Is anyone teying to root Droid 3?

lzy0702

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything useful about it.
It is said that Photon 4G has been rooted.

Last edited:

Fr33dom

Reaction score
The "phaton 4g" is not the D3--rooting one phone does not necessarily lead directly to rooting the next. I'm not sure where you are looking for information concerning rooting the D3, there are threads all over the place. Perhaps you are asking the question with the expectation that root had been achieved and so are looking past all the posts shamelessly begging for root and the threads that say its close. Your expectation is however unfounded and the fact that you have not found a thread on how to root the D3 does indeed mean it hasn't been rooted.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The "phaton 4g" is not the D3--rooting one phone does not necessarily lead directly to rooting the next. I'm not sure where you are looking for information concerning rooting the D3, there are threads all over the place. Perhaps you are asking the question with the expectation that root had been achieved and so are looking past all the posts shamelessly begging for root and the threads that say its close. Your expectation is however unfounded and the fact that you have not found a thread on how to root the D3 does indeed mean it hasn't been rooted.

Come one be a little nicer. Lol...But to answer his question, NO! There are devs like Woody that are hard at work trying to root this bad boy.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

OP
L

lzy0702

Reaction score
I said that because Photon start to sell later than Droid 3, but ...

pyro6128

Reaction score
The photon is a different phone though, so its irrelevant whether or not it has been rooted. But yea, if you head on over to xda there is a large thread going on where they are trying different methods non stop to try and root this bad boy. The problem is there isnt anything to report since all of the methods keep failing, which is why its all kept in a single thread. I can see how it would be easy to miss though

666ogre666

Reaction score
The photon is very similar in hardware so its not too crazy too think one might lead to the other.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

CLShade

Reaction score
^^^^

Except that it kinda is crazy to think that. At least with the way Android is. :shrug: Its one of the most aggravating things about Android for me.

From a ~reasonable~ person's point of view it shouldn't be that hard. If you can root one device you should be able to root another with the same OS. But Android devices are each ~way~ more unique under the hood than is reasonable. As it turns out the D3 was purposefully made very difficult to root. The same hardware delivered to a different carrier might have an unlocked bootloader and, therefore, rooted in short order.

To answer the question: as has been stated already there are people working on rooting it but they are having no luck. Moto has stated that it will release an update that unlocks the bootloader later this year. That would make things MUCH easier... but it isn't certain to happen. If root is a priority for you and the existing hacks don't serve all your needs... you might want to pass on the D3 for now.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are many people working on this.

An SBF (chinese) was released and was not helpful in rooting this either. If you want to read more about it, there is an extensive thread on XDA regarding people trying different things.

Again, this will take time with a locked and signed bootloader. Unless Moto comes around, it could be a while.

javipoo

Reaction score
What's up with the moto-promise of unlocking the bootloader?
They have a good track record of promises, after all, the XOOM did get 4g as promised.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
What's up with the moto-promise of unlocking the bootloader?
They have a good track record of promises, after all, the XOOM did get 4g as promised.

The issue is that is its up to the carriers in the end. And they stated as much in their statement on unlocking bootloaders. "Where carriers permit" or something to that effect was the last line on it.

end of line...

darkmatter

Reaction score
The photon is very similar in hardware so its not too crazy too think one might lead to the other.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Software aside, the hardware between the photon and the D3 are very very different. Actually, I can't think of any one thing that is the same between them. Besides maybe being able to say they're both dual core and made by motorola.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. They both run Motorola Applications Platforms UI (or something like that?), but that's the software.. hardware is quite different.