Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNC

Reaction score
I guess noone wants to give credit to Apple for releasing a dual-core product that actually has the os to utilize dual-cores...

Also, someone pointed out the resolution... literally EVERYTIME I say "the iPhone 4 still has the best resolution screen" every fandroid says "resolution doesn't matter, human eyes can't notice the difference"... now that the Xoom has a higher res screen than the iPad2 it becomes "ZOMGS DA ANDROYDS REZ IZ CRZY GOOD! APPLEZ SUXORS!!!"

The iPad2 is the biggest win Apple has had since.... well since their last major release, the iPhone 4. It will not only be the number 1 tablet this year, it will gut Xoom sales with just it's announcement.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I guess noone wants to give credit to Apple for releasing a dual-core product that actually has the os to utilize dual-cores...

Also, someone pointed out the resolution... literally EVERYTIME I say "the iPhone 4 still has the best resolution screen" every fandroid says "resolution doesn't matter, human eyes can't notice the difference"... now that the Xoom has a higher res screen than the iPad2 it becomes "ZOMGS DA ANDROYDS REZ IZ CRZY GOOD! APPLEZ SUXORS!!!"

The iPad2 is the biggest win Apple has had since.... well since their last major release, the iPhone 4. It will not only be the number 1 tablet this year, it will gut Xoom sales with just it's announcement.

The sales numbers wont lie, and they never have. We already know courtesy of Dan Mead, that the vPhone had the most successful phone launch in history, and it's pretty obvious (to everyone but fandroids) that the iPad2 is going to outsell every other android tablet probably combined.

I do agree that it's funny that suddenly the resolution is being bought up as a selling point, when just weeks ago retina display and resolution were just "marketing ploys, and no one can notice the difference..."

There's nothing wrong with loving android (i do) but downplaying apple's contributions are silly. And silliness runs amok here...

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right, I guess no one remembers how iFans downplayed resolution on other phones before the iPhone 4...

A few Win Mo and Android phones had higher res than iPhones before the iPhone 4.

So please...

And about outselling, yea it will. Every iDevice sold has out sold since its been released. Guess what? Android must be doing something right compared to other mobile OS's cuz ppl are still getting Android phones.

iDevices selling like mad hasnt killed Android's growth.

Last edited:

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I pad will always fail do to the retarded market, all the apps worth having cost money, and all the free ones are crap. I have owned an I pad, and the way apple operates with the hand picked apps, helps and hurts users, helps because they are more stable with there devices, hurts because all the good ones are censored.
How many good map apps are for I pad 1 or 2 and they are not free, free ones suck. I have tried them, music and movies is OK. But prodctivity and is pathetic, And certainly not free.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

Spell check, it's your friend. :D

The Macs and Apple usually uses outdated components and processors?!? Just...wow. Some of y'all are truly amazing.

It's funny isn't it? It's like they drink the cool aid and believe every word..

Tell me about it. But we're the blind fanboys. Right.

lol....ok Hook....you have found my weakness....what is your debate? I wasn't lying....our prices have been and most likely always will be twice as high if you have a MAC.

I don't know why.....I HATE talking MAC vs PC....but I simply can't avoid it....even if I say I am going to avoid it I still engage. It's horrible.

Try harder.

Last edited by a moderator:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right, I guess no one remembers how iFans downplayed resolution on other phones before the iPhone 4...

A few Win Mo and Android phones had higher res than iPhones before the iPhone 4.

So please...

I can't speak for UNC, but my point was that it's silly to tout a feature for one, and downplay the same feature for the other. It doesn't matter if you can notice a difference or not. If iFans did that, they're just as silly as the fandroids who do it.

We have people screaming "dual cores!!!!" on the 4g phones but now that Apple has a dual core, not one mention about the processor is given by a fandroid. Rather we're focusing on the XOOM's resolution, the same thing that people were saying doesn't matter as far as iPhone vs Droid phones.

I like having fair discussions, not ones where you pick and choose what makes your phone "better" than the other.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

So please...

And about outselling, yea it will. Every iDevice sold has out sold since its been released. Guess what? Android must be doing something right. compared to other mobile OS's cuz ppl are still getting Android phones.

Is it possible to make a remark about the devices themselves and not derogatory remarks about the users? This is getting very annoying with all of the posts.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Dual core tablet, lighter, thinner and a LOT cheaper. I think iPad 2 just demolished Xoom sales for the rest of the year

Wow, really? It's $499 for a wi-fi only 16 GB iPad2 the Xoom is $599 on contract. If you get the 16GB 3G model + HDMI dongle which the Xoom has built in the cost of the iPad2 is $629 + $39 for the HDMI dongle which comes out to $668. So um... no.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

The sales numbers wont lie, and they never have. We already know courtesy of Dan Mead, that the vPhone had the most successful phone launch in history, and it's pretty obvious (to everyone but fandroids) that the iPad2 is going to outsell every other android tablet probably combined.

