Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elysian

Reaction score
Well that'll be interesting to see if it really measures up to that.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

Yeah, they didn't say 9x performance in what regards, if they're just talking framerate on actual games or triangle throughput or what but rumor is it's a PowerVR 543 gpu which is powerful as hell, to say the least.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[
True...wouldn't matter if the iPad2 had the exact same specs as the iPad1 people would rush out and buy it. If it says Apple they will blindly buy it.. So now the competition is also battling a cheaper price point. They better drop their prices if they want to stay competitive. It's not about having better hardware when it comes to going against Apple. The competition is up against a brand not a superior product.

Nonsense CK. If people buy because of the Apple brand it's because of good marketing and producing a quality product. I don't accept that apple sheep theory just like I don't believe that people who have android would only buy…..

On second thought, maybe there is some truth to that.
It's not nonsense Hook. it's a good thing. They did something brilliant. I'm not knocking them or their consumer base at all. Heck look what they did with the iPad. That was years old technology and they pimped that thing like nobody's business.

I for one think they are the best at marketing. They make a quality product no doubt but so do a lot of the other manufacturers. I'm not knocking them because they are the best at what they do. The iPad proved that to me.......

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
most ppl dont get to use the tablet bef4 they buy it. At least not in any serious way. Because of that, brand matters and that's where big corporations like Apple win.

I think Android can only win if they get more marketing muscle and get a LOT more competitive on tablet pricing. Android won phones cuz of free phones and $100 phones.

ZBoater

Reaction score
I've owned and used an iPad since launch day. I bought a Xoom last night and have been using it nonstop today.

The Xoom hardware is impressive, but the iPad 2 sure sounds sweet. At the end of the day I have a couple hundred apps that I can't replace. Sure, some ate games like Tower Madness, but things like Goodreader, Todo, Gusto, and others I am mising something fierce. When (not if) Android catches up it will be truly a contender, but right now I am seriously considering paying the restocking fee and getting the iPad 2.

But then I remember the lack of access to the file system, no widgets, no customization, and all the reasons I ditched the iPhone for the Droid, and I wonder...

xxraffyxx

Reaction score
Motorola should of made and released a 16gb wifi model and released it first.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
The XOOM is very clearly and obviously not going to be as successful as the iPad2.

I would be curious as to how you can figure this.

Others: Fact is, I've already heard rumors of the Xoom pricing drop mid-summer or so? This was a week or so ago?

With the price breakdown being about the same for the components, do you really think that Apple may not have just undercut Motorola for the sake of improving their potential sales? And do you really expect Motorola to just sit by and let it keep happening? Give it more than 24 hours PRE-launch to pan out before declaring something dead that is by it's design, a LOT more flexible than Apple products.

Newton122189

Reaction score
When it comes to price people really need to stop comparing the 16GB WiFi iPad to the 32GB 3G/4G XOOM the comparable price difference is $70 people NOT $300.

I'd also like to add that Apple simply made the iPad 2 faster and gave it cameras. I'm no rocket scientist but those aren't really magnificent upgrades by any means. Oh and its thinner now too, which really doesn't do anything for portability or ease of use.

If you prefer the iPad over the XOOM then more power to you, but don't act like its some holy device, some gift from God to mankind. Its just another option in the tablet market, one that from a technical specifications standpoint is going to outdated on its release date.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
The XOOM is very clearly and obviously not going to be as successful as the iPad2.

Others: Fact is, I've already heard rumors of the Xoom pricing drop mid-summer or so? This was a week or so ago?

With the price breakdown being about the same for the components, do you really think that Apple may not have just undercut Motorola for the sake of improving their potential sales? And do you really expect Motorola to just sit by and let it keep happening? Give it more than 24 hours PRE-launch to pan out before declaring something dead that is by it's design, a LOT more flexible than Apple products.

I base it on history. No individual android product has ever outsold an ios product. When one does, then I'll be less inclined to make sweeping generalizations like this. The XOOM is going to be vastly outsold by the iPad2, in fact like i mentioned, the iPad2 will probably outsell several different android tablets...combined.

No one cares about flexibility, customization, rooting, overclocking etc. I dont know why people tout this as an android selling point. Android is not as successful as it is because everyone who's buying it can't wait to get home and "root and ROM this thing!!"...it's selling because it's being sold as a viable alternative to ios. When people bring it home, they realize that it is a viable alternative and continue to buy it. Even then, you're not getting multi-millions of people rooting their android phones. The average (90%+) of android users don't even know what rooting is, let alone ROM-ing and overclocking.

Apple is the company to beat (right now) not Google. Everyone strives to be better then the iPhone, or the iPad. No one announces a new phone as the "Droid Incredible killer" or a new tablet as "The XOOM killer". 4 years after it's release, people are still comparing every smartphone that is released to the iPhone.

When history proves me wrong, that's when I'll stop. Right now, history is on my side.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
People here are comparing Apples to Oranges. Are you comparing equivalent products when claiming it is cheaper to get an iPad????? Because if the iPad 2 price is supposed to stay about the same as they claim, the 32 GB 3G version of the iPad 1 runs $729 (BestBuy price). That's not a far cry from the 32GB Xoom 3G @ $799. Then....

