my son got the iPhone 4s this am and siri is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Okay sweet I can talk to my iphone... how about apple works on their data speeds before they work on something that doesnt really matter...

Sure it's pretty cool but a smartphone with bad data speeds is nothing more than a bad smartphone

True on VZW....On AT&T's HSPA+ network, it's getting pretty good speeds, reportedly 7-8mbps. I think outside of video, 3-4 is plenty sufficient (a lot of websites don't actually seem d/l faster than that, anyway). My hope for LTE was a more consistent signal (I can hit 2.2mbps on 3G near a tower on off peak hours, many other places I get less than 1/3 that) and better building penetration. I guess 1 out of 2 isn't bad.

M

Mullensbb

Actually although I can't find the right now, there is already a thread on your talkn about the iphone 4s. Its a link to a tech website comparing data speeds. Basically it compares data speeds of current 4 g devices on all of the networks, the old iphones on all the networks, and the iphone 4s.

Bottom line the iphones are slow in
comparison to other phones nowadays. Even on at&t with their magical 4 g speeds without 4 g... I called bs from day 1.

I think worst of all was at&t's upload speed was basically nonexistent...
If I find the article or the thread again I will post a link on here
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually although I can't find the right now, there is already a thread on your talkn about the iphone 4s. Its a link to a tech website comparing data speeds. Basically it compares data speeds of current 4 g devices on all of the networks, the old iphones on all the networks, and the iphone 4s.

Bottom line the iphones are slow in
comparison to other phones nowadays. Even on at&t with their magical 4 g speeds without 4 g... I called bs from day 1.

I think worst of all was at&t's upload speed was basically nonexistent...
If I find the article or the thread again I will post a link on here

Its not that its magical its that the iphone dont have as much to load. Android is running flash and trying to bring the full web experience and that requires more power and speed to make it happen. Ios is not loading all that extra content which slows it down so they can get more out of their data speeds. You basically have 2 ideas on display ios is going for optimization to gain speed. Android is just throwing more hardware at it.

M

Mullensbb

Dude that makes no sense whatsoever data is data, 1 gigabyte per second is the same on any phone.....

What you're referring to is the iphone seems faster because it doesn't have much to load... but you cant get around the fact that their data speeds are slow so if you want to download something like a torrent or if you wanted to use Wireless tethering your internet sucks.... I'm like my 4 g which is as fast as my home internet.

I'm sorry but data speed is data speed you can't change the variable of comparison in order to suit the iphone.

Basically what you're saying is that if person A runs the half mile in 4 minutes And person B runs the mile in 6 minutes.... Then person A is faster because they're trying to do less and it takes them less time to do it?
Sorry faulty logic and faulty comparison!

The fact of the matter is that person B is still faster....

OP
F

fantom557

Reaction score
BTW i am board with siri on my sons phone and he still docent have the nice widgets like i was playing this morning. i would rather have a top screen and widgets then a phone that tells me i look nice. this reminds me of the woody allan movie sleeper. lets all move over to the mac forums and see what they have to say i bet right now they are saying these new phones are hurting droid sales. They still have 1 model and no 3 carriers just like blackberry did in the good old days and they sold every one on bbm and email now look at them. Did any one that the blackberry outage happened during there shareholders meeting the other day talk about timing.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Dude that makes no sense whatsoever data is data, 1 gigabyte per second is the same on any phone.....

What you're referring to is the iphone seems faster because it doesn't have much to load... but you cant get around the fact that their data speeds are slow so if you want to download something like a torrent or if you wanted to use Wireless tethering your internet sucks.... I'm like my 4 g which is as fast as my home internet.

I'm sorry but data speed is data speed you can't change the variable of comparison in order to suit the iphone.

Basically what you're saying is that if person A runs the half mile in 4 minutes And person B runs the mile in 6 minutes.... Then person A is faster because they're trying to do less and it takes them less time to do it?
Sorry faulty logic and faulty comparison!

The fact of the matter is that person B is still faster....

How does that not make sense. If you have to load up different scripts and flash content it will take longer to load up then if you dont. SO if the iphone do not have to load up all that extra junk then they can afford to not need lte because even on 3g they will still load their content just as fast. If the iphone was on vzw lte its browser would smoke androids with out an issue because it is not loading as much content per webpage.

M

Mullensbb

Fantom I agree with you apple is investing resources and stupid little functions instead of tangible improvements. The only difference I see with them blackberry is that apple unlike blackberry has this cult like following of slaves. They're so stuck on apple it they think that everything apple does is latest and the greatest.

For example the dropdown notification bar which android has had for a while that apple just released on an update whooooo..

They also use smoke and mirrors advertising.... saying that their new phone has this capable speeds of 4 g which it doesn't -there have been tests already. Unfortunately the typical apple slave would believe that information without even researching it...

They will never be convinced that android is a better phone and they will never be convinced that their new products are old on the android...

