Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thevaristy

Reaction score
You never answered my question, how much have you used one?

I do not own one. I have spent a fair amount of time playing with a friends. I do admit, I have a bias against apple, and the way they do business, but I just find Ios to be lacking for me. Same reasons I choose Android for phone use is the same reason I choose it for tablet. Apple makes beautiful hardware, I just dont like being pidgeon-holed into the software. Apps are great, but most are way over-rated. Give me raw functionality, give me aesthetics, give me the full power of the internet. And for the love of Pete, dont clutter up my desktop!

Give Verizon a chance, they'll be loading that thing up with bloatware in no time.

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you mean about cluttering up your desk top. Apple doesn't do that.

Also when you say Pigeonholed to the software do you mean like Custom ROM's? I have yet to see a Custom ROM that was as good as the original OS that came with the Droid. I like the IOS. I also like having a Droid and an iPad. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

The desktop thing is a personal peeve of mine. I realize most do not share it. What I mean is, I want a streamlined clean desktop. I dont like many icons all over the place. The ones I do have I like to be able to choose where I put them. Now I am referring to a few things when it comes to software. Mostly..apps, and the way apple uses them. Apple doesnt use flash. Why? I believe because they dont want you playing games or watching videos online for free when they can charge you money for apps that do the very same thing. What they are doing is compartmentalizing the internet into apps that you pay for. Apple also forces me to use itunes (a product that I have to use for my ipod, and I detest) to get media to a from the device. I understand that Androids response to this is less the elegant, but it is quite useful to have the ability to drag and drop files. Have you really not used a ROM that doesnt improve upon the stock Android? Really? If there were no improvements, why would people bother flashing, much less develop. The ability to update phones that are no longer supported cures the fragmentation issue, and allows you to get useful improvements. Heck I read today that the G1 just got Honeycomb!?!?! I have used many custom ROMS, and all have brought something extra to the table without missing any features of stock Android.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Look...the iPad is neat. But the iPad 2 is not going to kill the Xoom. The Xoom can die all by itself due to it's price. But it is defiantely a more functional device.

Nate

I share files between different apps all the time, I'm not sure what you're asking. I have several different PDF authors and readers I use. Same for my written documents. I use Dropbox as my virtual to move my files around and it works great.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Android steps it up soon, but the Xoom will hurt because of this release. I'll bet you that now. Especially since the Xoom released without Flash.

Maybe you can install it, haven't looked at all of that yet. Can it be done without rooting? Wasn't sure.

But alas, y'all have at it. I have a ton of work to do. I swear I have ADD with the forums and keep forgetting I don't get paid for being on them. I tend to be stupid about that. ROFL

Thevaristy

Reaction score
You know, I guess I need to refer back to what I tell people who ask me about ios vs Android. Ios is great....for alot of people. Just not for me. And vice versa. One is NOT better than the other. Just different. In many different ways. They are gonna sell a crap ton of ipad 2's. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the long run with Android's phone dominance and eventual overtaking of apple in terms of number of apps. Pricing will be key. It will be fun to see it all play out.

DJuse

Reaction score
Jum...what's the deal with no flash on these devices? How difficult can it really be? Even a small smart phone have flash!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
You know, I guess I need to refer back to what I tell people who ask me about ios vs Android. Ios is great....for alot of people. Just not for me. And vice versa. One is NOT better than the other. Just different. In many different ways. They are gonna sell a crap ton of ipad 2's. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the long run with Android's phone dominance and eventual overtaking of apple in terms of number of apps. Pricing will be key. It will be fun to see it all play out.

THAT is an excellent summation! :clap:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's exactly right. People have become so loyal (for good or for bad) to these brands that it's hard to keep level headed in the battle for phone and tablet supremacy. The iPad 2 is a tremendous piece of hardware at first glance as is the Xoom. It truly is a matter of personal preference. The thing I have learned in the time I have been here in the forum is that generally you will never change someones opinion on why one thing is better than the other. We are all somewhat stubborn by nature so it's a tough task.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

i agree... it's what YOU prefer... it's your money, get what YOU like :)

and I think you're right on with pricing being the key.... Apple is on top of the hill... if Android wants to take away business (regardless how 'superior' their hardware/product claims to be) they need to match pricing... the cost of the Xoom (IMO) puts it out of contention of truly challenging the iPad.

Am I saying the Xoom won't sell? Heck no... but if you're trying to sway people away from Apple (as Google and partners obviously are) you aren't going to win that battle if you're hundreds of dollars more for your product. You won't get those consumers on the fence.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's exactly right. People have become so loyal (for good or for bad) to these brands that it's hard to keep level headed in the battle for phone and tablet supremacy. The iPad 2 is a tremendous piece of hardware at first glance as is the Xoom. It truly is a matter of personal preference. The thing I have learned in the time I have been here in the forum is that generally you will never change someones opinion on why one thing is better than the other. We are all somewhat stubborn by nature so it's a tough task.

