Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Discussion in 'Motorola Xoom' started by patfactorx, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elysian

Elysian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love my Xoom at 1.5ghz, no way in hell I'd trade it for an iPad 2 and the closed ecosystem that comes with it... Not to mention the interface straight out of 2007. Xoom also still has the better screen and better aspect ratio. 4:3 is lamesauce.

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't know about Android for sure, but you can print on some bluetooth printers with iPad. I imagine you can with Android too.

But you make a valid point. I don't see them replacing laptops, I just see them as a different device.

#62 hookbill, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  3. fishfood

fishfood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the words CK says, but Hook, you nailed the reason... people blindly buy (i.e. TRUST) the Apple name BECAUSE their marketing strategy has successfully made the connection between the word "APPLE" and "QUALITY" and their products back it up. So now, people who know nothing about either Apple OR Android will automatically pick Apple. However... the diligent consumer will end up with an Android product... :p the vast majority of consumers, however, don't necessarily fit into that category, so VOILA! Apple dominates the market by default... Score one for the Apple marketing department.

4. fishfood

fishfood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, this brings up another point... wasn't the unlocked bootloader of the Xoom touted as a HUGE technical "plus...?" Well correct me if I'm wrong (and I may very well be, but don't tell my wife I admitted it...) but isn't the iPad even more locked down than an Android device WITH a locked bootloader?

and THAT is the reason I just sold my iPod touch... I HATE HATE HATE iTunes! The profit helped pay for my new Xoom, and my new "iPod" will be called the Thunderbolt...

#64 fishfood, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  5. Elysian

Elysian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My laptop actually broke the night before the Xoom launched, I've almost completely replaced it with the Xoom alone. The only thing I can't do on my Xoom is my Java homework/labs, so I still use my desktop for that stuff.

6. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    Actually, someone that researches subjects closely will buy what fits them and the purposes the best without brand loyalty. That's why I have an iPad, MacBook Pro, iPod Touch, Dell Desktop, Droid Incredible, iPhone 4 for my wife and a mix of other devices. Marketing strategies have nothing to do with my Apple purchases. Quality and use do.

7. Thevaristy

Thevaristy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1. Yes I can print.
    2. No to photo/video editing, but most users dont either.
    3. No, not right now at least. Soon. Again, I dont think the average user does much video converting.
    4 What is a cd?
    5. Not sure about the exercise stuff.

Most people use laptops to surf the net, and very little else. For this reason, it could make a decent replacement.

8. chained22

chained22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ftw xoom+10000

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

9. Elysian

Elysian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Look up an app called SportTracker, it can interface with BlueTooth exercise devices.

10. cdtdelta

cdtdelta New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think what may end up killing the Xoom in this case is that there is going to be a CDMA/Verizon iPad. No more needing the Mifi device to use it (I'm assuming that at least based on the presentation today).

So think about it, what do you think Verizon marketing is going to focus more on, the iPad or the Xoom?

Here's an example, when I was in the Verizon store the other day (getting my Xoom), I thought one of the sales reps had an iPhone as her phone. So I said jokingly, "So did everyone here get an iPhone?" (meaning did they grab one for themselves when it came out). The comment I got back was that they were not allowed to buy one yet. But the three reps behind the desk all said they would get one. And they all had Android phones.

So I don't think it's going to be a Xoom vs iPad thing, it's going to be a Verizon marketing thing. How much do hey market "Android" versus "iOS"

For me, I wouldn't get the iPad 2, it's really an iPad 1.5, and in some cases what the original iPad SHOULD have been. Otherwise it's a bit of a hardware bump and the cameras, that's really it. But I don't have a need for an iPad device anymore because I've pretty much switched over to Android/Google to manage my stuff. That being said, all my computers at home are Macs.

Just my two cents....keep the change...

11. fishfood

fishfood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course that's completely true, jk. My remark about the "diligent consumer buying only Android" was a bit tongue-in-cheek... the truly discerning consumer gets what fits their needs, whether it be Android, Apple, BB, Mattel, or two cans and a string... but the fact that the UNINFORMED consumer thinks APPLE="best product available" without doing research is a tribute to Apple's marketing, as Hook said.

12. atlharry

atlharry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Price wise, it comes down to what the consumer wants. If they want 32 gb then the prices are about the same. Faster? Is the dual core A5 @ 1ghz faster then the dual core tegra 2 @ 1ghz? Proof?

Screen resolution is worse AND noticeable. Additional cost for HDMI out... I'm not saying the the iPad2 isn't a good offering, but it's certainly not the second coming everyone was expecting.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

Whoa I came in way later on the conversation than I thought... carry on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.