Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I have played with the XOOM and like it. I haven't played with any ipad, but I would bet that both of them have some advantages over the other. However, even though I would like to have a XOOM as a nice toy, I think that all of the tablets are just glorified smartphones without the phone part. No matter what the processor, single, dual or quad core in the future, they don't have the software to be useful to me. If I am going to carry something that big around, then I want it to be able to run MS Office or OpenOffice and Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or my favorite for the price Zoner Photo Studio. Lugging around something that requires a case as big as a netbook has to have at least the power of a netbook for me to seriously consider it. When something like the XOOM is made to run Win 7 or full Linux if you like then I will consider it. Until then it is just an expensive toy for me. If you are a person who can make use of it for business reasons of who can afford expensive toys then fine, but that is not my case.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have played with the XOOM and like it. I haven't played with any ipad, but I would bet that both of them have some advantages over the other. However, even though I would like to have a XOOM as a nice toy, I think that all of the tablets are just glorified smartphones without the phone part. No matter what the processor, single, dual or quad core in the future, they don't have the software to be useful to me. If I am going to carry something that big around, then I want it to be able to run MS Office or OpenOffice and Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or my favorite for the price Zoner Photo Studio. Lugging around something that requires a case as big as a netbook has to have at least the power of a netbook for me to seriously consider it. When something like the XOOM is made to run Win 7 or full Linux if you like then I will consider it. Until then it is just an expensive toy for me. If you are a person who can make use of it for business reasons of who can afford expensive toys then fine, but that is not my case.

Yep. For you that's probably true but again they are not meant to be competition or a replacement for a laptop.

jgrizz

Reaction score
Why are we discussing this on droidforums.net? We are on this site because we are android/Droid fans correct? Then its an easy preferencial choice between the two.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why are we discussing this on droidforums.net? We are on this site because we are android/Droid fans correct? Then its an easy preferencial choice between the two.

Well, the Xoom uses android OS. We have an area for the Xoom so that's why. What I would like to have seen is not bring a comparison in with the iPad but you have to be honest that's the main competition.

jgrizz

Reaction score
Good point. I feel like the post was initially made to instigate though. A comparison thread is a good idea.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I wasn't surprised that the price stayed the same at all. Apple's smart about pricing, something I can't say for Motorola.
^^^When's the last time you used itunes? When it comes to music it's quite easy. I use a Droid but I still buy my music from itunes. I believe it's the most organized music program out. There's no drm on music bought from itunes so it's easy to put it on anything that you want. The only thing that has drm is the tv shows and movies I believe which is understandable.

Admittedly, I haven't used itunes in a while, but I get to hear my girlfriend ***** about it everytime she plugs in any of her apple devices.
Have they fixed the issue that puts 5 copies of every song onto your harddrive? I don't miss having to spend an hour every now and then deleting copies. My gf one time, plugged her ipod into her moms computer to charge it, it then promptly erased the whole thing. She went to the apple store and made the customer rep cry, lol.

Thevaristy

Reaction score

Yep. For you that's probably true but again they are not meant to be competition or a replacement for a laptop.

I honestly think a good tablet could replace a laptop for most users. With my gtab, I hardly have to break out the old laptop. When I do, it is usually for work type stuff. I can upload pics straight from my camera, and browse flash websites. Laptop is only for heavy lifting.

debdroid1a

Reaction score

I honestly think a good tablet could replace a laptop for most users. With my gtab, I hardly have to break out the old laptop. When I do, it is usually for work type stuff. I can upload pics straight from my camera, and browse flash websites. Laptop is only for heavy lifting.

I said something similar in another thread. I bought a Netbook because I didn't need a big laptop. And now I use my Droid for most everything and bring out my netbook once in a while. Since there are keyboards for these tablets, they can work like a netbook and will probably take the place of them. If I was getting a new home computer today, I would seriously look at tablets, it would be easier to carry around then even my netbook (unless I wanted to carry the keyboard with it).

iPad 2 vs. Motorola Xoom vs. HP TouchPad vs. BlackBerry PlayBook: the tale of the tape

Thevaristy

Reaction score

Well, you're not suppose to share paid apps with anybody in the first place so if you're doing that you're just slowing down the development of the Market. I don't care if I get a movie from iTunes or from Amazon.

I've never tried to watch a video on iTunes so I don't know if you can drag and drop it in there

I got to check out the video thing. It looks to me like you're right, you have to buy from iTunes but I'll let you know.

I am not saying that I share paid apps. I am saying that with Android, I can go to a website like kongregate, and play thousands of games right on my phone or tablet, that I dont have to pay a dime for. Same goes for videos. My understanding is that provided it is in the correct format, you can add any video into itunes.

Let me break down my desktop issue a bit more. Ios to me is a launcher. When you power it on, all you see are apps. Android has a ui, and a launcher. When you power it on, you have a desktop where you can get information without even having to open a single app, its all right there for you. And you have the ability to customize the ui, with themes, and home replacements, and icons et al. I love the fact that I can change the way my phone looks on a daily basis if I choose. Keeps it fresh for me. Ios simply allows me to change the wallpaper on its launcher. A wallpaper that happens to be blocked by a ton of app icons.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I wasn't surprised that the price stayed the same at all. Apple's smart about pricing, something I can't say for Motorola.
^^^When's the last time you used itunes? When it comes to music it's quite easy. I use a Droid but I still buy my music from itunes. I believe it's the most organized music program out. There's no drm on music bought from itunes so it's easy to put it on anything that you want. The only thing that has drm is the tv shows and movies I believe which is understandable.