Stubbornness and flat out denial are two different things though. The XOOM is very clearly and obviously not going to be as successful as the iPad2. But like you said, its preference. There's nothing wrong with either one, and both are going to have no problem selling. But let's be real here...haha...the ipad is not going to struggle for sales, because everyone is running out to get a XOOM...:icon_eek:. The XOOM on the other hand is in a little bit of trouble.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am actually very surprised Apple didn't increase the price for the iPad2. I mean it's awesome they didn't because it will set a standard in the Tablet market. I think at this point Moto has to atleast look at the possibility of lowering the price of the Xoom quicker than they would have liked. Don't know if they will but the average consumer will quickly be won over by the iPad2 if they don't, IMO.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[

The desktop thing is a personal peeve of mine. I realize most do not share it. What I mean is, I want a streamlined clean desktop. I dont like many icons all over the place. The ones I do have I like to be able to choose where I put them. Now I am referring to a few things when it comes to software. Mostly..apps, and the way apple uses them. Apple doesnt use flash. Why? I believe because they dont want you playing games or watching videos online for free when they can charge you money for apps that do the very same thing. What they are doing is compartmentalizing the internet into apps that you pay for. Apple also forces me to use itunes (a product that I have to use for my ipod, and I detest) to get media to a from the device. I understand that Androids response to this is less the elegant, but it is quite useful to have the ability to drag and drop files. Have you really not used a ROM that doesnt improve upon the stock Android? Really? If there were no improvements, why would people bother flashing, much less develop. The ability to update phones that are no longer supported cures the fragmentation issue, and allows you to get useful improvements. Heck I read today that the G1 just got Honeycomb!?!?! I have used many custom ROMS, and all have brought something extra to the table without missing any features of stock Android.

Well, you're not suppose to share paid apps with anybody in the first place so if you're doing that you're just slowing down the development of the Market. I don't care if I get a movie from iTunes or from Amazon.

I've never tried to watch a video on iTunes so I don't know if you can drag and drop it in there.

I may have to try this. Not today though.

Custom ROMs do a lot of cool stuff don't get me wrong but from what I see they all seem to have bugs. Lots of them and some pretty serious. I like rooting my D2 and overclocking but I'm not interested in custom ROMs. I have my D2 customized perfectly. For me.

So far the only thing I don't like about the iPad is the fact that you have to use Safari as the default browser. That's a real deal killer in buying another browser. Matter of fact I did buy another browser but because Safari wanted to stick it's nose into everything I wanted to do it made that browser useless to me.

I got to check out the video thing. It looks to me like you're right, you have to buy from iTunes but I'll let you know.

Oh and the desktop thing. You can move the icons wherever you want. You can group them together in a box. You can pick what's on your tray. And you have 3 screens (I think, i know at least 2).

TurboDub

Reaction score
Dual core tablet, lighter, thinner and a LOT cheaper. I think iPad 2 just demolished Xoom sales for the rest of the year

Personal Opinion..... Xoom still crushes any iPad

Hahahahahahahah

Yeah, because it has flash. Wait a second, it doesn't. Well the Android Market and it's 151 pieces of Malware found today makes it better! It's open source!;)

Sent from my Dinc to a satellite back down to where you're seeing it now.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am actually very surprised Apple didn't increase the price for the iPad2. I mean it's awesome they didn't because it will set a standard in the Tablet market. I think at this point Moto has to atleast look at the possibility of lowering the price of the Xoom quicker than they would have liked. Don't know if they will but the average consumer will quickly be won over by the iPad2 if they don't, IMO.

I tried to find the article I read in the Wall Street Journal that goes into that. From what I got out of it most people would pay less for an iPad, even without all the features that Xoom has so it's a marketing strategy.

I'm also happy to see that Steve Jobs did make an appearance in introducing the new iPad. Not bad for a guy who 2 weeks ago had 6 weeks to live.

darkmatter

Reaction score
Until they seperate these things from itunes, I'll never buy one. I love apple devices. If anyone argues that the hardware isn't superior.... take the ipod nano for example, fantastic device and there's nothing like it on the market, too bad you have to use itunes to put music on it.
For me, itunes ruins it all. Putting anything on it is a hassle, and anything you buy (ie, music) is limited in how you use it or where you put it. I much prefer android, where I plug it in, put music where I want music, and then good to go......f**k itunes.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I wasn't surprised that the price stayed the same at all. Apple's smart about pricing, something I can't say for Motorola.
^^^When's the last time you used itunes? When it comes to music it's quite easy. I use a Droid but I still buy my music from itunes. I believe it's the most organized music program out. There's no drm on music bought from itunes so it's easy to put it on anything that you want. The only thing that has drm is the tv shows and movies I believe which is understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.