Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

accellpo

Reaction score
The most accurate review of Honeycomb that I've seen yet! This guy gets it!

[video=youtube;0YJuNVU4rgs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJuNVU4rgs&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - Xoom Tablet Day One Followup and Honeycomb Overview[/video]

Newton122189

Reaction score
I heard it was so they would get the christmas sales, but who knows

iPad 3 to Arrive This September? - Mac Rumors

its all just speculation

Personally I wouldn't be surprised at all. The iPad 2 is already behind as far as specs are concerned. If they wait a whole year its going to be WAY behind when it comes time for the holidays.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I played with the xoom at bb and its a nice device. The guy on the news who said the xoom had lag must have not really used it. The dual core tegra 2 makes it fly and the xoom is a nice device. Motorola just can not market like apple and the fact they turned a lot of their loyal customers away by locking their phones did not help. They need to drop the price 75 bucks to compete with the ipad 2 and get back their loyal fans.

zenit

Reaction score
I dont think you need the iPad 2 to kill the Xoom. The $350 iPad 1 that is right now available from Apple by itself is enough to kill it.

Being a huge android fan, after playing with the Xoom I found that it doesnt do the tasks I use a tablet for any better than iPad 1 (web browser, netflix, e-reader, calendar).

droidkevlar

Reaction score
First off I gotta say, I got my first ever Mac (MacBook Pro 15" w/ Core i7) about 6 months ago and I love it to death. I'll never own another Windows machine because I love the operating system and the hardware, but I do dual boot Windows 7 just because sometimes its necessary.

I just feel like Apple doesn't appreciate competition. They would much prefer that everyone did things their way and everything go according to their plan.

I thought the Mac's finally came out with a Core i7 this past month? Mac usually uses out dated processors, like they just did again as the Sandy Bridges are a totally different beast and about the same price.

And I agree 100% with you on the last part.

But apple does own the tablet market. As much as I hate to say that, I love android for life, but Apple did this right. First gen as well.

Newton122189

Reaction score
First off I gotta say, I got my first ever Mac (MacBook Pro 15" w/ Core i7) about 6 months ago and I love it to death. I'll never own another Windows machine because I love the operating system and the hardware, but I do dual boot Windows 7 just because sometimes its necessary.

I just feel like Apple doesn't appreciate competition. They would much prefer that everyone did things their way and everything go according to their plan.

I thought the Mac's finally came out with a Core i7 this past month? Mac usually uses out dated processors, like they just did again as the Sandy Bridges are a totally different beast and about the same price.

And I agree 100% with you on the last part.

But apple does own the tablet market. As much as I hate to say that, I love android for life, but Apple did this right. First gen as well.

Only the top of the line 15" had the Core i7

And I dont feel like apple did the tablet right at all. Just because it holds the market-share doesn't mean they did it right. When I think of a tablet I think of something that falls right below a laptop in functionality and should be extremely close to the functionality of a netbook.

I've had a lot of hands on with the iPad (my sister has one) and I never really felt like it was able to do the things I wanted it to do. The XOOM on the other hand is much closer to the capability of my laptop. The way I look at it the iPad is a bigger and faster version of a mobile device and the XOOM is closer to a normal computer as far as functionality is concerned.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for ice cream and see some of those features on the next gen of smart phones...stuff like the live widgets. I think when you see what Honeycomb is all about you're going to want a dual core LTE phone like the Bionic (although the ram might not be quite enough).

Dsclark

Reaction score
I pad will always fail do to the retarded market, all the apps worth having cost money, and all the free ones are crap. I have owned an I pad, and the way apple operates with the hand picked apps, helps and hurts users, helps because they are more stable with there devices, hurts because all the good ones are censored.
How many good map apps are for I pad 1 or 2 and they are not free, free ones suck. I have tried them, music and movies is OK. But prodctivity and is pathetic, And certainly not free.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Macs and Apple usually uses outdated components and processors?!? Just...wow. Some of y'all are truly amazing.

It's funny isn't it? It's like they drink the cool aid and believe every word..

kennyc

Reaction score
Dual core tablet, lighter, thinner and a LOT cheaper. I think iPad 2 just demolished Xoom sales for the rest of the year

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Yeah right. Apple's business model is doomed.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing a lot of people mentioning the google market and how it's not as expensive. Have you all not seen the prices of all apps starting to gradually climb? Also have you not been reading of the horrible malware and other crap that can steal all your info? Trust me the Market is heading right towards a very similar path to the iOS, whether we like it or not, meaning they will be forced to hold the same security standards as Apple. It's not that the iOS has so many more better apps, I don't necessarily believe that but the overall quality of the entire lot is much better. Google may have many hundreds of thousands of apps or whatever it is but a good majority of those aren't worth a glance. I mean thankfully all the top of the line apps we would want can be found on both the app store and market. But it's when you start getting to the mid level apps is where the playing field becomes very uneven, IMO. But I also understand it has to be much more difficult to develop for Android due to all the different phones, all the different versions of Android and having all the different UI's from manufacturers. I personally am all for a more secure Market even if it means I have to shell out a few more dollars for my apps. Again that is just my two cents.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing a lot of people mentioning the google market and how it's not as expensive. Have you all not seen the prices of all apps starting to gradually climb? Also have you not been reading of the horrible malware and other crap that can steal all your info? Trust me the Market is heading right towards a very similar path to the iOS, whether we like it or not, meaning they will be forced to hold the same security standards as Apple. It's not that the iOS has so many more better apps, I don't necessarily believe that but the overall quality of the entire lot is much better. Google may have many hundreds of thousands of apps or whatever it is but a good majority of those aren't worth a glance. I mean thankfully all the top of the line apps we would want can be found on both the app store and market. But it's when you start getting to the mid level apps is where the playing field becomes very uneven, IMO. But I also understand it has to be much more difficult to develop for Android due to all the different phones, all the different versions of Android and having all the different UI's from manufacturers. I personally am all for a more secure Market even if it means I have to shell out a few more dollars for my apps. Again that is just my two cents.

I believe you will see a more secure Market once Amazon takes it over.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dual core tablet, lighter, thinner and a LOT cheaper. I think iPad 2 just demolished Xoom sales for the rest of the year

and best of all....there is almost no other difference between this "new" ipad and the "old" one.....what an insult to "new" or upgraded. Aren't v2's supposed to be way better than v1's?

Here's a quote for ya....

"The hardware of the iPad 2 is hardly a game-changer. They didn’t upgrade their display from the first generation iPad (which always looked a little bit pixelated to me), though they did make it thinner and lighter. They added a front facing camera, a faster, dual-core processor, and the expected dose of cool buzz-words and trash talking of competitors"

Meanwhile Android tablets have better hardware specs, faster response time, WIDGETS, Flash, options for customization....should I continue?

On a side note.....the ipad one price is now under $500.....I think it's $399 now.

As far as the whole Apple and MAC discussion. I will refrain from engaging. I am a PC and I will leave it at that. I don't believe it getting raped by my manufacturer when I need support. I know my customers enjoy the much cheaper rates they receive when obtaining support for their PC's.....but I do like the inflated rate I can charge those poor MAC souls....and to think I am still cheaper than your MAC store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.