Admittedly, I haven't used itunes in a while, but I get to hear my girlfriend ***** about it everytime she plugs in any of her apple devices.
Have they fixed the issue that puts 5 copies of every song onto your harddrive? I don't miss having to spend an hour every now and then deleting copies. My gf one time, plugged her ipod into her moms computer to charge it, it then promptly erased the whole thing. She went to the apple store and made the customer rep cry, lol.

They must have because every time I buy something it only downloads one copy of it. I'll admit that in the past I had issues with it, but now I use it for all my music needs. The only time I use Amazon MP3 is if I want to buy something while I'm on the go. I just like how Itunes also organizes your folders for you too. You should give it a second chance. I really hope Google comes out with a music client that works with Android soon. That way I can sync straight to the client instead of organizing with one program and then syncing with another.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Whole-heatedly agree. Motorola, HTC, HP, and RIM are on notice. They need to get the price down for their products to survive. Doesnt matter how much better they may or may not be. If Apple has a product that is few hundred cheaper, no one will buy their tablet.
True...wouldn't matter if the iPad2 had the exact same specs as the iPad1 people would rush out and buy it. If it says Apple they will blindly buy it.. So now the competition is also battling a cheaper price point. They better drop their prices if they want to stay competitive. It's not about having better hardware when it comes to going against Apple. The competition is up against a brand not a superior product.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well, you're not suppose to share paid apps with anybody in the first place so if you're doing that you're just slowing down the development of the Market. I don't care if I get a movie from iTunes or from Amazon.

I've never tried to watch a video on iTunes so I don't know if you can drag and drop it in there

I got to check out the video thing. It looks to me like you're right, you have to buy from iTunes but I'll let you know.

I am not saying that I share paid apps. I am saying that with Android, I can go to a website like kongregate, and play thousands of games right on my phone or tablet, that I dont have to pay a dime for. Same goes for videos. My understanding is that provided it is in the correct format, you can add any video into itunes.

Let me break down my desktop issue a bit more. Ios to me is a launcher. When you power it on, all you see are apps. Android has a ui, and a launcher. When you power it on, you have a desktop where you can get information without even having to open a single app, its all right there for you. And you have the ability to customize the ui, with themes, and home replacements, and icons et al. I love the fact that I can change the way my phone looks on a daily basis if I choose. Keeps it fresh for me. Ios simply allows me to change the wallpaper on its launcher. A wallpaper that happens to be blocked by a ton of app icons.

Yes, you're right. For you that has importance, and now that you mention it I have never even thought of changing the wallpaper. I know you got some choices in the settings but not nearly what you can do with Android.

My D2 has (I think) a smoking appearance. Sometimes I turn it on just to look at the desktop.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

I said something similar in another thread. I bought a Netbook because I didn't need a big laptop. And now I use my Droid for most everything and bring out my netbook once in a while. Since there are keyboards for these tablets, they can work like a netbook and will probably take the place of them. If I was getting a new home computer today, I would seriously look at tablets, it would be easier to carry around then even my netbook (unless I wanted to carry the keyboard with it).

iPad 2 vs. Motorola Xoom vs. HP TouchPad vs. BlackBerry PlayBook: the tale of the tape

I don't know the answer to all of these, but if it is NO to most then a tablet doesn't even come close to being a desktop, laptop or even netbook replacement.

Can you print documents from an Android tablet?
Can you run a reasonably powerful photo or video editing program?
Can you run flt, mov, avi and wmv videos without conversion?
Can I rip CDs to the device?
Can I connect various exercise monitoring equipment (heart rate, BP, etc) to it?
Can I install the exercise monitoring software to it to chart progress?

Again, if the answers are NO to most of these, then is not even close to replacing even my netbook. Perhaps some just use a computer for surfing the web, playing a few games and taking photos and videos and posting them to their facebook page and then a tablet is all they need, but me and most people who I know do much more with their computers.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[
True...wouldn't matter if the iPad2 had the exact same specs as the iPad1 people would rush out and buy it. If it says Apple they will blindly buy it.. So now the competition is also battling a cheaper price point. They better drop their prices if they want to stay competitive. It's not about having better hardware when it comes to going against Apple. The competition is up against a brand not a superior product.

Nonsense CK. If people buy because of the Apple brand it's because of good marketing and producing a quality product. I don't accept that apple sheep theory just like I don't believe that people who have android would only buy…..

On second thought, maybe there is some truth to that.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whole-heatedly agree. Motorola, HTC, HP, and RIM are on notice. They need to get the price down for their products to survive. Doesnt matter how much better they may or may not be. If Apple has a product that is few hundred cheaper, no one will buy their tablet.

Seriously? The fact that it's a good product has nothing to do with it? I never understand statements like yours (and there's so many just like yours on this forum). Its insulting to anyone who owns an apple product.

Status
Not open for further replies.