Xoom **COMES WITH** HDMI out & USB support for my hard drive. And an SD card slot.
iPad 2: Apple will SELL you an adapter (or camera dock?) if you so choose. Add $30 x s for the camera dock or the USB adapter, and the VGA adapter (to hook to your TV) and the price is only $10 different. Add in an SC Card adapter ($15-20)and it now runs $5-$10 MORE.

Just the cost of having those items built in plus having HDMI vs VGA, makes me a fan of the Xoom - for a difference of only $10 in favor of the Xoom.

Last edited:

Newton122189

Reaction score

I base it on history. No individual android product has ever outsold an ios product. When one does, then I'll be less inclined to make sweeping generalizations like this. The XOOM is going to be vastly outsold by the iPad2, in fact like i mentioned, the iPad2 will probably outsell several different android tablets...combined.

No one cares about flexibility, customization, rooting, overclocking etc. I dont know why people tout this as an android selling point. Android is not as successful as it is because everyone who's buying it can't wait to get home and "root and ROM this thing!!"...it's selling because it's being sold as a viable alternative to ios. When people bring it home, they realize that it is a viable alternative and continue to buy it. Even then, you're not getting multi-millions of people rooting their android phones. The average (90%+) of android users don't even know what rooting is, let alone ROM-ing and overclocking.

Apple is the company to beat (right now) not Google. Everyone strives to be better then the iPhone, or the iPad. No one announces a new phone as the "Droid Incredible killer" or a new tablet as "The XOOM killer". 4 years after it's release, people are still comparing every smartphone that is released to the iPhone.

When history proves me wrong, that's when I'll stop. Right now, history is on my side.

Just because a lot of people are riding the Apple bandwagon doesn't mean its better.

When cocaine was first invented people believed it was a miracle drug, they thought it was a cure for any and all ailments. Everyone used it for everything, but that didn't mean it was ultimately a good thing.

Just because Apple has a stranglehold on the market right now doesn't mean that people wont eventually see the fallacy of their ways. A company like Apple can only operate the way that they do for a certain length of time before people start refusing to have the wool pulled over their eyes.

And just to be fair, I own a MacBook Pro and an iPod touch, but that doesn't mean I cant see that Apple is a parasitic company.

Donnie666

Reaction score
Price is only a killer for poor people. Last I checked not a ton of poor people have iPads. I love the zoom and am definately "ABA" anything but apple. All the ABA people out there will keep the xoom alive. So its 800 dollars... ill skip the bar a few nights this month. I spent the extra 200 just in case I ever want wireless service and I am more happy bout it everyday.

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Just because a lot of people are riding the Apple bandwagon doesn't mean its better.

When cocaine was first invented people believed it was a miracle drug, they thought it was a cure for any and all ailments. Everyone used it for everything, but that didn't mean it was ultimately a good thing.

Just because Apple has a stranglehold on the market right now doesn't mean that people wont eventually see the fallacy of their ways. A company like Apple can only operate the way that they do for a certain length of time before people start refusing to have the wool pulled over their eyes.

And just to be fair, I own a MacBook Pro and an iPod touch, but that doesn't mean I cant see that Apple is a parasitic company.

So you are saying that Android users are not riding a bandwagon? That they're all super geniuses who are somehow smarter than Apple users and are now "stickin' it to the man"? Why are Apple users bandwagoners but Android users arent? Like I said, I have ZERO problem admitting I'm wrong, and when/if it happens I'll gladly admit it. Apple may go belly up for their 'parasitic' ways, sure, but like I said I'm basing my statements on history. And I do not buy into the whole sheep thing. If Apple users are sheep, so are Android users.

The truth is...both sides are using products that work for them. And both sides have great products. You're not smarter because you have an Android phone, or android tablet and you're not a brainwashed cult member because you prefer ios.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Price is only a killer for poor people. Last I checked not a ton of poor people have iPads. I love the zoom and am definately "ABA" anything but apple. All the ABA people out there will keep the xoom alive. So its 800 dollars... ill skip the bar a few nights this month. I spent the extra 200 just in case I ever want wireless service and I am more happy bout it everyday.

Motorola Xoom
Droid Forums app

Donnie

Are you American? If you are, you'll know that we are notorious for spending far above our means haha...being "poor" or "rich" has zero to do with it.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Whole-heatedly agree. Motorola, HTC, HP, and RIM are on notice. They need to get the price down for their products to survive. Doesnt matter how much better they may or may not be. If Apple has a product that is few hundred cheaper, no one will buy their tablet.
True...wouldn't matter if the iPad2 had the exact same specs as the iPad1 people would rush out and buy it. If it says Apple they will blindly buy it.. So now the competition is also battling a cheaper price point. They better drop their prices if they want to stay competitive. It's not about having better hardware when it comes to going against Apple. The competition is up against a brand not a superior product.

Seriously? The fact that it's a good product has nothing to do with it? I never understand statements like yours (and there's so many just like yours on this forum). Its insulting to anyone who owns an apple product.
You don't understand my statement is why. Apple has very strong brand recognition. Why? Because they make a good product and it works. Nothing wrong with people buying "blindly" that's what most of them do. Again nothing wrong with it.

Sent from my Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.