But hey I guess props to apple for brainwashing them

M

Mullensbb

How does that not make sense. If you have to load up different scripts and flash content it will take longer to load up then if you dont. SO if the iphone do not have to load up all that extra junk then they can afford to not need lte because even on 3g they will still load their content just as fast. If the iphone was on vzw lte its browser would smoke androids with out an issue because it is not loading as much content per webpage.

It doesn't make sense because speed is speed you have to compare the exact same variable you can't change any of them or your not comparing.

You have to compare the exact same web page in the exact same way.... you cant say that apples faster because it loads less stuff quicker, it's not faster.

We are talking about data speeds dude that is what they are advertising is data speeds...

If you were to compare a web page on iphone to the same exact web page on android 4 g... either with flash or without flash for both because that's the only way you can compare... the 1 with the faster data speed is faster.

You can't change a variable in a comparison to suit 1 side or the other it has to be an identical situation...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Fantom I agree with you apple is investing resources and stupid little functions instead of tangible improvements. The only difference I see with them blackberry is that apple unlike blackberry has this cult like following of slaves. They're so stuck on apple it they think that everything apple does is latest and the greatest.

For example the dropdown notification bar which android has had for a while that apple just released on an update whooooo..

They also use smoke and mirrors advertising.... saying that their new phone has this capable speeds of 4 g which it doesn't -there have been tests already. Unfortunately the typical apple slave would believe that information without even researching it...

They will never be convinced that android is a better phone and they will never be convinced that their new products are old on the android...

But hey I guess props to apple for brainwashing them

These statements are so ridiculous. I don't know if people are trying to justify their purchases or some android users are just good ole dumb.

How anyone can believe a corporation can brainwash millions of people is beyond me. The sheer silliness of that suggestion honestly makes those that suggest something so dumb look extremely foolish. People like the iphone. Get over it.

Heywood

Reaction score
My opinion stands that a large majority of Apple consumers are purchasing the products as a status symbol...nothing more

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

This is part of the reason I leave my plug-in settings in the browser to on demand :).

M

Mullensbb

Okay do do you not understand that data speed is based on call bytes per second. How much information can load in a second.... what you're talking about is the iphone be faster because it has the road less data but it's not faster its doing less.

The easiest way to compare data speed is to have identical files downloaded over each network. You're using a website which apple doesn't load the full website to compare with android which does load the full website.

I'm tired of arguing with you but the fact is that you will never be right 2 + 2 will never be 5. Speed is distance or amount overtime...

The question is does the iphone load the exact same amount of data faster? No.

Just because it takes a shortcut doesnt mean it's faster

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Let me put it another way. A 4g iphone will always be faster than a 3g iphone same with 4g android over 3g droid. So yes in theory the 4g phone would in a vacuum be faster. But what apple does well is make the most out of their hardware and they do it better than any other smart phone manufacturer and that is because they take a year to design a build a device. In a vacuum if you had safari on a LTE android device and it did not run scripts and flash it would be the iphone when it come to loading sites. But that is not the case because Android users, like myself, want the full web content and the negative to that is it takes more to load it. So you can either take more time or throw hardware at it (ie a lte radio). What do we use data for; apps, websites, music. If apple is able to optimize their device to where it does not load extra scripts that they feel is not necessary they can cut down on how long it takes to load a site. If it do not take as long to load a site then you can get away with using hspa+ (aka att 3.5g) and it will load as fast as an android browser running the extra stuff. Its like having a sports car racing a Camary in theory the sports car will win every time. Well if you hook a trailer on the back of the sport car it will slow it down allowing the light weight camry to catch up and beat it. You have to look at android as a whole and what users want from it. We nag at apple for not giving users flash and extra stuff so we choose android, well as a result (those with the og droid using flash hack or dolphin browser can attest to this) it took longer to load the page compared to the iphone running on 3g with the same processor. Being android is stuck with the trailer they have to find away to overcome that so they have to add more hardware to try to regain the speed they lost with the trailer. But if the camry minus the trailer was to add the same extra hardware then it would blow it away again.
So my point is that if users was to go into setting and disable flash and scripts (removing the trailer) from the native browser then yes it would blow by the ios safari browser but most people want the full web experience and choose the trailer. Hope that makes more sense.

M

Mullensbb

These statements are so ridiculous. I don't know if people are trying to justify their purchases or some android users are just good ole dumb.

How anyone can believe a corporation can brainwash millions of people is beyond me. The sheer silliness of that suggestion honestly makes those that suggest something so dumb look extremely foolish. People like the iphone. Get over it.

I'm sorry but its people like you who make me wanna pull my hair out.

Yes people do like the apple product. But that doesn't change the fact that apple has made a lot of there consumers to believe that what they are releasing is the latest and greatest when in fact android has beat them to the punch and done it better.

These people believing that the iphone is this untouchable technological phone is the perfect example of them being brainwashed because they cant see truth for all the smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.