Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have only played with an ipad. Never used a android tab yet but there is a lot to be said about the incredible smoothness of the iOS. Has anyone played with a xoom and an ipad that can compare the difference. I am interested to see how android improved on that with these new tablets.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

Thevaristy

Reaction score
I think aesthetics has alot to do with it. And I would certainly say that widgets are not just aesthetics. With Honeycomb, you have a new interface designed for a tablet.

You never answered my question, how much have you used one?

I do not own one. I have spent a fair amount of time playing with a friends. I do admit, I have a bias against apple, and the way they do business, but I just find Ios to be lacking for me. Same reasons I choose Android for phone use is the same reason I choose it for tablet. Apple makes beautiful hardware, I just dont like being pidgeon-holed into the software. Apps are great, but most are way over-rated. Give me raw functionality, give me aesthetics, give me the full power of the internet. And for the love of Pete, dont clutter up my desktop!

Dan_08

Reaction score
Good think Best buy has 14 day return policy. I love the Xoom but got it because of the Dual Camera's. but since the iPad2 will have them and be cheaper gonna have to spring for that unless Moto drops the price a few hundred.

maslan

Reaction score
Been waiting for wifi only Xoom. Unless they announce one before iPad 2 comes out i may just get the iPad. Crazy how they improved it so much and kept price the same. I love my Droid - wife loves her Incredible - but i wont pay extra for something i'm never gonna use (3g/4g radio in Xoom).

nateccnn

Reaction score
So the iPad2 is better because it has a dual core processor? Does it now have a file system that allows me to drag and drop files onto the device without resorting to iTunes? Can I share files between apps? Let's say I have a PDF file and I want to annotate it through Goodreader...then can I open that same annotated file in PDF Expert and see those annotations?

Can I now add and delete photos and sort them by directories?

Can I now use the photos on the iPad to update my facebook profile?

Can I now chose if I want to install flash?

Do I need to keep going?

All they did was speed up the original iPad. It did not need speed. It needed functionality.

Ofcourse, if you liked the original iPad, great. I mean it is a "Revolutionary" device. But nothing in this change changes the fact that others will chose an android device so they can put a damned file on the pad...and then use it.

Nate

Thevaristy

Reaction score
Good think Best buy has 14 day return policy. I love the Xoom but got it because of the Dual Camera's. but since the iPad2 will have them and be cheaper gonna have to spring for that unless Moto drops the price a few hundred.

Whole-heatedly agree. Motorola, HTC, HP, and RIM are on notice. They need to get the price down for their products to survive. Doesnt matter how much better they may or may not be. If Apple has a product that is few hundred cheaper, no one will buy their tablet.

Last edited:

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I would have to agree with the OP. Unless Moto lowers the price of the Xoom, it's done. I love Android to the point that I'm almost biased against anything else but I know a great product when I see one. I've seen plenty of people use their iPads and it seems like the optimization for tablets is perfectly fine. Moto released one model that wasn't even all the way ready. The iPad will be out in 9 days and Apple has their ducks in a row. They have plenty of different models to choose from at different price points.

Last edited:

nateccnn

Reaction score
I think aesthetics has alot to do with it. And I would certainly say that widgets are not just aesthetics. With Honeycomb, you have a new interface designed for a tablet.

I've got one sitting right here next to my Laptop. What do you need to know about it? Challenge me! Challenge ME!

Nate

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I do not own one. I have spent a fair amount of time playing with a friends. I do admit, I have a bias against apple, and the way they do business, but I just find Ios to be lacking for me. Same reasons I choose Android for phone use is the same reason I choose it for tablet. Apple makes beautiful hardware, I just dont like being pidgeon-holed into the software. Apps are great, but most are way over-rated. Give me raw functionality, give me aesthetics, give me the full power of the internet. And for the love of Pete, dont clutter up my desktop!

Give Verizon a chance, they'll be loading that thing up with bloatware in no time.

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you mean about cluttering up your desk top. Apple doesn't do that.

Also when you say Pigeonholed to the software do you mean like Custom ROM's? I have yet to see a Custom ROM that was as good as the original OS that came with the Droid. I like the IOS. I also like having a Droid and an iPad. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pure Google Device V/S iOS - I'll take the PGD anyday ;)

nateccnn

Reaction score
I have only played with an ipad. Never used a android tab yet but there is a lot to be said about the incredible smoothness of the iOS. Has anyone played with a xoom and an ipad that can compare the difference. I am interested to see how android improved on that with these new tablets.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

I spent about an hour playing with one yesterday. I spent about three months playing with my iPad. I can say that the xoom is a nice device. I have not touched an iPad2 so can't compare to it. My issue with these pads is the price point. If this iPad was not given to me as a gift I would not own one. Not because I can't afford one but because the value is about one third of it's cost. They are not designed to do the things I expect it to do for 700 to 800 bucks. But I can say that the xoom is much closer to my expectations than the iPad is only because I can drag and drop files onto it if I so chose.

BTW...flash 10.1 can be installed on the xoom. It did not come with 10.2 because Adobe is still working on that. Motorola decided to not put 10.1 on it because of the choppiness. But if you decide you want it, you can do it. And that is what I like about Android...I get a choice.

Nate

kptphalkon

Reaction score
It's getting harder and harder to find a pure google device.
Seems like you only find it with first-released models of new tech

I kill threads

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

I've got one sitting right here next to my Laptop. What do you need to know about it? Challenge me! Challenge ME!

Nate

I have one sitting next to my chair. Use it every day. Written the last half of a book on it. Use it for consulting presentations and architecture portfolios. Use it to control my computer at home while I'm out, whole host of other things that work beautifully. ;)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
So the iPad2 is better because it has a dual core processor? Does it now have a file system that allows me to drag and drop files onto the device without resorting to iTunes? Can I share files between apps? Let's say I have a PDF file and I want to annotate it through Goodreader...then can I open that same annotated file in PDF Expert and see those annotations?

Can I now add and delete photos and sort them by directories?

Can I now use the photos on the iPad to update my facebook profile?

Can I now chose if I want to install flash?

Do I need to keep going?

All they did was speed up the original iPad. It did not need speed. It needed functionality.

Ofcourse, if you liked the original iPad, great. I mean it is a "Revolutionary" device. But nothing in this change changes the fact that others will chose an android device so they can put a damned file on the pad...and then use it.

Nate

How's that Flash working out on the Xoom? Oh wait, it isn't yet, now is it. Just a promise of it. And have you looked at iOS 4.3 yet? Changes a rather good bit about it.

nateccnn

Reaction score

Nate

I have one sitting next to my chair. Use it every day. Written the last half of a book on it. Use it for consulting presentations and architecture portfolios. Use it to control my computer at home while I'm out, whole host of other things that work beautifully. ;)

yubut...can you share a single file between two different apps? Can you arrange your photos without using iTunes? (My iTunes won't sync my photos...says the jpg file is not readable on my iPad...yet I can view them through dropbox...LOL)

Look...the iPad is neat. But the iPad 2 is not going to kill the Xoom. The Xoom can die all by itself due to it's price. But it is defiantely a more functional device.

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.