I do agree that it's funny that suddenly the resolution is being bought up as a selling point, when just weeks ago retina display and resolution were just "marketing ploys, and no one can notice the difference..."

There's nothing wrong with loving android (i do) but downplaying apple's contributions are silly. And silliness runs amok here...

So please...

And about outselling, yea it will. Every iDevice sold has out sold since its been released. Guess what? Android must be doing something right. compared to other mobile OS's cuz ppl are still getting Android phones.

Is it possible to make a remark about the devices themselves and not derogatory remarks about the users? This is getting very annoying with all of the posts.

And others saying fandroid is fine? Alrighty then...

Here is a lil hint: an iFan is not the same as an iPhone, iPad user.

There is a difference.

Same for Android user and fandroid....

And in my book, an iFan and fandroid is the LEAST derogatory thing one can use to describe ppl that are fanatics for each side... really its the most correct terms. A fan of each product.

Last edited:

Big Lou

Reaction score
After owning an iPad and playing with a Xoom at the Verizon Store, I can honestly say the first-gen iPad is better. Adding the improvements on the iPad 2 makes it the clear winner in my book.

Big Lou

Reaction score
Dual core tablet, lighter, thinner and a LOT cheaper. I think iPad 2 just demolished Xoom sales for the rest of the year

Wow, really? It's $499 for a wi-fi only 16 GB iPad2 the Xoom is $599 on contract. If you get the 16GB 3G model + HDMI dongle which the Xoom has built in the cost of the iPad2 is $629 + $39 for the HDMI dongle which comes out to $668. So um... no.
Do you have any idea how much that "on contract" is going to cost you? I'd much rather buy a $500 iPad2 without the contract and have the option of buying accessories.

bplewis24

Reaction score
After owning an iPad and playing with a Xoom at the Verizon Store, I can honestly say the first-gen iPad is better. Adding the improvements on the iPad 2 makes it the clear winner in my book.

Are you serious? It's not even close between the iPad1 and Xoom:

Simply put: the Xoom puts the iPad to shame. The combination of an ultra fast javascript engine with a pair of 1GHz Cortex A9s makes the Xoom feel less like a tablet and more like a PC when browsing the web. Particularly over WiFi the web browsing experience is just awesome. It’s like using a netbook, which in this case isn’t meant as a knock but rather a compliment.

It’s not all about performance though, functionally the Honeycomb Browser is a huge improvement over anything else out there: it supports tabbed browsing. I can’t stress how much better this makes browsing on a tablet.

Honeycomb feels a lot like Google’s take on iOS without sacrificing any of what makes Android unique. It’s a healthy combination of the appliance-like iOS without giving up any of the user facing customization & flexibility that Android users love.

Am I more likely to use the Xoom than the iPad? Yes. The hardware is faster but more importantly, the software is better suited for multitasking. I’m a bigger fan of Honeycomb’s multitasking UI & notification system compared to the double-tap-home and passive notifications you get with the iPad and iOS. I can be more productive with the Xoom than I can be with the iPad as a result. I don’t believe Honeycomb’s UI is perfect by any means, it’s just more multitasking oriented than iOS is at this point.

s far as the Xoom itself is concerned, I like the hardware. It feels good, I’m less worried about it slipping out of my hands and onto concrete and it’s full featured. Battery life is clearly competitive with the iPad as well, which is impressive given how much faster the thing is by comparison.

This conclusion is obviously unfair to Apple given the rumored impending release of the iPad 2, but if I had to buy a tablet today it’d probably be the Xoom.

Motorola Xoom Review: The First Honeycomb Tablet Arrives - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Considering that the iPad2 only addressed the Javascript deficiency of those comparisons, I'd say a lot of that review is still relevant. And if you think the original iPad is better than the Xoom after reading that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
I dont think you need the iPad 2 to kill the Xoom. The $350 iPad 1 that is right now available from Apple by itself is enough to kill it.

Being a huge android fan, after playing with the Xoom I found that it doesnt do the tasks I use a tablet for any better than iPad 1 (web browser, netflix, e-reader, calendar).

Seriously? Another person who claims to have played with the Xoom and still says it doesn't do anything better than iPad, while a thorough review (WITH benchmarks) clearly shows that it does do them a LOT better? Are people really trying these devices or just saying they are?

Brandon

Darkseider

Reaction score

Do you have any idea how much that "on contract" is going to cost you? I'd much rather buy a $500 iPad2 without the contract and have the option of buying accessories.

Which is why there is a WI-Fi only Xoom coming out. Not to mention that by default the Xoom is 32 Gig vs. 16 and expandable to 64 Gig using MicroSD. The 64 Gig iPad2 is $829.

knighthonor

Reaction score

Some reason this reminds me of the early 360 vs PS3 arguments in regard to the price vs built in features.
But in the end there, Microsoft still came out on top due to fooling consumers with the lower price tag, even if it lacked the built in features

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Status
Not open for further replies.