than the improvements they've made to their device.

The phone outperforms all other phones including the sgs2. As proven by benchmarks. You got ppl going crazy over the razr, but iPhone users are just following unsubstantiated hype? Again...the numbers and in this case the benchmarks don't lie

Status
Not open for further replies.