Ipad 2 just killed the Xoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Macs and Apple usually uses outdated components and processors?!? Just...wow. Some of y'all are truly amazing.

not true. Macs have the most advanced processors

That's why he said "some of ya'll are truly amazing". He was referring to the person who said Macs use outdated products. Classic case of people bashing Apple and iDevices without having any idea whatsoever, and never even using them.

knighthonor

Reaction score
:popcorn: this has been a interesting thread. I blew a few boring hours at work, reading these 17 pages. What makes threads like this important, is that it gives new comers a idea of which to buy between the two

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

regkilla

Reaction score
The Macs and Apple usually uses outdated components and processors?!? Just...wow. Some of y'all are truly amazing.

not true. Macs have the most advanced processors

That's why he said "some of ya'll are truly amazing". He was referring to the person who said Macs use outdated products. Classic case of people bashing Apple and iDevices without having any idea whatsoever, and never even using them.

I knew that. I was referring to those people too.

bplewis24

Reaction score
I guess noone wants to give credit to Apple for releasing a dual-core product that actually has the os to utilize dual-cores...

They deserve credit for responding to their competition, but that was fully expected. From a technical standpoint, though, NO it is not as deserving of credit as a Honeycomb tablet of the same architecture because the OS can NOT utilize the dual-cores as effectively. Unless they buried the information somewhere, there has been no discussion of improved multi-tasking in iOS 4.3. Do you have any info saying otherwise? All other things being equal, a more multi-tasking oriented OS is going to make more use of a more multi-tasking oriented architecture.

Also, someone pointed out the resolution... literally EVERYTIME I say "the iPhone 4 still has the best resolution screen" every fandroid says "resolution doesn't matter, human eyes can't notice the difference"... now that the Xoom has a higher res screen than the iPad2 it becomes "ZOMGS DA ANDROYDS REZ IZ CRZY GOOD! APPLEZ SUXORS!!!"

The smaller the screen size the lower the resolution impacts it's real-world benefit. Of course the iPhone4's resolution is a high mark for the phone, however having a slightly higher resolution on a 3.7" phone is trumped by having a lower resolution on a 10" screen. And as the screen sizes get higher the impact goes further. Anybody who considers themselves a computer enthusiast should know that.

I understand a lot of Apple fans reside here that want to defend them against biased Android followers, but people need to be objective on both sides. Using positive spin for Apple is no better than the other side, and if people want to show blind Apple faith like the rest of the sheep, they shouldn't expect it to go unnoticed.

Simple facts are that the Honeycomb OS is still superior on a tablet than iOS4.3 as noted in most objective reviews, AND a tablet like the Xoom still has superior hardware specs. The other pretty simple truth is that the iPad2 will outsell the Xoom regardless, because to an Apple fan it won't matter which is better.

Brandon

Last edited:

QuteMobile

Reaction score
I believe there are several differences

Xoom over iPAD2
- HD Display
- Upgradeable to LTE
- 2MP web cam vs VGA
- Widgets
- Provision for Ext Memory likely be updated to use
- 1GB ram vs. 256

Not sure how the iPAD2 blows away Xoom other than you just like apple phone ui or something.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is weird, I just saw this moron kid on campus I had a class with last year.

Everyday of the term he would come in with nothing but an ipad hooked up with headphones....Turbo douche. That's it, no pencil or paper, nothing. So obviously he wasn't getting much work done.

Anyways I always had to let him borrow a pen & paper & I saw him in the library using the PC's as usual with nothing but a... xoom? I asked him why he switched & he said he just wanted the best thing out; which I suppose he believes also the newest. He also said he already preordered the ipad2 so go figure. I assume that's how most people are. Let me mess with the xoom for a bit. It was... to me....another overpriced tablet.

He failed that class by the way.

Big Lou

Reaction score
Are you serious? It's not even close between the iPad1 and Xoom:

Considering that the iPad2 only addressed the Javascript deficiency of those comparisons, I'd say a lot of that review is still relevant. And if you think the original iPad is better than the Xoom after reading that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Brandon
Reviews are great and all, and sure, specs are usually important. When it comes down to it, if the thing works well, it works well. The Xoom is laggy and unoptimized. It may have all the fancy new gadgets and highest specs, but it doesn't make up for a poor user experience. Why are you so defensive? I simply stated an opinion based on comparing the two devices first hand. You act as if I slapped your mother.

Some reason this reminds me of the early 360 vs PS3 arguments in regard to the price vs built in features.
But in the end there, Microsoft still came out on top due to fooling consumers with the lower price tag, even if it lacked the built in features

I don't quite understand what you mean by this. I assume you are a fan of the PS3 and not so much for the 360. The fact of the matter is that the overwhelming majority of the market is not "tricked;" they buy based on personal value. The PS3 offered great hardware and unmatched power, but at the end of the day it was a poor value for most consumers. I feel the same will be true with the iPad2/Xoom.

B

bthomp21

I will not even attempt to buy a xoom until the price drops below 400. You can argue all you want that has some specs that are "better" but in reality, motorola just wanted to hop in on the tablet market and make money. the xoom is laggy and overpriced. instead of all these companies just hopping in to make a profit, use apples philosophy and develop a solid product that you dont have to replace every 6-12 months.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will not even attempt to buy a xoom until the price drops below 400. You can argue all you want that has some specs that are "better" but in reality, motorola just wanted to hop in on the tablet market and make money. the xoom is laggy and overpriced. instead of all these companies just hopping in to make a profit, use apples philosophy and develop a solid product that you dont have to replace every 6-12 months.

precisely. specs mean nothing in real world use (as far as tablets are concerned). and benchmarks mean even less. if the software is not optimized for the hardware you get a XOOM.

shh

Reaction score

precisely. specs mean nothing in real world use (as far as tablets are concerned). and benchmarks mean even less. if the software is not optimized for the hardware you get a XOOM.

I think one should approach this whole question as Apple in comparison to Android Honeycomb. If you look at it from that perspective you have one Apple product, with variants, versus more than a handful of current and emerging tablets. You are going to eventually see the same thing with Apple tablets being outsold by Android tablets just like what has happened with smartphones.

Big Lou

Reaction score
I think one should approach this whole question as Apple in comparison to Android Honeycomb. If you look at it from that perspective you have one Apple product, with variants, versus more than a handful of current and emerging tablets. You are going to eventually see the same thing with Apple tablets being outsold by Android tablets just like what has happened with smartphones.
True. Considering the first Android smartphone (G1) compared to the first generation iPhone, there was no contest; the iPhone was the better product. Now the lines have blurred thanks to the recent advancements of Android OS and handset hardware.

I assume this will be true with Android Tablets, but for now they are all sub-par.

xier

Reaction score
If moto wants to sell more than a few thousand xooms I expect we will see a commensurate price drop shortly after the 10th. At a lower price I am willing and able to overlook some of the first gen issues.

mrksbrd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
mrksbrd
Just an observation, but why are all the Ipad lovers in a Android forum ?

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

Status
Not open for further replies.