Insurance on Droid X

Rocko

Reaction score
From a pure financial standpoint, insurance on something like a mobile device/laptop is a waste of money. If you don't have the $ saved to replace it if it is lost or stolen, you can't afford to have it in the first place.

Well if they can't afford it in the first place, what are they doing here posting questions about their phone? :r_c:

MrKleen

Reaction score
Just get the insurance for the first year just in case. After that you will be getting a new phone soon anyway.

Rocko

Reaction score
Note: your replacement phone through Asurion will be a REFURBISHED phone.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

That has not been my experience with 3 replacement devices that I have gotten for the kids

Rocko

Reaction score

That has not been my experience with 3 replacement devices that I have gotten for the kids

Then you have gotten lucky. If they have refurbs that's what they will send.

Also, Square Trade will not cover lost or stolen phones-only damaged/broken.

nan2825

Reaction score
From a pure financial standpoint, insurance on something like a mobile device/laptop is a waste of money. If you don't have the $ saved to replace it if it is lost or stolen, you can't afford to have it in the first place. Everyone should have an emergency fund in place before you buy big dollar toys like a smart phone, laptop, etc.

Same goes for any appliance or electronics warranty.

The only insurance you must carry is for your vehicle, house, medical, long term disability and term life insurance :D

My emergency fund is for just that. I for one do not consider replacing my phone an emergency. That's why I choose to have insurance on it do my emergency fund can be used for rent, food, etc. Should I ever need it. Why are some people so judgemental when the OP just asks for advice? Pretty sure a smackdown wasn't requested IMHO.
Sent from my DROIDX

carguy

Reaction score
From a pure financial standpoint, insurance on something like a mobile device/laptop is a waste of money. If you don't have the $ saved to replace it if it is lost or stolen, you can't afford to have it in the first place.

Well if they can't afford it in the first place, what are they doing here posting questions about their phone? :r_c:
People buy things they can't really afford all the time ;)

From a pure financial standpoint, insurance on something like a mobile device/laptop is a waste of money. If you don't have the $ saved to replace it if it is lost or stolen, you can't afford to have it in the first place. Everyone should have an emergency fund in place before you buy big dollar toys like a smart phone, laptop, etc.

Same goes for any appliance or electronics warranty.

The only insurance you must carry is for your vehicle, house, medical, long term disability and term life insurance :D

My emergency fund is for just that. I for one do not consider replacing my phone an emergency. That's why I choose to have insurance on it do my emergency fund can be used for rent, food, etc. Should I ever need it. Why are some people so judgemental when the OP just asks for advice? Pretty sure a smackdown wasn't requested IMHO.
Sent from my DROIDX
In his original post he included this statement 'I feel like in my gut it's a rip off, but if anything happened to my DX I know I wouldn't shell out $500-600 for another one.'

I'm the last person to be judgemental, It was part of the discussion...

Rocko

Reaction score

Yeah, Homes, cars, boats, businesses. Less than 0.1% have enough cash to replace those items. Are you saying you wouldn't keep insurance on them?

carguy

Reaction score

Yeah, Homes, cars, boats, businesses. Less than 0.1% have enough cash to replace those items. Are you saying you wouldn't keep insurance on them?
You obviously didn't read all of my post. Of course you insure your home, car, truck, boat, business, life, medical etc. Less expensive items like appliances, TV, phones, etc should not be. It isn't an uncommon line of thought for many :D

Rocko

Reaction score

You obviously didn't read all of my post. Of course you insure your home, car, truck, boat, business, life, medical etc. Less expensive items like appliances, TV, phones, etc should not be. It isn't an uncommon line of thought for many :D

Right, well a waste of money for you that has $500-$700 reserve, other will never or at least for a long time have that lying around, a good idea. To each his own. If you go your whole life and never use your phone insurance it's a waste, for the guy who loses, drops in toilet, abuses his phone, it's a good deal-but the same is true for all insurance.

erict

Reaction score
I have it. If it gives you piece of mind, then get it. Or roll the dice.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
Are the prices set unrealistically high why not pay 350 end contract get a new contract and discount phone

Cabazon Ca. Droid X

R

RETG

Your TV, appliances, etc., are probably insured under your homeowners policy; mine are. (Not extended warranties, but in case of accident, theft, fire, etc.) I carry replacement insurance on the phone since my phone is on my belt, and even though it is in a protective Seidio case, it is still subjected to an environment most will never see. On average, I replace the case at least once a year from it banging against a double Kydex mag holder.:)

One minute I could be standing around or sitting in a vehicle, and the next minute rolling on the ground trying to restrain someone. So, yes, in my case I find the replacement insurance worth the price. And, I can afford to replace the phone if I wanted too. But then again, I could self-insure my vehicle (replacement, not liability), but I don't.

I actually expect to replace at least one phone per year. If I don't I have spent approximately $72.00 to cover the insurance for that just in case happening.

So, what is right for one, is not necessarily right for another.

hanzie

Reaction score
i have the 6.99 assuion plan through verizon. not a big deal to me really, if you cannot afford an additional 6 bucks a month you have bigger problems to worry about then your droid getting ruined.

carguy

Reaction score

One minute I could be standing around or sitting in a vehicle, and the next minute rolling on the ground trying to restrain someone. So, yes, in my case I find the replacement insurance worth the price. And, I can afford to replace the phone if I wanted too. But then again, I could self-insure my vehicle (replacement, not liability), but I don't.

I actually expect to replace at least one phone per year. If I don't I have spent approximately $72.00 to cover the insurance for that just in case happening.

So, what is right for one, is not necessarily right for another.

I agree completely, there are other factors (such as situation), as I've stated above :D

How has the Seidio case held up for you?