Upgrade to Droid X Question

cece5702

Reaction score
If its not time for me to upgrade but can I buy a Droid X from like Amazon or Walmart and take to Verizon for them to activate it? I want the Droid X like now but don't want to pay $500 or $600 for it? My upgrade isn't until August

Sent from my Droid

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
You can buy it full retail for 500 or 600 but you're not getting it for less than that if you're not eligible for upgrade.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
If its not time for me to upgrade but can I buy a Droid X from like Amazon or Walmart and take to Verizon for them to activate it? I want the Droid X like now but don't want to pay $500 or $600 for it? My upgrade isn't until August

Sent from my Droid

Don't know if you'll find it much cheaper on amazon or Walmart but try eBay... always some good deals on used ones. But to answer your question, for a new phone, yes you can bring it in or go online and get it set up. For a used one, you usually can, and if you get it from one of the bigger sellers on eBay, they'll tell you if it will (has to have a clean ESN, meaning that the phone has been removed from the previous owners account)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Beka27

Reaction score
As the others said, you can only get the subsidized price when starting a new contact or upgrading an existing one. If you purchase a used phone (craigslist or ebay) for now, that will not affect your August upgrade. At that time, you may want to consider a one year contract.

(from Beka's DX)

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
Back on with Early Upgrade/DROID X

Ok today, I called and spoke with tech support and was told that on April 28th I will be able to go in Verizon store and do one final early upgrade. Its not showing in there computer system yet but will be on April 28th. She noted it in there computer system. I will have to hold on to the Droid X for 20 months though. Hmmm.... Do I really want to do that? I hear such good things about the X so I would most likely be satisfied with it for 20 months. So it looks like i will be able to get my DROID X next month after all. Woo Hoo.........!!!!:):):):):)

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 5
Twitter
@healthymommy13
i am totally happy with the X and i love my technology. I switch phones like every 6 months LOL So far I have not had the urge to change :)

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
I've only had my X for 3 months... as of right now, I don't see any of the new phones coming out this year being enough of an upgrade to give up the X for. JMHO but although there are some nice phones coming out, I don't see them being a huge upgrade from the X. Plus, the X has huge dev support and it'll take me 2 years to go through all the stuff available for it, such as ROMs and themes. The new phones have some features that would be nice, but it'll take a while for all the bugs to be worked out and for customization options to become available.
I'm perfectly happy to hang on to my X for a couple years until a truly game-changing new phone is available, and even then I'll probably wait til its been out a few months before switching. Just the way I roll :)
So its up to you, and if I were upgrading right now, I would probably give the thunderbolt a look, but I don't think you would regret getting the X.

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt is 4G correct? I dont want a 4G yet. I rather wait until they have been out for awhile. The X is my final answer!! :) Thanks
I've only had my X for 3 months... as of right now, I don't see any of the new phones coming out this year being enough of an upgrade to give up the X for. JMHO but although there are some nice phones coming out, I don't see them being a huge upgrade from the X. Plus, the X has huge dev support and it'll take me 2 years to go through all the stuff available for it, such as ROMs and themes. The new phones have some features that would be nice, but it'll take a while for all the bugs to be worked out and for customization options to become available.
I'm perfectly happy to hang on to my X for a couple years until a truly game-changing new phone is available, and even then I'll probably wait til its been out a few months before switching. Just the way I roll :)
So its up to you, and if I were upgrading right now, I would probably give the thunderbolt a look, but I don't think you would regret getting the X.

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
Ya the TB is 4G. Sounds like we think alike lol. Besides, 4G won't be available in my area for quite a while... Enjoy the X!

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah it has are huge backing now, but the question is will the backing dwindle as all these new phones are released. Plus, GB is probably the last update that the X is going to get and with a locked bootloader you won't be able to upgrade to a new OS. So the question isn't are you cool with the X for 20 months it's are you cool with GB for 20 months. My answer to that question would be no. Some people already have their X well that's fine but you'll be starting your 20 months after the EOL. While GB isn't the most innovative upgrade, the update that ties both GB and Honeycomb together will probably be something you want to have and with the X you're almost guaranteed to never see it. Just my .02.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it has are huge backing now, but the question is will the backing dwindle as all these new phones are released. Plus, GB is probably the last update that the X is going to get and with a locked bootloader you won't be able to upgrade to a new OS. So the question isn't are you cool with the X for 20 months it's are you cool with GB for 20 months. My answer to that question would be no. Some people already have their X well that's fine but you'll be starting your 20 months after the EOL. While GB isn't the most innovative upgrade, the update that ties both GB and Honeycomb together will probably be something you want to have and with the X you're almost guaranteed to never see it. Just my .02.

imho, listen to the man - he's always dead on!

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
Thank you! :) I cant wait (doing the happy dance) :icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
Ya the TB is 4G. Sounds like we think alike lol. Besides, 4G won't be available in my area for quite a while... Enjoy the X!

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score

I see your point, but I honestly couldn't care less about GB or ice cream sandwich or whatever they're gonna call it. I run custom ROMs and theme it the way I like it so my phone looks nothing like froyo anyway. Granted, I will miss out on some newer ROMs, but what I've got now and what is available work just fine for me. I've never been one to jump on every bandwagon that rolls by, and when I've got a setup that works for me, I stick with it.
As far as the locked bootloader, on one level, it bugs me that moto did that, and I understand that it limits what can be done as far as ROMing, but for the most part, it has been worked around and some great ROMs and themes are available.
Again, this is just my take, and I don't deny your point, but the X will work just fine for me.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Hey, if it'll work just fine for you, by all means go for it. As long as your happy with your phone, that's what counts.
@husker thanks for the vote of confidence!

OP
cece5702

cece5702

Reaction score
I agree with the Dr. The END !!!!!! :)

I see your point, but I honestly couldn't care less about GB or ice cream sandwich or whatever they're gonna call it. I run custom ROMs and theme it the way I like it so my phone looks nothing like froyo anyway. Granted, I will miss out on some newer ROMs, but what I've got now and what is available work just fine for me. I've never been one to jump on every bandwagon that rolls by, and when I've got a setup that works for me, I stick with it.
As far as the locked bootloader, on one level, it bugs me that moto did that, and I understand that it limits what can be done as far as ROMing, but for the most part, it has been worked around and some great ROMs and themes are available.
Again, this is just my take, and I don't deny your point, but the X will work just fine for me.